X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brookings vs Watertown

Which town is better and why?

GO!

Interesting question considering the special election Brookings is having now.

Brookings in a landslide for me (due to SDSU sports, Cubby's, Jackrabbit Central/bookstore, and general community "climate") but I'll admit that it's been disappointing for this repeat Brookings resident to read that some local policymakers feel an Aldi will stem sales tax loss when it seems more likely that a Target (which Watertown has and Brookings lacks) could address both purported lack of grocer competition and retail competition for stores like Walmart.

Comment

Watertown has an Aldi too.

Surprising how difficult Brookings makes it to develop. They should have let Clark Drew buy the land when they offered a few years back.

Comment

Being from the Watertown area I would say Brookings is better. Much nicer city, but a lot of that stems from SDSU. Watertown has LATC but they are no where big enough to make a big difference. Plus Brookings bars absolutely blow Watertown’s out of the water.

Watertown also has a lot of sketchy people and areas, not as bad as Huron or Aberdeen, but definitely not as nice as Brookings. Watertown high school is also a mess. Both athletically and just in general.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
          Watertown has an Aldi too.

Surprising how difficult Brookings makes it to develop. They should have let Clark Drew buy the land when they offered a few years back.
          Yes, I realize Watertown and Marshall have Aldis. I don't have anything against the store; I merely question the veracity of an argument rooted in the belief that the absence of one is a primary contributor to sales tax revenue loss here. I think Walmart is what could use some competition.

I'm also not necessarily ready to criticize their development methods. I'm amazed by how much the south side of town has grown.

Comment

Working...
          X