Mayor of Brookings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mayor of Brookings

I just heard that the econo foods building might end up being a movie theater. Anyone else hear anything like that?

Also, a disc golf course is nice for about 4-5 months a year and the new pool is built largely for the under 10 crowd.

I would guess 20 years ago Brookings had a miniture golf course across the street from Pioneer Park on Sixth Street (also where the old Dairy Queen was located) it didn't last.
    Not that I have a lot of memories from my undergrad days but I certainly don't ever remember any mini golf course in Brookings during my time in school (late 80's).

All I know is that an 18 and over dance club failed miserably before and would again.
    The club 514 was quite a hotspot back in the day (at the site of the powershop now) and was an 18 and over dance club. It was the place to go for my last year of school. I don't know what happened after that.

Comment

D-town is right.  It was the early '80s I took a "date" there once when I was in high school (Freshmen, maybe Sophomore year).  It was between the old Taco John's (a little hut) and the old Dairy Queen in what had been the Tribble Motors lot.

Go State!  

Comment

Its been years since I've heard about Club 514.  The last memory I have is being locked in the bar during the Riot of 1990. I've been locked out of bars before but that was the only time I've ever been locked in one. ;D ;D

Comment

[There will be a disc golf course built on campus this summer.  The SAs gave money to the Landscape Architecture club to complete this.  One of my friends is in the Landscape Club and he said it will be built between the intramural fields and the arboretum at McCory Gardens.  It will only be a nine hole, par 3 course, but as a disc golf player living in Brookings I am really excited to finally have a course in town.  I have also heard that Brookings Park and Rec is looking at putting a course in Larson Park or at the new park that will be created by the Southbrook Softball complex.

I have also heard that McDonalds is going to rebuild at their current location.  They own the lot behind them, so they were going to expand into that as well.  Plans could have changed though with Cafe Ruby closing down.[/quote]

The only thing that stinks about a frizbee golf course on campus is it will be a dry course.  It sure is fun to play with a frisbee in one hand and a beer in the other.   

I talked to the Park and Rec recently and they seemed to have no plans in adding a frizbee golf course in town.

We...ARE...STATE!
          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

tis a rainy day in the city of brookings, construction on 6th street is going good and the lowes site is getting prepared. tis a good day to be alive.

Comment

A frizbee golf course cant be that much to build, Larson park would be a great locale.

Comment

I must be missing out, I never knew there was such a demand for frisbee golf.

Comment

There was, and maybe still is, a frisbee golf course in Sexauer Park.

Comment

When was this? I do not believe there is still a course at Sexauer, infact I'm almost positive. Me and my friends always have to drive out to Oakwood to play disc golf now, so I can not wait for a course to be built on campus. If you have never played you might want to try it out. It is an inexpensive sport as you only need one disc (a driver) and there are no green fees to pay. I personally like it more than "normal" golf. The course on campus should be completed by football season if anyone is looking for something to do while in town for a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger13
                      When was this?  I do not believe there is still a course at Sexauer, infact I'm almost positive.  Me and my friends always have to drive out to Oakwood to play disc golf now, so I can not wait for a course to be built on campus.  If you have never played you might want to try it out.  It is an inexpensive sport as you only need one disc (a driver) and there are no green fees to pay.  I personally like it more than "normal" golf.  The course on campus should be completed by football season if anyone is looking for something to do while in town for a game.
                      In the '80s.

Comment

For right now, Daktronics will be using part of the old Econofoods building for storage.  We are almost ready to move into our new building in the next month and it sounds like we will be building soon next to our SportsLink building.  As with the idea that the building could turn into a movie theater, I do know the current movie theater is looking at adding 2 more theaters to their current 5. Don't know if it will be where they are currently or in the Econofoods building in the future.

There was an article in the Collegian this past week about McDonalds building a new store in the current location.  Sounds like the owner is having issues with the city on the side entrances.  The city wants them removed.  Sounds like if they do build a new store in the current location, they want it done within a month.  Pretty quick turnaround.  I don't see them moving to the Cafe Ruby's building because Bozied has his tow trucks and car repair there.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                        X