Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "Stu-pidest" Article

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Please don't drag me into your childish feud with Stu. I expressed my opinion, and I'm entitled to it (I also have some credentials and experience to back it up). You have expressed yours as well, and you're entitled to that.

But you're mocking me here, and I don't appreciate it. There's no reason to make disagreements on a discussion board personal, but that's what you always end up doing, Nidaros.
    Sorry, I did not think that you would take this so personal, but I am not mocking you or anyone including Stu. Since you have stated a number of times its Stu's job to stir things up, I thought some reverse behaviour would work, such as paying Stu a complient that indeed he is a good journalist even if he does not like SDSU.

BTW credentials are like union cards, they open doors to job opportunities and not much else. There were rooms of credentialed people who worked for Enron before the bottom fell out. Some of these credentialed people are now rightfully in prision. Credentials to not give you more character nor do they allow you to look down on others. Now that's my opinion.

Happy New Year.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 01-01-2008, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Sorry, I did not think that you would take this so personal, but I am not mocking you or anyone including Stu. Since you have stated a number of times its Stu's job to stir things up, I thought some reverse behaviour would work, such as paying Stu a complient that indeed he is a good journalist even if he does not like SDSU.

BTW credentials are like union cards, they open doors to job opportunities and not much else. There were rooms of credentialed people who worked for Enron before the bottom fell out. Some of these credentialed people are now rightfully in prision. Credentials to not give you more character nor do they allow you to look down on others. Now that's my opinion.

Happy New Year.
      Happy New Year to you, too.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post

He's got us losing to Northern Iowa!! I don't find that funny at all.
        Funny, no. Derisive, I think so. Satire, for sure. I think Stu is at his best when he writes in this style. Let TV and Mick handle the "beat" while Stu plays the jester.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

There seems to be something in Sioux Falls media that you would not find in the Fargo media. High school football seems to be king in SF because SDSU and USD are not in Sioux Falls. NDSU is or was never upstaged by Shanley even in their glory days of Coach Sid Cichy. Fargo North and South athletics are kind of ho hum in the Fargo Forum especially when the Bison are on a roll, you name the sport.

Though Roosvelt has a great program in all sports due to open enrollment, I don't think they should upstage SDSU athletics. Notice in Stu satire, the hero in the predicted upset by UNI win is a former Roosvelt player. Hmm stirring the pot I suppose, it does not get my goat at all.

Comment

Josh Mahoney is the player Stu "quotes" in his article. Mahoney played at O'Gorman, and picked up a fumble for a game winning touchdown against Roosevelt a few years back. That provides the irony.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
              Josh Mahoney is the player Stu "quotes" in his article. Mahoney played at O'Gorman, and picked up a fumble for a game winning touchdown against Roosevelt a few years back. That provides the irony.
              Thanks, I dont follow High School football especially SF football. I guess I miss some things such as who is Mahoney. Oh well, I would rather follow the Jacks.

Comment

This thread finally made me curious enough to read the Stu Whitney column under discussion. We're talking about an opinion piece, one intended to provide a little humor. The column does not pretend to be a news story.

There are many writers I refuse to read. After all, there's only so much time in the day.... so, I make choices like all of us do about what we're going to read. If I like a particular writer, I seek out his columns. If I dislike a particular writer, I may still read their columns if I think I gain some value from the writer's work. That value can include knowledge and entertainment.

As a rule, I do not read the Argus. Exceptions to my personal rule: SDSU articles to which I am alerted largely through this message board; and often I try to find Dave Kranz's column.

I'll accept JimmyJack's assessment that Whitney is, personally, a good guy. It's been stated several times on this message board that Whitney and other writers try to provoke a reaction from readers. I have no problem with that concept -- I always have the option to not be provoked. However, on the concept of writing to provoke a reaction, I think that is legitimate if the writer in good faith is attempting to accomplish something worthwhile (which can include something as simple as provoking a laugh which I think Whitney was attempting with his column). There is value in a columnist causing readers to think seriously about an opposing view, or to learn another side to an issue which was not well known.

I have a problem with some writers just being a jerk and I view some columns as needless needling without any redeeming value (as a reader, I get to define what is needless needling and my decisions are beyond the control of the writer even though they may have an adverse consequence for the writer: i.e. I will not see the ads of the paper's advertisers). I haven't read anything written by the Argus Leader's Editor, Mr. Beck, for a long time because I thought he was often a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. I think Minneapolis Star-Tribune sports columnist Pat Reusse is often a jerk but I will usually read his column because on occasion I learn something from him or I see a point of view I had not considered.

The problem I have with a column like the Whitney one under discussion, is it seems juvenile and far beneath what I would expect from a daily newspaper. The subject matter and writing style is similar to a high school newspaper. [Unfortunately, it reminds me of similarly-bad columns I wrote during my summer journalism internship in between my junior and senior years at SDSU -- and I have a scrapbook of articles and columns from that summer to remind me that I have produced some really bad stuff.]

I'm tempted to purchase another copy of Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style", mark a few pages with Post-It Notes and send it to Mr. Whitney. [I confess to having sent a copy of the little book, with pages marked, to other writers...made one young lady cry once and I had to apologize!)

Don't let Mr. Whitney rent space in your head.

Go Jackrabbits!
                Last edited by JackJD; 01-02-2008, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Don't let Mr. Whitney rent space in your head.

Go Jackrabbits!
                  That's been my argument many times on this board. His job is to stir the pot, and he's good at it. If you're sensitized to obsess about what he says, Stu wins.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Jimmyjack:

I agree wholeheartly and no doubt much different person than what comes through sometimes in his column. A new years resultion is: Do not let Stu Whitney rent space in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      I confess to having sent a copy of the little book, with pages marked, to other writers...made one young lady cry once and I had to apologize!
                      You, Sir, are a Curmudgeon.

Well done!
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        You, Sir, are a Curmudgeon.
                        Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X