X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reily Reiff

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
    This thread is like the Energizer Bunny...it just keeps going and going and going...please make it stop.

And yes, I know I could just ignore it, but it's like a train wreck. Every time I see it's been updated I have to check back to see how ugly it's getting.
    I feel this way too, I could really say what the real underlying problem is in Mr. Reiff's life, but I would be totally misunderstood. Done this before and will never do it again.

I do think the Iowa Staff would do Mr. Reiff a big favor, by yanking the scholarship. Perhaps Mr. Reiff might start asking himself why did they do that? And could there be problems in my life I don't know about?

Comment

I don't know what the deal is with people saying pull his scholarship.... if we pulled every kids scholarship who fled from a cop then got a minor damn...... (not too many minors happen with out the kids running).... and then every other school in the area would be recruiting him...

There is a difference between drinking and doing drugs or getting a DUI.... Hey Ty Lawson got a DUI, UNC should probably pull his scholarship..... (thats worse then a minor and I don't see UNC pulling his scholarship)

I work with Riley's uncle, I work with a guy that went to high school with him and I have known Riley for almost 15 years.... He isn't an angel but isn't a bad kid, he is like most kids from Parkston and other rural towns.... he drinks and plays sports...... when a cop sees him they run.....

About out running them, he said he knew he could out run the cop that came up to him, he didn't know that he was that big of a deal to have them have 8 chase after him.....

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        I guess my main response is: I don't really care what his "side" of the story is. And I seriously doubt that Coach Ferentz has a "one screw up" policy, particularly considering the fact that in the previous 18 screw ups, many of those players were promptly relieved of their scholarships. Maybe Reilly shouldn't be so certain that he's "safe".

Does he regret embarrassing his family, the university, and its alumni, or is he just disappointed that he got caught?
        I talked to his family... they aren't embarrassed, dispointed maybe but embarrassed no..... The University... get real (If a minor embarrasses a school damn I think SDSU would be pretty damn embarrassed) The Alumni don't care as long as he can play on the field..... He said ya he was upset he got caught... What do you think you would be happy that you got caught.... Then the major newspaper comes up with a story that is misleading......

I forget sometimes here that there are perfect guys on here that never touched a beer before they turned 21, never ran from the cops and never got in trouble.....

Comment

You just don't get it Joe. Riley screwed up and if he isn't sorry about it he has more than a small problem. I also find it difficult to believe his parents aren't embarrassed. He has been given an opportunity that only a few kids are given every year and yet he chose to risk losing that opportunity. And, he chose to risk it at a very poor time in Iowa athletics. I'm not saying he should have his schollie pulled but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. The coach is going to be watching out for his own job at this point and from all accounts he should be. Alumni are upset with all the BS that has happened in the last year and that is where the money comes from. So, if you talk to Riley again, you should maybe remind him of the opportunity he's been given.........if he still has it.

Comment

This just proves the point..any publicity is good publicity. Before the incident, maybe 10% of Iowans knew who Riley was, now at least 75% of them know his name.

When he makes his first tackle three years from now, the common fan will be "hey, that's the guy that ran naked from the cops through the Pita Pit". Congrats Riley, the whole state of Iowa has taken notice.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              Then the major newspaper comes up with a story that is misleading......
              Which "major newspaper", joe? You obviously chose to ignore the stories in the Iowa papers, which originated the story in the first place. Why? I don't suppose you bothered to ask Reiff if he thought they were BS too?

I'm in no way an Argus Leader apologist. I think it's been fully explained in this thread the factors that made this incident news. But how can you blame just one media outlet for running the story without including every newspaper, TV station, radio station, website or blog in the country for running the same story?

I can't buy into any of the excuses that have been made for this incident because that's all they are -- excuses. Reiff has only himself to blame, and I sincerely hope he learns from this and gets his act together. If he's truly remorseful, there are plenty of ways available to him to express it.
              "You trusted us"

Comment

I've resisted posting on the topic of this thread (the old casting stones idea) but can't keep quiet anymore.

What do we know? He made a big mistake, is going to have to pay for it, and Iowa has had past problems from other players. We don't actually know anything else. I've read all the links posted (and a few other articles) and haven't found any reports of incidents involving Mr. Reiff. Have other incidents occurred? I do not know.

We also know that some members of the board believe in a zero tolerance policy for student athletes, others members do not. Some members have stated that these types of incidents occur at all institutions, others have said "so what, it is still bad."

I don't know what Iowa should do, but I do know that I don't know all the details. I also know that the details about this incident is what gave it the exposure it did. Does anybody really believe that it would have got the play it did if none of the stories, local, AP, whatever, did NOT include the word naked.

Will I keep reading posts on this thread? Yes, I am weak and can not allow any posts to be ignored. Feed my addiction.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Just so everyone knows, his name is actually Riley and not Reily. I made the mistake of taking the spelling from the title and used in my post.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    I forget sometimes here that there are perfect guys on here that never touched a beer before they turned 21, never ran from the cops and never got in trouble.....
                    It seems like everything is relative to you. My experience as a professor for 10 years suggests that your attitude is common among quite a few people your age. Everything seems to be a game. Get away with what you can. Push the limits and don't worry about consequences. There's no shame in law breaking. If they catch you doing something wrong, run. I've had students make jokes to me, their professor, about having to miss class to go to court. I've had them announce their legal problems in front of an entire class. I've had them shrug and tell me they missed class for a week because the new Grand Theft Auto came out and they played it too long. I've been lied to and when I've caught them, they just smile and say "you got me". Then I'll see the same kid in another class and get the same treatment. I've caught students cheating and have gotten the same "you got me" kind of reaction. No shame at all. Some your age seem to imagine that you exist in a vacuum and your actions have no connection to or consequences for anything or anyone else. Lie, cheat, whatever, so long as you get away with it. Wow.

