Brookings High School Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brookings High School Football

BHS is having a unbelievable year and is undefeated. Before anyone says they haven’t played any one yet, they beat Pierre, Mitchell and now Yankton 41-0. One of players is a an option tailback name Buri who transferred in from Stewartville, Minnesota. I recall one of the 1963 basketball guys who off the bench and gave quality minutes, was Jerry Buri from the small town of Hazel. I don’t know if the running back is a descendant of Jerry but could be. Brookings doesn’t play Watertown since they opted play 11AAA. The Bobcats looked like world beaters against a good Yankton team. Very good on defense and had several pass interceptions and Yankton had a long night. No doubt Coach Stig was watching from his office. We will see how many recruits from Brookings show up on the roster. For the first time in decades, the recruits are there.

I'm old enough to remember Jerry Buri.

I know this has been stated before but WTF is a state the size of South Dakota doing with that many size classifications? Oh yeah, it's the 21st century and everyone's a winner.

Comment

Football committee is meeting on Friday to come up with a plan to reduce to 5 or 6 classes

Listening to their meeting. WoW. Pity party.
      Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 10-30-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
        I'm old enough to remember Jerry Buri.

I know this has been stated before but WTF is a state the size of South Dakota doing with that many size classifications? Oh yeah, it's the 21st century and everyone's a winner.
        I done some googling and it does not appear Josh Buri and Jerry Buri are related. The ace from the bench of 1963 has lived most of his life in Texas near Houston and if they are related it is a distance relationship, Josh is a dairy farm boy and I suspect he has an eye on a Dairy Science major at SDSU. All of a sudden they announce no football in Minnesota and Josh transfer to Brookings High. He brought with a very good lineman who is also making a difference. Name i don't recall. I do recall Jerry Buri was recently add to the high school basketball hall of fame .for his scoring record of nearly 2000 points for the Hazel Mustangs of Hamlin County. No doubt Jim Marking was well aware of Jerry Buri and that is why he ended up a Jackrabbit. I don't think Hazel was even close to winning a district or regional tournament. They talk about basketball being a team sport and if Jerry had had some help in tiny Hazel high, he might have experienced a stated championship.

Getting back to Josh Buri, he did make a Junior Day visit to NDSU. Illinois State and USD are very interested in recruiting him although no offers so far.

Finally, there are too many classes,and hopefully they will find a a way to work this out., .

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

I done some googling and it does not appear Josh Buri and Jerry Buri are related. The ace from the bench of 1963 has lived most of his life in Texas near Houston and if they are related it is a distance relationship, Josh is a dairy farm boy and I suspect he has an eye on a Dairy Science major at SDSU. All of a sudden they announce no football in Minnesota and Josh transfer to Brookings High. He brought with a very good lineman who is also making a difference. Name i don't recall. I do recall Jerry Buri was recently add to the high school basketball hall of fame .for his scoring record of nearly 2000 points for the Hazel Mustangs of Hamlin County. No doubt Jim Marking was well aware of Jerry Buri and that is why he ended up a Jackrabbit. I don't think Hazel was even close to winning a district or regional tournament. They talk about basketball being a team sport and if Jerry had had some help in tiny Hazel high, he might have experienced a stated championship.

Getting back to Josh Buri, he did make a Junior Day visit to NDSU. Illinois State and USD are very interested in recruiting him although no offers so far.

Finally, there are too many classes,and hopefully they will find a a way to work this out., .
          Josh Buri just received a PWO from SDSU a few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Josh Buri just received a PWO from SDSU a few days ago.
            That's good news. He will quickly earn scholarship money. I never seen Brooking High run option plays but they do with Buri.

Comment

Football committee is meeting on Friday to come up with a plan to reduce to 5 or 6 classes

Listening to their meeting. WoW. Pity party.
              They strongly considered moving to 5 classes the past off-season then for some reason they tabled it. I'm guessing they blamed Covid for no relatable reason and just continued to kick the can down the road. 7 classes in HS FB in SD is an absolute embarrassment for our state and we are the laughing stock of the entire nation when it comes to this topic. Something needs to be done and it better be something along the lines of 5 classes or fewer. I personally think two 11-man and two 9-man classes would be more than adequate as here is the current # of schools in each class:

11AAA: 10 (8 make playoffs)
              11AA: 8 (all teams make playoffs)
              11A: 14 (8 make playoffs)
              11B: 24 (16 make playoffs)
              9AA: 21 (16 make playoffs)
              9A: 23 (16 make playoffs)
              9B: 23 (16 make playoffs)

I'm not even going to get into the # of lopsided games there are in the first round of the playoffs - that in and of itself is a complete joke.

If you have two classes of each 11 and 9 man, schools will figure it out and the ebbs and flows of towns being competitive needs to be more of a priority. You can't adjust every 5 years or so because one or two programs are dominating. When the 4th SF public school opens in 2021 (Jefferson HS), that will also help balance the power in the SF area. That was the big complaint when they added 11AAA because the "Sioux Falls schools are too good". Well, look how things have responded - they aren't so dominant any more are they?

Please change NOW!

Comment

Here is the proposal on the table right now. Six classes (3, 11man; 3, 9man). Sub-committee agreed 9man didn’t need to be changed.
                https://twitter.com/brian_haenchen/s...257145857?s=21

Comment

Here is the proposal on the table right now. Six classes (3, 11man; 3, 9man). Sub-committee agreed 9man didn’t need to be changed.
                  https://twitter.com/brian_haenchen/s...257145857?s=21
                  Well, the sub-committee voted today on the 1st reading to keep it at 7 classes (passed 7-1). Aberdeen Central and Watertown drop down to AA, while Tea Area moves up to AA. Sisseton and Chamberlain move up to 11A, while Pine Ridge and Todd County (both 11A) will be joining the All Nations conference. And that's it.

If this is ultimately how the classifications will look it's really disappointing, IMO. Essentially this proposal just caters to Aberdeen Central and Watertown, allowing them to avoid playing the Sioux Falls schools.

https://twitter.com/Brian_Haenchen/s...175360/photo/1

Comment

Clarification, the individuals that voted today was the SDHSAA Board of Directors and not the sub-committee. The board of directors pretty much tossed the sub-committee’s proposal. Only one individual is on both of those groups.

Comment

To bring this back to topic, Brookings plays Huron tonight in Dana J Dykhouse Stadium for a chance to play for the state championship. On the other side of the bracket is Yankton and Pierre TF Riggs. They honestly have a great chance at winning state this year! Will be cheering for someone to bring a championship to our stadium.
                      Rollin' in my 5.0
                      With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                      Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Brookings beat Huron 45-6 and is heading to the state championship! They will be playing Pierre TF Riggs who beat Yankton 21-12.
                        Rollin' in my 5.0

Comment

Thanks for the update

Comment

The win streak at Brookings High ended tonight. Pierre won a fourth 11AA championship 38 to 6 over Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              The win streak at Brookings High ended tonight. Pierre won a fourth 11AA championship 38 to 6 over Brookings.
                              What a painful game to watch
                              Rollin' in my 5.0

Comment

Working...
                              X