Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Becky Hammon Playing for Russia??

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
    Its the Olympics, which means I do not care. Why? The little tidbit in the story that she will be paid approximately four times what the USA players get paid for their participation. The Olympics long ago lost the status of amateur athletes competing for their country.

And really, do you think in 10 years, or whatever time frame Stu talked about, anyone is going to remember anything that happened in the women's bb of the Olympics?

Quick - name the biggest name left of the men's Olympic team from 2000? Yeah, who she played for is going to burned into the memory of no one.

The problem is that the Olympics have lost the interest of so many people. Growing up, I remember everyone, adults and kids, talking about the Olympics. Then television decided that it would get the "casual fan" by featuring the athlete's life story instead of the competition. Couple this with the scandals and the allowance, no the promotion of having professional athletes, and the Games primary draw was gone.

I wish I knew how they could get back the status they once had, but I have to be content with my ability to vent. Thanks SDSUFANS.com, I feel better already.
    1stRow may sum it up best. The Olympics are no longer about amateur athletics, team and in some cases individual sports are filled with pros and crossing borders doesn't seem to be a big deal any longer. The old days of the Olympics generating a sense of patriotism are long gone outside of a few minor sports that only generate interest every four years (gymnastics, ice skating, swimming, etc.). That is why I just don't see this as a big deal. Besides, I have a soft spot for Russia; my son was born there.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post

I also have heard more about Becky Hammon in the past 3 days than in the previous 15 years, considering she is one of the most successful female athletes at the high school, college, and pro level that South Dakota has ever produced. Now what she does is a big deal?

Yes, in the past 3 days, I found out that there was a Becky Hammon. So you are one up on me in knowing the existence of Becky Hammon. Prior to three days ago, I had never heard of her and I thank those for mentioning bio details in this thread. She has had an outstanding career.

I believe I was living elsewhere when she played for Rapid City Stevens and went on to Colorado State.

I happened to listen to Craig and Bob yesterday and Bob who replaced Mike knows Becky personally defended her at length. Bob who apparently is Rapid City connected even wrote a ed piece that is posted on their website.

Being part of the Olympics is a big deal and it should never include a loyality oath and since Becky is living some of the time in Russia playing professional basketball and qualifies, then she should go for it.

Comment

Terry V. wrote the feature on front page of Argus:

Good job Terry. It gives Becky's side of her choice.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...NTPAGECAROUSEL

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
          In a nutshell, I could give a crap where she plays. Can't remember a thing about the last olympics, so why would I care now?
          I think that pretty much sums up my feelings as well.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

At least I know that Becky Hammons exists. I have never followed the WNBA until Megan Vogel got her run, let alone know that a South Dakota person had a playing career of 8 years. What impressed me about the story Terry V wrote was that Becky did not have much chance of advancing her career beyone Rapid Stevens, but with determination and hard work she made it to CSU and the WNBA. That to me is impressive.

As far as the politics of her choice, I too do not have a problem. The world is changing faster than we realize and for that reason the Olympics have a purpose more so than ever before, but I most like will watch very little of it. Do I remember last one or the past ones, no, except for the Winter one in Lillihammer where Norway did real well in terms of medals.

Comment

I guess what everyone is saying to athletes like Becky is if the United States doesn't even allow you a tryout than just give up your Olympic Dreams. How fair is that?

If another country values you as an athlete more than the United States (who won't so much as allow you a legitimate tryout) than I say go for it. I believe the Olympics is truly about the experience and every athlete should have an opportunity to pursue and achieve that experience.

Besides, the U.S. Women's Olympic Basketball Team is nothing short of thugs on the court. Finally a team (Russians) gives the U.S. some competition and Leslie and Tarassi start throwing elbows and literally hurting the Russian players. But, this isn't new for those players they have a rep as cheap players. The Russian players literally had to retaliate just to survive. Shame on you U.S. team members, and this is coming from an avid Women's Basketball fan.

Maybe Becky wasn't all that far off in playing for the Russians.

Comment

Here are my two cents on the whole ordeal...

