SD's Sports Mount Rushmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SD's Sports Mount Rushmore

Mueller is my favorite basketball player of all time. I cannot talk about him objectively at all. I absolutely loved watching him play basketball. In high school he was cocky, full of himself, and an asshole. Watching him as many times as I did when he was in college, it is impossible to call him a selfish player. He worked harder than any person on the court, ever single possession. He would be on the floor for every loose ball, be in the middle of ever single scrap, and would stick up for his teammates at every single chance.

He was one of the best passer's I've ever seen and had UNLIMITED range. Watching him pull up from 30+ feet on fast breaks and bomb away was one of the greatest things ever. Especially when everyone in the gym new it was going to happen except the guys guarding him. He was one of the quickest players I've ever seen as well. He could get to 5th gear in a heart beat. He is 1st all time at USD in steals and assists and I think 2nd in points.

There were more talented players than him (but not many ) but when he was on the court, everything clicked. A lot of people said Turner was a more talented player than Josh, and he might have been, but losing Josh hurt a lot more than losing Turner.

Every single person and fan on opposing teams hated him, and he thrived on that stuff. When Richardson bit his thigh at the beginning of that game, it was one of the worst things that could have happened for State. He played possessed after that.

In summation: I had (have) a giant man-crush Josh Mueller. Of course, I was completely kidding when I said he should be on the SD sports Mt. Rushmore. Still my favorite player of all time.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
      Mueller is my favorite basketball player of all time. I cannot talk about him objectively at all. I absolutely loved watching him play basketball. In high school he was cocky, full of himself, and an asshole. Watching him as many times as I did when he was in college, it is impossible to call him a selfish player. He worked harder than any person on the court, ever single possession. He would be on the floor for every loose ball, be in the middle of ever single scrap, and would stick up for his teammates at every single chance.

He was one of the best passer's I've ever seen and had UNLIMITED range. Watching him pull up from 30+ feet on fast breaks and bomb away was one of the greatest things ever. Especially when everyone in the gym new it was going to happen except the guys guarding him. He was one of the quickest players I've ever seen as well. He could get to 5th gear in a heart beat. He is 1st all time at USD in steals and assists and I think 2nd in points.

There were more talented players than him (but not many ) but when he was on the court, everything clicked. A lot of people said Turner was a more talented player than Josh, and he might have been, but losing Josh hurt a lot more than losing Turner.

Every single person and fan on opposing teams hated him, and he thrived on that stuff. When Richardson bit his thigh at the beginning of that game, it was one of the worst things that could have happened for State. He played possessed after that.

In summation: I had (have) a giant man-crush Josh Mueller. Of course, I was completely kidding when I said he should be on the SD sports Mt. Rushmore. Still my favorite player of all time.
      admitting you have a man crush automatically revokes your man card. Wayne Gretsky maybe, but Mueller, lame.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        admitting you have a man crush automatically revokes your man card. Wayne Gretsky maybe, but Mueller, lame.
        Hmm. Revoke it multiple times then, one for Tony Romo, Joe Mauer, DeMarcus Ware, Jason Witten, Scott Baker and Joe Nathen.

Oh, and Wes Beschoner.

I will defend all of those guys to the death and am not capable of having an objective conversation about any of them.

Comment

Hmm. Revoke it multiple times then, one for Tony Romo, Joe Mauer, DeMarcus Ware, Jason Witten, Scott Baker and Joe Nathen.

Oh, and Wes Beschoner.

I will defend all of those guys to the death and am not capable of having an objective conversation about any of them.
          I won't revoke your man card for having man crushes on the Twin ones. The Cowboy ones, not so much, man card revoked

Comment

Oh, and Wes Beschoner.

and i have a man crush on derek jeter and jorge posada. i love them guys. ok yankee haters(mango), start bashing.

Comment

"Man Crushes?" You guys need a life.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                and i have a man crush on derek jeter and jorge posada. i love them guys. ok yankee haters(mango), start bashing.
                Booing Jeter and A-Rod during every at-bat at the Dome last year was one of the best things ever. Twins won the first game I went to and the second game they were down 4-1 going into the 8th and they got 2 guys on and the Yanks brought Mo-Rivera. The idiot infront of us in the #42 Yankee jersey proclaimed the game was over. That was before D-Young went oppo on him on a 1-2 count. That is probably the loudest I've ever heard any stadium during a sporting event. The real best closer in baseball came in and pitched 2 scoreless before the rest of the Twins sh*tty bullpen folded and gave up a bomb to straight away to A-Roid.

Still, that was one of the best baseball games I've ever been to.

Threaaaad Driiiiift.

And Yankees suck.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                  "Man Crushes?" You guys need a life.
                  Bingo rep pts

Comment

Surprised noone mentioned Norm Van Brocklin or Ward Lambert.

