No announcement yet.

102-90? A Boys AA Game in South Dakota?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 102-90? A Boys AA Game in South Dakota?

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    No phyical stamia condition will get your entire team to last 20 minute let alone 40.
    I am sorry but I do not agree. There are ways to condition an athlete to be able to handle that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      I am sorry but I do not agree. There are ways to condition an athlete to be able to handle that situation.
      u are probably right. All I know from experience, are people's reactions and bean counting. So dont want to appear to be an expert. It just seems a person and even a young one, the lung capacity just gives out after a period of perpetual motion. I am sure Jackmd, could probably fill a book on how the lungs work. This was what my thoughts were when I mentioned conditioning, but I guess one does not have to be constant motion to set up a good corner court trap which would allow a certain amount of recovery in the process. Yes a great deal of running in practice would condition a team for just about anything that they may face. I sure you know more. So more or less accept your statement without further arguement.

I think we can agree that pressure defense seems or appears to me to be used sparingly, or at least I have not seen much. I really don't watch every ESPN game in fact very little, and if I did I might have a clue. which dont have.

Comment

u are probably right. All I know from experience, are people's reactions and bean counting. So dont want to appear to be an expert. It just seems a person and even a young one, the lung capacity just gives out after a period of perpetual motion. I am sure Jackmd, could probably fill a book on how the lungs work. This was what my thoughts were when I mentioned conditioning, but I guess one does not have to be constant motion to set up a good corner court trap which would allow a certain amount of recovery in the process. Yes a great deal of running in practice would condition a team for just about anything that they may face. I sure you know more. So more or less accept your statement without further arguement.

I think we can agree that pressure defense seems or appears to me to be used sparingly, or at least I have not seen much. I really don't watch every ESPN game in fact very little, and if I did I might have a clue. which dont have.
        I am not trying to argue with you at all. A finely conditioned athlete can exercise continuously at 90% of their VO2 Max for a period of at least 30 minutes without having to slow down. Lung capacity is just one piece of the puzzle. Other things that are involved are heart rate, lactate accumulation, muscle fiber type, and others physiological mechanisms. Now basketball players are conditioned differently than marathon runners, it is a case of "specificity" (training an athlete for their specific sport). OK, I am now done with the Exercise Science Class.

I will agree with you that pressure defense is used sparingly. It takes a great committment from the players. But seeing a score of 102-90 in a AA basketball game is mind boggling.
        Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM.

Comment

If you haven't abused your lungs (smokers, welders, farm dust) and you don't have an underlying lung condition (asthma, fibrosis, chronic bronchitis) its almost impossible for a VERY WELL CONDITIONED young person to reach the extent of their lungs capacity.

Many people mistake shortness-of-breath as an indication that there is something wrong with the lungs. Sometimes there is but for most of us the sob is a consequence of deconditioned muscles (including the heart) that lead to tachycardia, early anaerobic metabolism to lactate and the subsequent development of fatigue/exhaustion. Healthy, well conditioned (both physically and mentally) athletes can play all 40 minutes of a basketball game at 100%.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            If you haven't abused your lungs (smokers, welders, farm dust) and you don't have an underlying lung condition (asthma, fibrosis, chronic bronchitis) its almost impossible for a VERY WELL CONDITIONED young person to reach the extent of their lungs capacity.

Many people mistake shortness-of-breath as an indication that there is something wrong with the lungs. Sometimes there is but for most of us the sob is a consequence of deconditioned muscles (including the heart) that lead to tachycardia, early anaerobic metabolism to lactate and the subsequent development of fatigue/exhaustion. Healthy, well conditioned (both physically and mentally) athletes can play all 40 minutes of a basketball game at 100%.
            Can we get a translation in English please?

Comment

Thanks for the explanations. They where helpful.

Comment

Some one on this board made a reference to Brayden Carlsen being a grand nephew of the legendary Don Jacobsen. I am sure those of us who have Hamlin County connects can probably establish that. The way Brayden is finding the bucket, I tend to believe this is indeed true that he is a relative of Don Jacobsen.
                It is indeed true. I asked Brayden's dad, Gary. Gary's mother is Don's sister.

Comment

Pierre must be onto something as far as scoring goes. I see tonight they lost to Watertown 99-87. Of course, they are scoring alot but also allowing points as well. If they indeed did change their system as a previous post said, it was for the better as they have won 3 of 5.

Comment

I caught the tail end of the Watertown/Pierre game on radio after watching the Watertown/Pierre girls game. Pierre puts on a full-court press and if beaten: layup. Watertown shot 62% for the game; Pierre shot 48%.

I understand Pierre's new scheme is fun to watch and their opponents better be prepared to run with them if they want to have a shot at winning.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                      It is indeed true. I asked Brayden's dad, Gary. Gary's mother is Don's sister.
                      Good news, well between his dad and grand uncle Brayden has some family legends to follow and maybe exceed.

Comment

Working...
                      X