Mel Antonen, dead at 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Antonen, dead at 64

Mel Antonen, former USA Today's Major League Baseball reporter and columnist, died Saturday (1/30/21) from a rare acute auto-immune disease and complications frrom COVID-19. Mel grew up in Lake Norden and was an Augustana grad (1978 I believe) . Good story by his friend, Chuck Raasch (a member of this board, and an SDSU journalism grad from Castlewood). Link:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...5k?li=BB15ms5q

Mel was a big deal in sports journalism.

I've never met Mel, but the story about his baseball roots is pretty cool. SD has a very unique thing with amateur baseball and it's popularity especially in the small towns is really cool. I played baseball in Bryant back when I was in college and there were several years we would play Lake Norden in the 4th of July game. That game was a big deal for that small town. There were several hundred people there to watch the game and the fireworks that followed. From the stories I hear, years ago it didn't take fireworks to make the town show up to a game. I can see how that would foster a love of baseball in Mel.

JackJD, I imagine Chuck is related to Paul? Paul played for Lake Norden for years.

Comment

Another excellent tribute.

Mel Antonen, who spent decades covering baseball for USA Today and for MASN and SiriusXM radio, died Saturday.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        I've never met Mel, but the story about his baseball roots is pretty cool. SD has a very unique thing with amateur baseball and it's popularity especially in the small towns is really cool. I played baseball in Bryant back when I was in college and there were several years we would play Lake Norden in the 4th of July game. That game was a big deal for that small town. There were several hundred people there to watch the game and the fireworks that followed. From the stories I hear, years ago it didn't take fireworks to make the town show up to a game. I can see how that would foster a love of baseball in Mel.

JackJD, I imagine Chuck is related to Paul? Paul played for Lake Norden for years.
        Chuck's got a lot of relatives in Hamlin County...pretty safe bet he's closely related to anyone with Raasch as a last name.

Comment

Working...
        X