Clear All

Re: 2010 Recruiting

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
    sdsu is going to be just fine.
    Amen

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      As far as the quality of a Purdue education goes, you get out of college what you put into it, and because of that, it doesn't really matter where you go, as long as it's accredited.

The idea, for instance, that Purdue offers a better education than SDSU is no more sustainable than asserting the opposite (that SDSU offers a better education than Purdue).
      Having been a professor at both universities (and as a graduate of both SDSU and a Big Ten school) I can say you're right... and you're wrong.

There is no arguing the fact that Purdue offers more opportunities to its students than SDSU does. More majors. More facilities. More professors with international reputations. More student organizations. More athletic facilities. More money (Purdue's annual budget is about the same as the budget of the entire state of South Dakota). Essentially, Purdue offers more, and a wider variety of everything.

I wouldn't be at SDSU if I didn't think this institution does a fantastic job of educating young people. Students get a great college experience here, with plenty of opportunity and they earn a degree with excellent marketplace value. But we simply cannot match the breadth of opportunities that await students at a Big Ten university.

That said, Zooropa is correct. When it comes to college, one size does not fit all. Some young people might feel lost among the 40,000 students at Purdue. Others might thrive there. Depends on the kid, and on what he or she puts into the experience.

For her sake, I hope Ostarello thrives there. The experience of not fitting in or feeling comfortable somewhere isn't a good one. I really don't wish her anything but success at Purdue. There are plenty of players who want to come to SDSU and play.
      Last edited by JimmyJack; 02-06-2009, 08:11 AM.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Sorry, didn't know this had all been hashed over before,so South Dakota State did make a play to recruit Sam O.All you can do is put up an offer, it's the player who decides where she wants to go , for varying reasons.
        Back to the purpose of this thread, future recruits, not one's that got away.
        And , being the optomist that i am, i must say the future looks bright!
        Last edited by shinman; 02-06-2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Moved Sam Ostarello posts

At a member's suggestion, I'm moving posts about 2009 class member Sam Ostarello, the Purdue signee from Stanley County, which have been appearing in the SDSU 2010 recruits thread, to this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
            I didn't think better of my remarks. While I think a lot of an SDSU education, an education in the Big Ten has its advantages. Maybe not necessarily with logical folks like yourself, but with outsiders who think an education at SDSU can't be equal to more high-profile schools of the Big Ten. Those people are out there.

Either way, for the sake of not clogging up the board or this thread any more, you can PM me if you want to continue this peeing match. I tried to give it up a few posts ago.
            I am currently working as a structural engineer in Billings, MT which is 120 miles from Montana State U, an engineering school. Our department currently has 4 graduates of SDSU and 4 from MSU. Our department head has told me he thinks the education the SDSU folks have gotten is much better than the ones MSU grads have gotten hence the reason he has as many SDSU grads as MSU grads.

What's my point? If people actually have a clue they know an SDSU education is a very valuable thing. I know I wouldn't choose a different path if I could go back in time. SDSU has been very good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
              I wonder if she has any regrets about that decision now considering SDSU has gone bigtime (meaning national rankings) since she made that choice. It wouldn't be completely out of the question for her to pull a Jill Young and commit back to SDSU. (hey, we can always hope at least )
              No offense to the success Aaron's team has had this year, but a few weeks in the lower half of the top 25 isn't "big time" yet. Sustained excellence is what brings you to an elite level, where only a few schools in women's basketball are bigger than big.

When you talk about that pantheon, there's Tennessee, UConn, Duke, Texas, Old Dominion and (yes) Purdue.

Why Purdue?

NCAA Champion — 1999
              NCAA Runner-up — 2001
              Big Ten Champion — 1991, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002
              Big Ten Tournament Champion — 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008
              NCAA Participant — 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

This isn't the same as Jill Young choosing Creighton, nowhere near it. It's more like if Joe Krabbenhoft or Colton Iverson picked UCLA, Kentucky, Duke or North Carolina in men's basketball. That's the stature Purdue has in the women's game.

Comment

Re: Moved Sam Ostarello posts

Sfsd, I agree and disagree.

I agree that Purdue is one of the "elite" programs but you are wrong if you think that SDSU's WBB isn't in the "big time". What they have done in a short amount of time at this level is incredible. Over time that will build into a tradition.

All of the "big time" programs are very aware of what is happening at SDSU. When they are paying attention, to me, that is the very definition that you have made it to that level. Elite level no, big time you bet!

Wow, those USD guys have me grumpy today from the smack threads.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Purdue is one of the great "big time" women's basketball schools . . . SDSU has a chance to crash the "big time" party, if we keep it up for a few more years.

So far, so good. But let's at least beat a Top 10 team and/or get to an NCAA Regional before we get too far ahead of ourselves.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Purdue is one of the great "big time" women's basketball schools . . . SDSU has a chance to crash the "big time" party, if we keep it up for a few more years.

