USD- Sioux Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD- Sioux Falls

Anyone have any thoughts on the news and action with the old Sioux Falls community college which has been renamed USD- Sioux Falls and is looking to become a larger presence with complete USD control? From an SDSU perspective is makes me worry because we talk all the time about how important it is to “win” Sioux Falls. But time and time again the community college site has been a huge failure and turning it around would be quite the surprise.

They probably want to move all their medical services there. I wouldnt be surprised if SDSU would want to make its only SF campus for how many students use SF for interships etc. Probably just another USD power grab.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      They probably want to move all their medical services there. I wouldnt be surprised if SDSU would want to make its only SF campus for how many students use SF for interships etc. Probably just another USD power grab.
      They're reportedly moving Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia, MPH & MSW programs, Center for Prevention of Child Maltreatment, Center for Rural Health Improvement, nursing courses, and clinical skills lab there.

Could be as much a means to stabilize the Discovery District as it is a power grab.

Comment

Honestly I’m not too concerned about it. As previously stated, I think they are moving some niche programs there, and those aren’t programs that are likely going to have students studying on location for a full 4 years. No kids are going to chose to go to USD in Verm because of their SF campus, and no kids are going to be going to USD just to attend a branch location in SF for some very specific programs. This seems like something intended to serve the existing population more than anything else. I also feel like it will be a huge failure, just like everything else that the University Center/Community College has been.

With that being said, there is a definite battle for Sioux Falls going on right now, and we need to win it. Between the attempt at moving the law school a few years back, the discovery center, etc. the Yotes are making a hard push to carve out the SF metro. Both universities know that Sioux Falls has a bright future and massive growth ahead of it and enrollment is going to be tied to how well each can perform in SF. Getting kids to come to Brookings is tough. Getting them to Verm is even harder and I think USD is a actively trying to expand some programs to become more rooted in SF.

Comment

You have to take your hot dog stand to the people. You can't expect them to come to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
            You have to take your hot dog stand to the people. You can't expect them to come to you.
            Spoken like a self-employed USD grad.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

Spoken like a self-employed USD grad.
              Your 50% correct but I think there is a reason they don't hold the MN state fair in Ortonville.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post

Your 50% correct but I think there is a reason they don't hold the MN state fair in Ortonville.
                HAHA your point is very accurate justwin))!!! but on the other hand WE DO hold the SD State fair in huron))) that might not help your point)))

just being a smart ass i do understand what you are saying

and i am sure it is likely many more kids than not prefer to go to school in a bigger place. ( that is sad to me but that does not mean it isnt true ) but there really are kids who are happy to go to a smaller town. even for instance the Carillo sisters have often been quoted as saying they like the small town atmosphere and feel it is beneficial to them

so there are maybe more who want a bigger place, but there are still PLENTY who are looking for places like brookings and sdsu

Comment

I see it as a minor issue regarding SDSU or USD fan support in SF. Depending upon where you work in SF, and your specific job, you might see mostly SDSU grads or mostly USD grads. Observation is the numbers of each are similar. More telling might be the number of fans that drive north and south from SF to attend sporting events.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                    I see it as a minor issue regarding SDSU or USD fan support in SF. Depending upon where you work in SF, and your specific job, you might see mostly SDSU grads or mostly USD grads. Observation is the numbers of each are similar. More telling might be the number of fans that drive north and south from SF to attend sporting events.
                    I see a sizable number of Jacks fans when I head to games in Brookings from Sioux Falls. It will be interesting to see how gas prices impact the number of commuters (assuming petrol prices remain elevated). Depending on one's vehicle, the cost of fuel essentially represents a pair to a handful of extra tickets they'd be paying for.

As tepid as my support for alcohol sales is, I'd hope Athletics considers travel cost an intervening variable when assessing whether adding booze sales this year appreciably increases ticket sales.

Comment

USD is trying, once again, to build its presence in Sioux Falls at the cost of diminishing its campus and programs in Vermillion. It's kind of a weird, self-destructive strategy. The "community college" facility has been a white elephant for years and that's not likely to change. If the USD branch closed next week and converted to a business use, hardly anyone would notice.
                      Last edited by Jacked_Up; 01-28-2023, 09:11 PM.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        USD is trying, once again, to build its presence in Sioux Falls at the cost of diminishing its campus and programs in Vermillion. It's kind of weird, self-destructive strategy. The "community college" facility has been a white elephant for years and that's not likely to change. If the USD branch closed next week and converted to a business use, hardly anyone would notice.
                        I suspect Legislature would shift DSU to Sioux Falls and close Madison campus to prop up USD

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          USD is trying, once again, to build its presence in Sioux Falls at the cost of diminishing its campus and programs in Vermillion. It's kind of weird, self-destructive strategy. The "community college" facility has been a white elephant for years and that's not likely to change. If the USD branch closed next week and converted to a business use, hardly anyone would notice.
                          Is there news I missed?

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

Is there news I missed?
                            Last year, the Community College of Sioux Falls, which has had about 10 lives, transferred to USD's control, and USD started moving science programs there. More recently, USD has been promoting the site as its Sioux Falls branch. ... No word yet on when they might build a dorm and try to relocate their football team. Look for old jokes about Sioux Falls State to resurface.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                            X