Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Watertown's Boy's B-Ball Team Loses 5 Players

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    The parents are all supporting the rule and none complained. They're pretty upset with their kids.
    Sounds like Watertown has some good old fashion parents, who are proud when its proper to be proud, and embarrassed when they should be embarrassed. The incident will be news for a while and drop off the screen. Hopefully the younger students will learn from this but I doubt it.

I am surprise to learn that each school board has been allowed to adopt a policy, which seems to invite variablity in enforcement. I am curious as to why the SDHSAA as an organization has not adopted a uniform policy which all schools would adhere to and instead has left up to each school board district. That seems to be a mistake, but maybe not.

I only mentioned parents in my prior post as in Columbus, Nebraska where I once lived and reminded me a great deal of Watertown had the same problem with the Girls BB players, a busted party and subsequent suspensions just before the state tournament. Some parents were looking for an exception and the whole affair was news longer than it should have.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
      Actually Joe, I would not understand if they had a fit about the punishment. As JD said, the rule has been in place for more than 10 years. I live in Yankton and even I know the one and done rule that Watertown has. Part of maturing is taking responsiblity for your actions. The parents and kids both knew what the rules were. If the parents are upset with anyone at this point, it better be their sons.
      Why? with school sports its the schools rules its not like a union or an actual contract you don't get to change a few things or ask for this or that you either play by these rules or you don't play at all...... Don't you think its unfair that the kids at this school have to sit out the rest of the year where if a kid from a different school was at the same party his punishment would be different? The argument is they signed the contract and my argument is if you want to play basketball all what that contract is is something to sign so you can play basketball...... I do have to say that I am shocked by the parents reaction and give them a lot of credit for not throwing a hissy fit.....

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        My opinion on Watertown's rule is that it is too harsh. Kicking a kid off for the remainder of a season for a first violation? I think we are the only school in the state...at least the only large school...that has such a policy. I have had that opinion since the rule was put in place.

Even though I think the rule is too harsh, now is not the time to change it. Since it was the rule in place, it has to be enforced and I think there is broad agreement on that point.

I hope that in about a year or two, we can have a discussion about modifying the rules. I think the rules should be consistent across the state, perhaps adopted by the High School Activities Association. To address the situation in which an activities participant transfers from one school to another to get around rules (many examples of that having happened over the past few years), new rules should provide that a rules violation will be treated the same at the transferee school just as though the transfer student violated the transferee school's rules.
        Brookings had the same rule when I was in high school ('79 to '83). I haven't a clue what the current rule is.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I did a little checking and am reminded that Watertown's rule goes back to at least to 1980 -- my younger brother had to sign the pledge and I now recall my mom explaining the facts of life and what would happen if he violated the rule.

Other schools have had the same rule but have revised the rules in recent years, softening the penalty for a first offense.

I graduated from WHS in 1972 and I do not recall what the rule was back then but I remember kids getting kicked off teams for drinking (sheesh, they even made us have real short hair back then!).

Well, it was the lead story on KELO TV again. Many people are very complimentary BUT is having such a harsh rule the right thing? It's a serious issue worthy of an honest debate about punishment, deterence and, above all, making sure young people are good citizens by the time they reach adulthood.

Comment

This is the way I look at it. YOUNG KIDS MAKE MISTAKES. I believe a punishment is warranted, but losing a whole year of eligibility is a little harsh in my opinion. I agree that if the student offends twice that a full year of eligibility be lost, but not on the first offense. That just seems too harsh. I realize young men and women need to realize there are consequences for their actions, but let's face it there are criminals in the community that do much worse than that and don't have that kind of punishment.

I guess I just believe that some people deserve second chances especially young adults.

Now onto whether the parents should "throw a fit".....absolutely not. They knew the rule before the season began and didn't fight it or try to get it changed so when a kid gets busted and rule is applied there is no way they should say a thing. A rule is a rule and if broken the punishment must be served.

I also believe that a unified rule by the SDHSAA is a good idea. It isn't really fair for a kid at one school to be punished differently than a kid at a another school for the same offense when it comes to athletics. All schools are members of the SDHSAA and should have the same rules. IMO.

