Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gun's May Be Allowed on Campus

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    There is IMHO fairly strong counterargument to be made that a contributing factor to the extent of the Virginia Tech massacre was the existence of a gun ban on campus.

I do not think it's quite the black-and-white issue that it appears at first glance--heck, my first response is "well yeah, don't allow them on campus." But that kind of thinking results in situations where a bad guy with a gun can attack with impunity a disarmed community, until law enforcement figures out that there's a problem and dispatches their resources to respond. Lots of people can get hurt in the interim.

There is probably a middle ground between "ban all guns" and "let 'em all in" that is the optimal policy--having gun owners demonstrate responsibility via attendance in safety courses, etc, etc. Unfortunately, the positions on the extremes are the ones that are easily taken, and reluctantly abandoned.

I personally think that an armed and educated populace is a prerequisite for a free, liberal society. The hard part is defining "some level."
    Good post and I agree. It just feels wierd thinking that they may allow them on campus.

Comment

Working...
    X