Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Co-op between SDSU and USD

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
    Is that a direct quote from Fred to you?  I'll have to ask him if he said that.
    I wish you would. It would be interesting to hear his response. If he denies it, go ask one of the coaches.
    I'll ask Dr. Oien and get back to you.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

IF... IF he did say that, is it wrong not to help out a school that will be your primary recruiting rival in the state. Business is business. USD doesn't exactly say warm and fuzzy things about SDSU while recruiting or other wise, unless they suddenly want to resume the rivalry, then off course the tune changes. Business is business.

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
        When it comes to athletics though, let the 'Yotes fend for themselves!
        That's apparently the attitude Fred Oien has adopted. USD AD Joel Nielsen recently spent two days as a guest of NDSU AD Gene Taylor in Fargo. Nielsen was there to learn about the transisition process, budgets, travel, etc. NDSU feels a relationship with USD is important.

Contrasting, Fred Oien has directed his  coaching staff that under no terms are they to provide any advice or assistance to any USD coaches as USD approaches the transisition phase to DI.
        I would not be surprised if this was the direction given to SDSU Coaches either directly or indirectly. It seems the USD coaches were given the same direction after SDSU moved up. Paybacks are a bitch! Enjoy the wonders of playing an independent schedule. You can thank the State U's for forming a football conference for USd to join.

Comment

Is someone rewriting history.  I had heard when SDSU started the DI transition that the Jacks wanted to continue to play USD in a home and home series in basketball and even offered a 5-figure guarantee.  I remember the person who told me but I don't know if he really had his facts straight so I cannot vouch for accuracy on this.

Over on the Coyote Board someone is saying that SDSU refused such a series.

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com...ead=1168305747

Does anyone really know the truth?

Comment

I don't think anyone knows for sure and it is going to continue to be an argument with both sides blaming each other. And that isn't going to get any better now that USD is D-I. As talks of the two teams playing each other progresses in the coming years, the finger pointing is going to get worse.

As for the past, I'd have to say the consensus is that SDSU was willing to play USD as long as they came to Brookings and/or Sioux Falls. I would admit that SDSU was unwilling to travel to USD to play. But that is just the way it works when you make the move SDSU did. D-I teams don't travel to a D-II school in revenue generating sports. That is the fact of life and it is the same road the Augie-USD rilvalry is going to go through in the next few years. USD may play Augie in SF but I'm willing to bet it will be at the Arena now that USD has moved up.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack
              Is someone rewriting history.  I had heard when SDSU started the DI transition that the Jacks wanted to continue to play USD in a home and home series in basketball and even offered a 5-figure guarantee.  I remember the person who told me but I don't know if he really had his facts straight so I cannot vouch for accuracy on this.

The USD fans only help make our point. They are willing to play Augie at the Dome and at the Sioux Falls Arena (a neutral court), but not Augie's Elmen Center.

We too were willing to play USD at home and on a neutral court/field in Sioux Falls.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                [quote author=West-River_Jack link=1167579712/15#18 date=1168359945]Is someone rewriting history.  I had heard when SDSU started the DI transition that the Jacks wanted to continue to play USD in a home and home series in basketball and even offered a 5-figure guarantee.  I remember the person who told me but I don't know if he really had his facts straight so I cannot vouch for accuracy on this.

The USD fans only help make our point.  They are willing to play Augie at the Dome and at the Sioux Falls Arena (a neutral court), but not Augie's Elmen Center.

We too were willing to play USD at home and on a neutral court/field in Sioux Falls.  

Go State!  
                [/quote]

It will be interesting to see if USD does indeed play Augie at the Arena in Sioux Falls or if they will just play them in Vermillion or maybe not at all. Augie is playing all their home conference games at the Arena this year, so you can basically consider the Arena their home court. I wouldn't consider playing at the Arena a neutral court at all. But it's also yet to be determined whether USD would play them at the Arena. I hope they do.

Comment

But SDSU and USD would play MBB games at the SF arena? Only against each other or would both have games against other teams as well?

Would SDSU and USD play each other at the SF stadium for football? Sort've like Oklahoma and Texas at the Cotton bowl. That could be pretty cool if the stadium had 2 seating structures of equal size. One side would be nothing but red and the other side would be nothing but blue.

Comment

Originally posted by 2006gwfcchamps
                    One side would be nothing but red and the other side would be nothing but blue.
                    My bet is that there would be more BLUE than red.  We came close to or did out draw them in crowd numbers at the dome in the final years we played them.  

Comment

Working...
                    X