Parents not happy about playing time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parents not happy about playing time

Haldersham, not once have you spelled Deubrook right. I will always agree that character counts. Hofer is a great role model, but he was hired to coach basketball and character is only a portion of the job. He can stay in the classroom and be a role model there and he would be a great one at that. But we all want someone who can coach and teach the kids to reach further and not settle for average! Don't you think that would carry over to the classroom as well? Then you have average basketball players, average students, and eventually average workers....If i'm hiring employees I'm not looking for average employees! 12 kids headed nowhere.

I think that if Hofer was as good as he thinks and as good as all of you who have probably never watched a Deubrook game think then he would have left 5 years ago when this all started and went to another school, he would have been successful and said "TOLD YA SO" to all of us....but he hasn't left cause he knows there isn't another coaching job out there for him.

Comment

i havent changed my opinion on it either rabbitcoach. i didnt know a coaches boss, were the parents. the parents need to keep their nose out of it, unless they want to sit on the bench and do the coaching. and im sure youll say, they could do better.

Comment

As far as the whole school board thing, they've had one guy there for 20 years and the others for about 10...their afraid of making a change. They ALL agree to not re-sign him and then all of a sudden they pull the small town crap! "Oh we don't want to look like the bad guys" so they go against what they feel is right and hire him back! And guess who made the move for that??? Yep, the guy thats been there 20 years which if you do the math he was the only member who was a part of hiring him. Hes worried about how that makes him look, its the ol' "ITS YOUR HIRE"! And then like all small towns the rest follow suit cause they don't want to put their butt on the line!

Comment

theres one parent who could do better but he doesn't have kids in high school...and i'm not asking you to change your opinion. And mitchell, here's a question for you...if you work somewhere, whos your boss?

Is it the guy that pays you? Thats right it is! So since the parents live in the school district and pay taxes which funds all the programs, wouldnt the person that FUNDS (or to help you out...PAYS) his salary be the parents? I think you need to re-think your last comment!

Comment

i did and it hasnt changed. so youre saying the parents can interfere at any school with what the coach is doing. they are the boss, so they can tell him, how to coach, who to play. parents have no business getting their nose in coaching unless the coach is being mentally or physical abusive to the players. is that happening? it seems to me its all about wins and losses here. you must be either sportsfan1 or mallard on sdsportstalk.com because those two and you are the only ones against coach hofer.

Comment

I feel like i'm in EDU 101....in your scenario, who is able to step in and tell the coach how to coach???
              Exactly, nobody is. Don't try to tell me the school board because they don't have that right either. The right they have is to hire and fire BASED on coaching practices. They can't jump in and tell the coach to play man defense over zone can they???? No but they have the right to fire him if they don't see the job meeting standards set forth by the district. The parents, don't always, but should have the right (via the school board) to voice any concerns they have regarding the coach. Because they do fund the dist. (through taxes) it is the school boards position to weigh those concerns brought to them. In this case, they did agree with the parents on the matter of "Coaching ability and potential"...then they all of a sudden change their minds??? I think you have to question the integrity of the school board at this moment. This is a big issue. And to make a decision on huge matter in favor of the parents and then turn around and reverse your decision and favor with the coach you have to ask yourself what they really feel? Is he or is he not doing his job? One day they didn't think so and the next they do??

Comment

im really not going to argue about it. i dont know the whole situation, only what ive been reading on this and other sports forums. but it seems the majority think he's a good coach and teacher and i guess that is enough for me.

Comment

thats the whole problem theres a million and one opinionated people out there and their entitled to their opinion. I just don't agree with people getting on here and saying that the Deubrook community is crazy! If you haven't watched the guy coach or played for him you really don't know enough about the situation. And thats not directed personally towards you mitchell. Being involved in this situation personally it disturbs me that there are so many people out there to jump instantly at giving a coach some slack. What people don't realize is this coach has been given slack for 5 years with no progress, so what is the only other solution? I'll be the first to admit that coaches in small towns become victims to the "parent with the star child" which in all reality is the child of no talent or not as much talent as the parent had or hoped for. All i'm trying to make people aware of is this isn't the case here! I believe the papers have blown this out of porportion in regards to it being a lawsuit over playing time! It truely is over coaching ability and performance as well as the integrity of the school board, and the part the papers left out is that Mr. Trooien has been fighting this move for 5 years. At which time he had no kids in High School. Media is often times able to make people believe what they want.....it wouldn't be as big of a story if they had said "Hofer should have one title, 3 tournament appearances and because he hasn't been able to perform they want him out and everyone wants him out".....that doesn't sell as many papers as "Small town coach bullied by parents over playing time"

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
                    [quote author=rabbitcoach link=1167501624/30#31 date=1167861804]jacksfaninne..you ever play basketball in high school?
                    Yep. You ever coach a high school basketball team? Served on a school board?[/quote]

Hmmm....I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. Does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitcoach
                      theres one parent who could do better but he doesn't have kids in high school...and i'm not asking you to change your opinion. And mitchell, here's a question for you...if you work somewhere, whos your boss?

