X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCC is gone

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    http://www.columbiamissourian.com/st...sary-at-misso/

"Since their creation in 1976, the Antlers, a rowdy, organized fan group, have been scrutinized for their antics. In 1985, the group mocked then-Oklahoma coach Billy Tubbs. Tubbs had been struck by a hit-and-run driver. The group made a cardboard car which it paraded around Hearnes Center and pretended to hit a fellow member dressed as a jogger.

Seven years later, the Antlers waved a hog’s head on a pole in front of then-Arkansas coach Nolan Richardson and his team. Over time, reports of the story have varied from the Antlers spilling pig’s blood on Richardson’s suit to brandishing several hogs’ heads."

“Whenever something happens that crosses the line, we do our best to deal with that,” he said.

(Norm) Stewart, the MU basketball coach from 1967 to 1999, said he liked the Antlers because they made basketball games more fun. He keeps in touch with Miller and Geary....

“All of those guys showed a lot of imagination, a lot of creativity and they were also controllable,” he said. “Sometimes they lost it, but they would still come back to center.”

Geary described the Antlers’ harassing as a mingling of art and science.

“It’s a combination of journalistic research techniques combined with psychology and theater when it’s done well,” he said."

I used to enjoy hurling invectives at Norm Stewart's SCI/UNI teams when I was at SDSU and lost interest in Mizzou basketball when he was booted out as coach and replaced with that pretty-boy. He was the real deal-- nasty and passionate whether he was on your side or the opposition.

I'm a dinosaur long removed from Brookings but I'm amazed at how thin skins have gotten there over the last four decades. IMHO the level of goofiness at MU-KU games has far exceeded even the wildest of times at Brookings and Vermillion-- and they were wild and over the line in the sixties even though both programs lacked. Although this article ran in the Columbia paper, which could have lessened reaction-- there wasn't a single negative comment from JayHawk or RazorBack fans about things being over the line. Look at what goes on in the ACC.

Amen.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

A couple of things to consider about the Antlers...

1. They're parked behind the basket, apparently USD fans have more access to Jacks fans for personal insults (is this true?)

2. They're not drunk. Apparently USD fans-- including adults and members of the administration-- are. (I don't remember being drunk at USD-State games. In the afternoon maybe, but standing in line in fifteen degree weather to get into either of those old venues would sober you up.) I do remember having a hangover during a game from fun earlier in the day. Both the Varsity in Vermillion and Horts in Brookings had lots of dancing and drinking in the early afternoon. Played a gig at Horts before a USD game, we took a cut of the house and SHOULD have made a lot of money. However, that was then, this is now...

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        That's because KU fans would never be caught reading the Columbia newspaper!

Also, if you want to read some nasty comments about KU-MU check out every single article ever written that is on the Kansas City Star website. It gets pretty out of hand on there. And I wouldn't call it goofiness so much as pure hatred. As a transplant to Lawrence I will never fully appreciate the absolute hatred that the State of Kansas holds for the State of Missouri and vice versa. Its much deeper than a big rivalry. Its the Civil War history (many argue the Civil War started between KS and MO in the mid 1850s), Bleeding Kansas, John Brown and the Pottawatamie massacre, Free State vs. Slave State, Quantrill's Raiders burning Lawrence to the ground, etc. That history is what the KU-MU rivalry is built on. And trust me, even though its 150 years later, people haven't forgotten, check this T shirt.

http://www.spreadshirt.com/us/US/-/D.../2489972/buy/1
        That shirt made me laugh, I would give you rep points but I must spread some out before I give them to you again

Comment

Having spent more than 30 years in Missouri I'll have to post the 2007 fan t-shirt for Mizzou, "We burned your town to the ground". (look at the comment section to find a bunch of idiots still reliving the Civil War)

http://www.fanhouse.com/2007/11/12/w...to-the-ground/

"You know what the best part of Kansas and Missouri having their best ever seasons at the very same time is? The entire nation will get exposed to what is possibly the most bitter and hateful rivalry in the country in all it's glory (or shame, if you prefer). You can have your Ohio State v. Michigan or Alabama v. Auburn, but the last time I checked nobody from Columbus ever went to Ann Arbor and systematically executed every man they could find while burning the town to the ground. And certainly nobody made t-shirts later celebrating that fact."

Puts flying rabbits and coyotes into perspective.
          Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 01-01-2009, 07:42 PM.

Comment

My Mom always told me that just because someone did something really stupid I didn't have a reason to act a little less stupid.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I don't think that burning down Vermillion is an option at this point, only that there are many, many rivalries out there that were more heated than USD-SDSU. Both Dakota rivalries were probably in the top fifty nationwide, however. As much as KU and MU hate each other, both administrations know that this is their BIG money game. They would never consider pulling the plug. However, I believe that's water under the bridge in South Dakota and the rivalry should be put on hold for 10-15 years and then re-started.