Comment

This type of scenario happened in HS football in my hometown back in the early 90's. We had one heck of a squad that season. We were coached by Phil Barrios, who a lot of you may know because he then moved on to get his MS at SDSU and was an assistant coach for the Jacks for a few years (linebackers coach I believe). There was a house party after the 1st or 2nd game of the season, and the school had a one and done rule for that sort of thing. Basically all of the senior and junior upperclassmen were at the party, and they were kicked off the team for the rest of the season by Barrios. Can't blame him, it was the rule and he was following it. We ended up only winning a couple games that year. We went from potential state championship level to basically a JV team. A year or two after that incident the school board decided that was too strict for a first offense and changed the rule to a 2 week suspension for first offense (not sure what the second or third offense penalties are).

IMO, I think the playing field for these punishments should be leveled throughout the state. First offense, 2 week punishment. Second offense, done for season in that sport. Third offense, done for one calendar year for all sports.

On a side note, after the punishment was belted out at that time, I know for a fact that most football players in HS after that event quit drinking during the season to avoid suspension. It did serve as a big wake-up call to the players to take things seriously. But this no-partying attitude has occured after the one and done rule was dropped. So I think the 2 week rule can be an effective deterent for the first offense, at least it was at my HS.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                Why? with school sports its the schools rules its not like a union or an actual contract you don't get to change a few things or ask for this or that you either play by these rules or you don't play at all...... Don't you think its unfair that the kids at this school have to sit out the rest of the year where if a kid from a different school was at the same party his punishment would be different? The argument is they signed the contract and my argument is if you want to play basketball all what that contract is is something to sign so you can play basketball...... I do have to say that I am shocked by the parents reaction and give them a lot of credit for not throwing a hissy fit.....
                Joe, You're arguing and we agree. I'm not sure how I feel about the one and done policy but I do agree all SD schools should have the same rule when it comes to suspensions. If the parents are sticking with the administration on this, they are doing what they should. I will give them credit for their stance as there are many parents who would be looking for a loophole right now!

Comment

The idea of a state-wide policy has been discussed in the past, but the members of SDHSAA have never wanted to go down that road. I'm not sure how long it has been since it was last talked about, but local control has been an argument against.

While I don't know if a one & done policy makes sense, it was the rule. I do wish to commend the school, city and parents for how this has been handled.

I do like the concept of the Sioux Falls school district's policy, in that the punishment is set, but if you enroll and complete a drug/alcohol education program, a portion of the punishment is set aside.

As for the fairness of different policies at different schools, it is interesting to me that drugs are covered by state law, but alcohol and tobacco are left to the schools. Not sure why the legislature saw the need for the distinction, but alcohol is surely the bigger problem and they chose to leave that alone.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Doesn't South Dakota have a state wide rule for marijuana? I thought it was a 1 year suspension but was recently changed to give kids a chance at playing again if they completed a counseling program. Maybe that rule allows for the local level to stiffen up the policy if they see fit.
                    Last edited by Rabbitlivinginverm; 01-24-2008, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Wayne Carney was the AD and my basketball coach when I was in HS. His quotes in the Argus are very telling. Certain communities view things differently than others. Coaches, AD's, teachers, the school board, parents, the kids, etc... all have to be considered. I don't think we're ready for a statewide mandate on conduct outside of school functions as it pertains to extracurricular activities or otherwise.

Is there precedent for such a thing in other states?
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                        Doesn't South Dakota have a state wide rule for marijanana? I thought it was a 1 year suspension but was recently changed to give kids a chance at playing again if they completed a counseling program. Maybe that rule allows for the local level to stiffen up the policy if they see fit.
                        I believe that attempt failed as some legislators felt that it would be a bad precedent to be "softer" on drug use.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                          I believe that attempt failed as some legislators felt that it would be a bad precedent to be "softer" on drug use.
                          I dont get it, but neither do I get the logic of Cooper Garnos, a former bench warmer for USD and Coach Noel Martin, who proposed a bill that would make it mandatory that all seniors in high school apply for college whether they had intentions of attending or not. Cooper thought it would be a good idea to get everyone exposed the education opportunities. You do that by passing a law?

Its funny local control has been a poltical theme since day one of statehood. Old generations die off and the younger leaders pick up where they left off. If its about local control, then I think there is not much more to be said. Watertown has its policy, the admin and board acted accordingly and Coach Norberg has a bigger challange than he anticipated. Brian has always seem like a real gamer, so he will be okay too.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            The suspension is still 1 year but the place they softened it was if the student completes a drug program they can reduce the suspension to 60 days.

Comment

I wouldn't commend all the parents....there were two in bed in the house the party was at.
                              Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                              Muhammad Ali

Comment

Then as far as I'm concerned, they should be looking at a court date!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X