Van Brocklin won 2 Superbowls, was the first punter in college and NFL, still holds the NFL single game passing record, was a NFL broadcaster and is a member of the NFL Hall of Fame.

Lambert won a 371 games while coaching at Purdue, won a mythical National Championship, had the Purdue arena named after him at one time, won 11 Big Ten titles, coached John Wooden, was an author of basketball instructional books and is a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

If you open it up to people that weren't born here it would change the whole thing. SoDak born people would have to have Sparky, Van Brocklin, Lambert and then either Adam Vinatieri or Randy Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                      Me, a Yankee hater? Never

Actually I don't mind Jeter, speaking of man crushes the one the media has on Jeter is HUGE. Posada on the other hand not a huge fan of.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                        Van Brocklin won 2 Superbowls
                        Weren't they callled NFL championships back then?

Also, IMO, Stu actually makes a good point about simply being born in SD, vs. growing up here.

Van Brocklin & Lambert (like Sparky Anderson) were merely born in SD.

Comment

In the March/April 2006 issue of South Dakota Magazine, Hod Nielsen, a longtime sportswriter in Yankton, put together his list of 12 of South Dakota’s greatest athletes. Some of the names have already been mentioned on here, but some have not, so I just thought I’d throw out his list for discussion. They are, in no particular order:

1. Pete Retzlaff, track and football at SDSU, 11 years with the Philadelphia Eagles.
                          2. Jim Iverson, Platte High School and Kansas State basketball star, SDSU coach.
                          3. Larry Jacobson, defensive lineman for Sioux Falls O’Gorman, Nebraska and New York Giants for three years.
                          4. Carroll Hardy, Sturgis High School football, basketball and track star, football at Colorado, played Major League Baseball for eight years. Was the only person ever to pinch-hit for Ted Williams (and hit his first home run pinch hitting for Roger Maris).
                          5. Randy Lewis, Olympic wrestler from Rapid City Stevens.
                          6. Lyle Alzado, football at Yankton College.
                          7. George Amundson, Aberdeen Central in football, basketball, track and baseball. QB at Iowa State, led them to Sun Bowl and played three NFL seasons.
                          8. Smokey Joe Mendel, star trackster from Onida.
                          9. Dick Green, second baseman for the Oakland A’s world championship teams (1972-74)
                          10. Garney Henley, Hayti basketball star, Canadian Football League legend.
                          11. Billy Mills, Olympic runner from Pine Ridge.
                          12. Dave Collins, from Rapid City, played 16 years in MLB, stole 79 bases in 1979.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyjackrabbit View Post
                            In the March/April 2006 issue of South Dakota Magazine, Hod Nielsen, a longtime sportswriter in Yankton, put together his list of 12 of South Dakota’s greatest athletes. Some of the names have already been mentioned on here, but some have not, so I just thought I’d throw out his list for discussion. They are, in no particular order:

1. Pete Retzlaff, track and football at SDSU, 11 years with the Philadelphia Eagles.
                            2. Jim Iverson, Platte High School and Kansas State basketball star, SDSU coach.
                            3. Larry Jacobson, defensive lineman for Sioux Falls O’Gorman, Nebraska and New York Giants for three years.
                            4. Carroll Hardy, Sturgis High School football, basketball and track star, football at Colorado, played Major League Baseball for eight years. Was the only person ever to pinch-hit for Ted Williams (and hit his first home run pinch hitting for Roger Maris).
                            5. Randy Lewis, Olympic wrestler from Rapid City Stevens.
                            6. Lyle Alzado, football at Yankton College.
                            7. George Amundson, Aberdeen Central in football, basketball, track and baseball. QB at Iowa State, led them to Sun Bowl and played three NFL seasons.
                            8. Smokey Joe Mendel, star trackster from Onida.
                            9. Dick Green, second baseman for the Oakland A’s world championship teams (1972-74)
                            10. Garney Henley, Hayti basketball star, Canadian Football League legend.
                            11. Billy Mills, Olympic runner from Pine Ridge.
                            12. Dave Collins, from Rapid City, played 16 years in MLB, stole 79 bases in 1979.

What about Karl Mecklenburg for the Broncos?
                            Our very own Rod DeHaven!

Comment

Hod Neilsen goes back a long ways and I believe he is pushing 90, but he covered a great deal of sports, and being a USD alum and supporter, I was surprised that he picked Pete Retzlaff as number one.

No doubt Mecklinburg and Ron Dehaven should be included on the list, but with all lists with a limit, you end up leaving some one out and its not right, but its Hod's opinion and the list I suppose could be endless.

Comment

Why would Mecklenburg be on the South Dakota list? Did he play a year at Augie?

Comment

Working...
                                X