I don't see why people are so upset about it. Becky lives in Russia for half the year, plays over there for half the year, makes way more money than she would over here considering that the WNBA max, which she is at, is far less than the NBA minimum. She was shafted by the US women's basketball team so she went and played for a country that wanted her. I don't want to hear the B.S. about her being unpatriotic or how she doesn't get it, the Olympics are a joke now a days, athletes from one country but plays professionally in another can play for the second country or their great great great great great grandma on his mother's mother's mother's side was that nationality so they are given the chance to play for them. It's a joke. The big question, would there be such an uproar if she wasn't playing for Russia? Probably not. Did this escalate because of the Russians invading Georgia? Probably.

This is such a backwards country. We are completely fine if someone from another country plays for the U.S. as long as they help us win, but if someone was shafted, which she was, she 2nd in MVP voting behind an Aussie for Christ's sake, and tried to pursue her Olympic dream with a country that she has dual residency and plays there for half the year, there is a huge uproar. Politics play a huge part in the selection of the athletes on this team, heck they played a part in who was invited to the tryout, and I am sick of it. They want the people who will bring in the most money for the team, not the best players.

Comment

Yep, I always thought the Olympics is where you left the nationalism, politics, wars, etc. behind and it was about the competition. Guess that all changed in 1972.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Look at this photo, taken at an exhibition game between the U.S. and Russia prior to the start of the Olympics. That's Becky Hammon there, looking pretty emotional as the U.S. national anthem plays. As the blogger who originally pointed this out says, this is not a picture of an unpatriotic American. Note how her teammates are completely disinterested (after all, it's not their national anthem.)

The look on Becky Hammon's face here tells me she loves America and is only playing for Russia so she can experience the competition at the Olympics, just as she has repeatedly said.

Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I certainly do not question Becky patrotism, but with the escalation of events between Russia and Georgia, and USA still pretty much on the sideline, I would be concerned about my safety in living in Russia. It is hard to tell how these events over there will play out. I can say though, that I am happy Becky got to experience the Olympics as a member of the Russian team. I wish her the best and hope she is safe in Russia. I know I sound very political but I sense the rust is being scrapped off the iron curtain that is soon to back in its place. It may be a good time to head home for Rapid City. Surely there is a job of some kind waiting for Becky.

Comment

The Olympics are a joke for the most part. It was much more interesting watching them play as amateurs then go on to pro carreers. The Chinese break the rules with fake birth certificates and their athletes taken as children from their parents and put into schools (factories) if they show an ability in a sport to train for games. When they win and get to old poof their gone into oblivion for the next kid from the factory, I mean school. If they don't win then poof they are diving for rocks or with rocks to the bottom of the Yangtze River.
                        Weren't professional athletes added because we got tired of losing to the Russians in hockey and basketball?

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                          This is such a backwards country. We are completely fine if someone from another country plays for the U.S. as long as they help us win, but if someone was shafted, which she was, she 2nd in MVP voting behind an Aussie for Christ's sake, and tried to pursue her Olympic dream with a country that she has dual residency and plays there for half the year, there is a huge uproar. Politics play a huge part in the selection of the athletes on this team, heck they played a part in who was invited to the tryout, and I am sick of it. They want the people who will bring in the most money for the team, not the best players.
                          Well said, mango. Jim Lefebvre managed China's baseball team, yet nobody questioned his patriotism. And how many of our US athletes/teams were coached by natives of other countries? That didn't keep us from cheering for them.

When I was growing up in the Cold War era, the Olympics were the world vs. the Soviet "professionals". And I think that's why so many people -- myself included -- were so conflicted over Becky playing for Russia. Its always great to see a South Dakotan compete on the international stage, you just expect them to be wearing Team USA's uniform.

I've followed Becky's career since college, and IMHO, she should have been on the original list of invitees to try out for our Olympic team. She wasn't, and she chose to follow her Olympic dream by playing for another country -- within today's Olympic rules. After reading her explanation in a number of columns and stories, I can't say I blame her for what she did and I respect her for what still had to be a difficult decision.

Congratulations, Becky, on winning the bronze medal!
                          "You trusted us"

Comment

The individual carrying our flag in the closing ceremonies has competed in 3 Olympiads, and each time was under the flag of a different country.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

You have to wonder if USA Basketball doesn't have a little egg on its face... here is a woman who finished as the team leader in scoring and also was in the top-5 for three pointer percentage and her own home country wouldn't even give her an initial shot?

The coach that called her a traitor is a moron.
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Last week Jay Mariotti in the Chicago Sun-Times ripped into her pretty good too. I have no time for Mariotti so I didn't bother posting the article.

Comment

Working...
                                X