Comment

They are idiots. That is the main point I would make or have anyone consider about the Antlers. Terrible. MU can keep them, because I would never want them anywhere near my athletics.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  They are idiots. That is the main point I would make or have anyone consider about the Antlers. Terrible. MU can keep them, because I would never want them anywhere near my athletics.
                  Although my interest in MU has lessened greatly since the days of Norm Stewart, I don't think the Antlers are much different from the Buckeye Nuthouse, the Cameron Crazies, PSU's Nittwits (I guess they're Nittany Nation now), or any one of dozens of other student groups. The MU/KU rivalry is probably more distorted by bad historical karma than any other in the nation. It does bring in the cash to both schools, however.

One could make the argument the USD's behavior was worse than KU-MU since it was directed not just at students but older attendees. I loved all the crap at games in the sixties, however, now that I'm an old geezer I'd take great offense if my car was keyed, or I was attacked verbally or physically by the student section.

Comment

Although my interest in MU has lessened greatly since the days of Norm Stewart, I don't think the Antlers are much different from the Buckeye Nuthouse, the Cameron Crazies, PSU's Nittwits (I guess they're Nittany Nation now), or any one of dozens of other student groups. The MU/KU rivalry is probably more distorted by bad historical karma than any other in the nation. It does bring in the cash to both schools, however.

One could make the argument the USD's behavior was worse than KU-MU since it was directed not just at students but older attendees. I loved all the crap at games in the sixties, however, now that I'm an old geezer I'd take great offense if my car was keyed, or I was attacked verbally or physically by the student section.
                    The Cameron Crazies use to be crazy, but Coach K has tried to tone them down.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/cameron/hits.html

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      The Cameron Crazies use to be crazy, but Coach K has tried to tone them down.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/cameron/hits.html
                      Sounds no different than the Antlers. I'm sure everyone has toned down in the last twenty years.

Comment

1. They're parked behind the basket, apparently USD fans have more access to Jacks fans for personal insults (is this true?)
                        They were within 5 feet of the bench almost always and security did NOTHING to stop their verbal (aka exceptionally profane) comments to the players. Coaches would have the two or three end players on the bench stand with their backs to the students to try to shield them from the harrassment. Occasionally a few of the students would walk behind the bench (not possible at Frost). I saw them spit in the Gatorade container, jostle the table with full cups on it, so they spilled, etc. There were 30 seats in the three rows behind our bench reserved for SDSU fans (NCC rule to shield players from fans), but USD made no attempt to stop the students on the end.

When somebody really got out of hand, the security (responding to our pleas), would take them up to the exit and release them and minutes later the student would be back in the crowd. (If you want to hear some really nasty stuff about harassment from the fans behind us, PM me. I'm tired of reading or ranting on this subject, but wanted to answer your question.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          They were within 5 feet of the bench almost always and security did NOTHING to stop their verbal (aka exceptionally profane) comments to the players. Coaches would have the two or three end players on the bench stand with their backs to the students to try to shield them from the harrassment. Occasionally a few of the students would walk behind the bench (not possible at Frost). I saw them spit in the Gatorade container, jostle the table with full cups on it, so they spilled, etc. There were 30 seats in the three rows behind our bench reserved for SDSU fans (NCC rule to shield players from fans), but USD made no attempt to stop the students on the end.

When somebody really got out of hand, the security (responding to our pleas), would take them up to the exit and release them and minutes later the student would be back in the crowd. (If you want to hear some really nasty stuff about harassment from the fans behind us, PM me. I'm tired of reading or ranting on this subject, but wanted to answer your question.)
                          Actually you did PM me about a year ago. This clearly differs from the Cameron Crazies and the Antlers, both of whom don't personally attack fans of our advanced age. This is probably a good reason to formalize the obnoxious student group, give them interesting shirts and have them sit in their special section (if possible behind the basket).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post

Please PM me and tell me what nasty and naughty things you heard. I sincerely want to know. Then I will reply with the Psalms and other bible verses I heard when at Frost and CAS. Maybe we can have a seminar for USD fans on proper behavior.

p.s. If we put the seminar together, can you also have a brief seminar on how to rip your mens basketball coach and team? According to everyone in here, we will soon be there, so we should be properly trained on how to use a blog board to make crap of our team and coaches. You guys are very good at it.

Comment

An option for everybody concerned would be to let go of the past . . . it's a new day, a new Division, a chance for a new start.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                An option for everybody concerned would be to let go of the past . . . it's a new day, a new Division, a chance for a new start.
                                I would think a super moderator should be out on the town on a Saturday night, Filbert. Congrats on your womens win today, that's great.

See, I am trying to conport. j/k
                                Last edited by yoteforever; 01-03-2009, 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Working...
                                X