Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SD's Sports Mount Rushmore

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
    Eric Kline played in a whole different era, you honestly don't think if he would have been playing in today's era he would have been heavily recruited? Kline also made the decision to stay in Aberdeen and attend Northern. Kline is the all time leading scorer, points in a season, FG made in a season, 3-pt made in a season and points/game in a season at Northern. Pretty good justification there.

I'm glad you were able to get on Northern's home page and see all his records, and he actually transferred back to Aberdeen, he didn't stay there.
    Better Justification is SD all time leading scorer in college.(Augie/Northern)

I never said he wouldn't of been heavily recruited, just still no comparison to a NBA Rookie of the Year.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      I think Mueller and Krogman should make anyone's list of top athletes but in my view, not the "Mt. Rushmore" top athletes. Mueller was one of those guys who you hated to have against you but wouldn't mind having on your team -- not unlike former Watertown and U of Missouri standout Jason Sutherland.

It seems everyone's favorites are determined, at least in part, by their knowledge of or having lived in a certain era and their familiarity with a particular sport. I don't know much about rodeo but continually hear about Casey Tibbs -- I guess he was one of the best ever. SDSU's cross country and track coach Rod DeHaven would make a lot of short lists.

Anyone consider Frank Leahy? Leahy played under Rockne at Notre Dame and then coached the Fighting Irish to some national titles. He was born in O'Neill, NE but grew up in Winner SD. There's no statue of Rockne outside Notre Dame's stadium but there is one of SD's Frank Leahy.
      I believe the baseball field in Winner is called the Leahy Bowl correct?

Comment

Let's not forget that our Austin Hansen, when a senior, was named "Mr. Basketball" in South Dakota and the runner-up was Mike Miller.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I think Mueller and Krogman should make anyone's list of top athletes but in my view, not the "Mt. Rushmore" top athletes. Mueller was one of those guys who you hated to have against you but wouldn't mind having on your team -- not unlike former Watertown and U of Missouri standout Jason Sutherland.

It seems everyone's favorites are determined, at least in part, by their knowledge of or having lived in a certain era and their familiarity with a particular sport. I don't know much about rodeo but continually hear about Casey Tibbs -- I guess he was one of the best ever. SDSU's cross country and track coach Rod DeHaven would make a lot of short lists.

Anyone consider Frank Leahy? Leahy played under Rockne at Notre Dame and then coached the Fighting Irish to some national titles. He was born in O'Neill, NE but grew up in Winner SD. There's no statue of Rockne outside Notre Dame's stadium but there is one of SD's Frank Leahy.
          My comment was very tounge-in-cheek. Mueller I HATED in high school, but after watching him play for 4 years (and those were the years I went to probably every home basketball game and the away ones at SDSU, Augie and UNO) he is my favorite basketball player ever. He's what made those teams tick. But I wasn't being serious about him and Louie being the best ever.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
            Let's not forget that our Austin Hansen, when a senior, was named "Mr. Basketball" in South Dakota and the runner-up was Mike Miller.

Good call w/Austin being Mr. Basketball--except Mike wasn't runner-up, he was co-Mr. Basketball with Austin.

Comment

Yep, the Leahy Bowl in Winner, SD.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post

austin was the argus leader player of the year. mike and austin shared the mr basketball

Comment

What about Dick Green of the Oakland A's, Smokey Joe Mendel, Lyle Alzado, Clint Johnson PRCA Champ. Tipperary (world champion bucking horse ridden only twice)

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                    What about Dick Green of the Oakland A's, Smokey Joe Mendel, Lyle Alzado, Clint Johnson PRCA Champ. Tipperary (world champion bucking horse ridden only twice)
                    There are number of PRCA Champions from SD particularly in saddle bronc. The Etbauers would come to mind with Billy in particular winning many. Heck, he finished 2nd last year and he's in his 40's.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...#pluckcomments

Stu wrote an article questioning South Dakota's picks for it's sports Mount Rushmore. Can't say as if I disagree with his choices: Billy Mills, Adam Vintieri, Mike Miller, and Casey Tibbs.

I also can't believe South Dakotans choose Brock Lesner as one of the top four.
                      You can argue back and forth about who the best SD athlete's were, but you can't argue about the fact, that Maynard Ferguson is the greatest Canadian too ever live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be0LanEZs5Q
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

How about Eric Piatkowski? I keep hearing about Kline, but I'd take Pike anyday of the week.

I didn't read all of the posts, but has anybody mentioned Mark Ellis? He's had a pretty good career thus far with the A's and with Post 22.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Sparky Anderson is a South Dakota native that should get some consideration. He played in the MLB but is most known for his time as the manager for the Reds and Tigers. Ranks third all time in wins and is the only manager to lead a World Series winner in the American and National Leauges.

You could also put Stig up there for ending the Fargo curse (just kidding).

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

What about Post 22's coach? He's been there forever and has a lot of success!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                              Sparky Anderson is a South Dakota native that should get some consideration. He played in the MLB but is most known for his time as the manager for the Reds and Tigers. Ranks third all time in wins and is the only manager to lead a World Series winner in the American and National Leauges.

SUPERBUNNY

He's on ESPN's list.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
                                I agree Sparky should be one of the top four, but Tony Larussa has also won WS titles in both leagues.

Comment

Working...
                                X