I'm 43, but that's not the way I was raised. Sure, I goofed around and drank too much beer (I would note that I was always of legal age in college since the drinking age was 18 then.). I was never arrested for anything, but if I had been, I would have been deeply ashamed and my parents would have been embarrassed and disappointed. Moreover, nobody gave me a full ride scholarship, but if they had, you can bet I'd never have publicly embarrassed them. Actually, I did get a full ride in grad school, at Iowa, and I can't imagine betraying the people who were good enough to give it to me.

I sound like Grandpa Simpson (we wore an onion on our belts, which was the style at the time) but really as a parent I won't accept such relativism from my son. He's going to understand that his actions have real consequences, something that seems to be missing in many cases. And as an Iowa alum I can't accept that kind of attitude from Iowa student athletes who are granted an opportunity to play football and get a free $100,000 education from a Big Ten university. Nor could I accept it from SDSU student athlete

(By the way, don't kid yourself: Read any Hawkeye fan forum and you'll find thousands of angry alums who care about more than just wins and losses.)
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It seems like everything is relative to you. My experience as a professor for 10 years suggests that your attitude is common among quite a few people your age. Everything seems to be a game. Get away with what you can. Push the limits and don't worry about consequences. There's no shame in law breaking. If they catch you doing something wrong, run. I've had students make jokes to me, their professor, about having to miss class to go to court. I've had them announce their legal problems in front of an entire class. I've had them shrug and tell me they missed class for a week because the new Grand Theft Auto came out and they played it too long. I've been lied to and when I've caught them, they just smile and say "you got me". Then I'll see the same kid in another class and get the same treatment. I've caught students cheating and have gotten the same "you got me" kind of reaction. No shame at all. Some your age seem to imagine that you exist in a vacuum and your actions have no connection to or consequences for anything or anyone else. Lie, cheat, whatever, so long as you get away with it. Wow.

I'm 43, but that's not the way I was raised. Sure, I goofed around and drank too much beer (I would note that I was always of legal age in college since the drinking age was 18 then.). I was never arrested for anything, but if I had been, I would have been deeply ashamed and my parents would have been embarrassed and disappointed. Moreover, nobody gave me a full ride scholarship, but if they had, you can bet I'd never have publicly embarrassed them. Actually, I did get a full ride in grad school, at Iowa, and I can't imagine betraying the people who were good enough to give it to me.

I sound like Grandpa Simpson (we wore an onion on our belts, which was the style at the time) but really as a parent I won't accept such relativism from my son. He's going to understand that his actions have real consequences, something that seems to be missing in many cases. And as an Iowa alum I can't accept that kind of attitude from Iowa student athletes who are granted an opportunity to play football and get a free $100,000 education from a Big Ten university. Nor could I accept it from SDSU student athlete

(By the way, don't kid yourself: Read any Hawkeye fan forum and you'll find thousands of angry alums who care about more than just wins and losses.)
                      Nice rant and I agree 100%. I really have nothing to add to this thread, but if I did, you took the words right out of my mouth.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Amen, I'd add more but it just bounces of the ignorant as they come up with more excuses for unacceptable behavior while intoxicated. When you're actively involved in the behavior your brain does a pretty darn good job of convincing you its okay.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Amen, I'd add more but it just bounces of the ignorant as they come up with more excuses for unacceptable behavior while intoxicated. When you're actively involved in the behavior your brain does a pretty darn good job of convincing you its okay.
                          Bingo

Comment

I have NEVER in my life ran from the cops. I have a friend who has numerous minors who has also NEVER ran from the cops. I have very few, if any friends who have ran from the cops (I really can't think of any off the top of my head). I have been out of college a little over one year. Do I know kids who have ran from the cops? Yes, I do. Would I say "every" kid runs from the cops........NO! To say so would be absolutely absurd. When someone comes on this board and says......"All kids run from the cops".......well, that removes every bit of credibility that person has/had (they may or may not of had any anyway).

It seems some posters must have something going with Reiff as they try to make excuses for Reiff's actions. Fact of the matter is his behavior was absolutely inexcusable, especially considering the shear number of U of Iowa football players that have gotten in trouble. Would it be out of line to strip his scholarship, heck no it wouldn't. If this happened at SDSU I would probably be demanding that they pull his scholarship. Kids need to learn there are consequences for their actions. Reiff had an opportunity given to very few individuals. He should be held to a higher standard.

Comment

Geez, this thread is pretty serious! As far as this Moderator is concerned, even though CathEmAll has called for the death of this thread, if people want to keep working the subject over, that's fine with me but...oh well, to be a little irreverent:

Some of us, in our youth, ran from cops...successfully, too. It took a combination of speed and stamina as well as intimate knowledge of the neighborhood alleys and backyards. During spring days we were called quartermilers. In the evenings, we were called wiseguys. Hey, how often does a quartermiler get to run at top speed and TURN RIGHT?

I recall one event when a couple of brothers (added later-- I meant that literally: they were siblings) were doing nothing wrong but decided to bolt when the cops were driving by. So, of course, the chase was on. The cops cornered the slower of the two and as they were hauling him into the car, he yelled "Don't give up, Donnie!" It was hilarious...like some kind of cheap movie. The cops figured out the guys did nothing wrong, chewed out the one they had in their back seat (Watertown's a small town, they knew all the kids) and told him to go straight home. Twenty years later, those guys still tell that story and it still gets a laugh.

How about a big GO JACKS!
                              Last edited by JackJD; 07-25-2008, 07:39 AM.

Comment

GO JACKS!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X