Is it the guy that pays you?  Thats right it is!  So since the parents live in the school district and pay taxes which funds all the programs, wouldnt the person that FUNDS (or to help you out...PAYS) his salary be the parents?  I think you need to re-think your last comment!
                      Whoa! Rabbitcoach: calm down! You've made some good points but now you're getting a little shrill and that detracts from your argument. Now, let me see if I understand the point quoted above: I pay taxes so .... I know, I'll cancel the war in Iraq! What about those in the community who pay the same taxes but support the coach? Hmmm....I guess that's probably why we have some rules on how to handle such matters and those rules are being used. I look forward to reading the Judge's decision, whatever it may be.

Comment

Eh... I still think Trooien is a tool. But I give rabbitcoach style points for trying to anger people.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the judge will rule in favor of the school board. I still believe that the reason he doesn't go to a school where the community will embrace him is because he knows he can't make it at another program let alone be hired! I just wish he could go back to Waverly where they were happy going 6-16 every year and nobody was mad at anyone!

Comment

JackJD, I agree that I may have taken the school board/parent issue a little far but I think you get my main point...there was a moment when all members of the board agreed he wasn't getting the results and then they changed their mind....i actually find that move unfair to Hofer as well as the community! But in the end he really hasn't performed and the board should be held to their original decision. One thing I forgot to mention is that the night of the reinstatement; the board listened to all of the character accounts and then closed the meeting with a "Closed door" meeting. After a couple hours they came out with the decision to bring him back.....I have a feeling one person was doing the talking and that would be the gentleman who was part of the hiring board who has been in his position for almost 20 years and i'm sure it wasn't talking it was probably more like persuading the rest of the members to agree to the rehire.

Comment

Haldersham, not once have you spelled Deubrook right.  I will always agree that character counts.  Hofer is a great role model, but he was hired to coach basketball and character is only a portion of the job.  He can stay in the classroom and be a role model there and he would be a great one at that.  But we all want someone who can coach and teach the kids to reach further and not settle for average!  Don't you think that would carry over to the classroom as well?  Then you have average basketball players, average students, and eventually average workers....If i'm hiring employees I'm not looking for average employees!  12 kids headed nowhere.  

I think that if Hofer was as good as he thinks and as good as all of you who have probably never watched a Deubrook game think then he would have left 5 years ago when this all started and went to another school, he would have been successful and said "TOLD YA SO" to all of us....but he hasn't left cause he knows there isn't another coaching job out there for him.
                              Sorry about the spelling: Lets see its D-E-U-B-R-O-O-K and not D-U-E-BROOK.

I guess I would flunk on spelling of SD Counties. The County seat of Clear Lake is D-E-U-L COUNTY, Gee I thought it was Duel. You never answered my question. WHEN IS TIM TROOIEN RUNNING FOR SCHOOL BOARD?

Comment

JackJD, I agree that I may have taken the school board/parent issue a little far but I think you get my main point...there was a moment when all members of the board agreed he wasn't getting the results and then they changed their mind....i actually find that move unfair to Hofer as well as the community!  But in the end he really hasn't performed and the board should be held to their original decision.  One thing I forgot to mention is that the night of the reinstatement; the board listened to all of the character accounts and then closed the meeting with a "Closed door" meeting.  After a couple hours they came out with the decision to bring him back.....I have a feeling one person was doing the talking and that would be the gentleman who was part of the hiring board who has been in his position for almost 20 years and i'm sure it wasn't talking it was probably more like persuading the rest of the members to agree to the rehire.
                                I believe in SD boards do have the right to what is called executive session in which they can close the meeting. Its not uncommon, I saw it for 20 years in Nebraska amongst public power districts and even electric coops and telephone companies.It was appropriate whenever it involves personnel issues. I represented the boss, namely USDA who lent them the money to build their utiltiy plant. Did I ever ask for the contents of executive session or why they went into executive session? No not unless I had a reason to suspect assets encumbered or loan money was inappropriately used. Most of the time it was about some employee problem and or/law suits that had been raised against the utility entity.

In addition if the board member with 20 years of experience is bad for the community why not vote him off? Also I would tend to believe that the legal representative probably was present in the executive session and no doubt did most of the talking explaining what the options the board had to deal with. I imagine the 20 year guy listened as well as the other board members. I would tend to think most of the board members were not intimidated, but rather were trying to do the right thing. I believe there is an issue of tenure as it was mentioned in The Brookings Register.

Comment

Working...
                                X