So far, so good. But let's at least beat a Top 10 team and/or get to an NCAA Regional before we get too far ahead of ourselves.
                    I'd like to see SDSU as the LA Tech for the next 15-20 years. Perienial top 25, Dominent in our conference, and Sweet 16, elite 8 several times. Start with this season ladies!

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post
                      No offense to the success Aaron's team has had this year, but a few weeks in the lower half of the top 25 isn't "big time" yet. Sustained excellence is what brings you to an elite level, where only a few schools in women's basketball are bigger than big.

When you talk about that pantheon, there's Tennessee, UConn, Duke, Texas, Old Dominion and (yes) Purdue.

Why Purdue?

NCAA Champion — 1999
                      NCAA Runner-up — 2001
                      Big Ten Champion — 1991, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002
                      Big Ten Tournament Champion — 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008
                      NCAA Participant — 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

This isn't the same as Jill Young choosing Creighton, nowhere near it. It's more like if Joe Krabbenhoft or Colton Iverson picked UCLA, Kentucky, Duke or North Carolina in men's basketball. That's the stature Purdue has in the women's game.
                      I agree that we aren't quite at the level of Purdue yet. But, you need to remember (and I'm sure you do) that we were playing St. Cloud State five years ago, and now we are a top 25 team in Division I. That being the same ranking that Purdue strives to reach every year as well (that they aren't in right now either). I'm gonna call that big time.

If you want to talk about the nostalgic history of Purdue go ahead. I am aware of it. Call Purdue 'really big time' if it makes you happy. What Purdue has done the past 20 years (and beyond) is amazing. But, it also does not take anything away from the success that SDSU women's basketball has had since the transition, where we are at now, and what we will do in the future. I want the best in the state to go to SDSU, and quite frankly I don't give a damn about Purdue's 'history'.

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      I am currently working as a structural engineer in Billings, MT which is 120 miles from Montana State U, an engineering school. Our department currently has 4 graduates of SDSU and 4 from MSU. Our department head has told me he thinks the education the SDSU folks have gotten is much better than the ones MSU grads have gotten hence the reason he has as many SDSU grads as MSU grads.

What's my point? If people actually have a clue they know an SDSU education is a very valuable thing. I know I wouldn't choose a different path if I could go back in time. SDSU has been very good to me.
                      I totally agree with this post. I was in a similar situation actually while on an engineering coop with a student from Purdue. This guy knew what he was doing, (not to sound any more self-centric than I already have) but he wasn't any more capable than I was. Calculus is calculus no matter where you learn it. Ohms law works the same at Purdue as it does at SDSU as well.

Your education is exactly what you put into it, no matter where you go. Even at little ol' SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                        I totally agree with this post. I was in a similar situation actually while on an engineering coop with a student from Purdue. This guy knew what he was doing, (not to sound any more self-centric than I already have) but he wasn't any more capable than I was. Calculus is calculus no matter where you learn it. Ohms law works the same at Purdue as it does at SDSU as well.

Your education is exactly what you put into it, no matter where you go. Even at little ol' SDSU.

To expand on an SDSU education a little more. Research at SDSU is expanding at leaps and bounds. The Lohr Structures Laboratory is starting to test many large scale structural specimens which gives students like myself chances to be involved in large scale testing on structural specimens. I was a graduate student that completed the testing on the first large scale specimen that came through that laboratory and testing has only grown from there.

This research growth is not just in engineering, but all across campus. SDSU is growing and growing fast. It is great to be associated with SDSU.

Even a little Ol SDSU education is valuable. You get out of it what you put into it......that's a simple fact.

Comment

It's the same ole story in college athletic's, you call it "history", i call it "same old boring reality", the same schools get ranked & achieve year after year, because of thier rich "history".That's why South Dakota State U. is a breath of fresh air in this ,stale, stagnant , environment.That's also why we've attracted so much attention from the news media.We're the little engine that can, or the fish swimming upstream , etc,etc.If we do well in the tournement then we'll have done more than Purdue ever will for generating interest in the NCAA tournement.The difference being these schools are "expected" to do well, where as we are fighting against all odds,& the further we go , the more people will rally around the "little engine that can".
                          I might add, i don't think one championship in (19) tries is that great for Purdue either, i think they're kind of under achievers

Comment

Congrats to Ostarello.

http://purduesports.cstv.com/sports/...021309aac.html

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                              Wow. That's an incredible accomplishment. Think if SDSU could have landed her.....

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                Wow. That's an incredible accomplishment. Think if SDSU could have landed her.....
                                Actually, I have a suspicion that if she hadn't signed with Purdue, she wouldn't have been considered for the all-star game . . .
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X