Education Bill in SD Legislature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Education Bill in SD Legislature

As was already said on this thread, if a mandate doesn't come from a state, then it's possible to have a situation where consolidation is voted down locally when it's needed.

Comment

We had three graduate from Deubrook and all graduated from college and are doing very well. A small school did not hurt them. This may not work for everyone a big school is not always the answer. It's whats in them and how they apply themselves when they get out.

Comment

Of course it is.

I believe the question is do you force taxpayers to pick up the tab for the inefficiencies inherent a district that small?

Comment

If small districts want local autonomy when it comes to consolidation or not, then I think they should not be able to bank on the state giving them extra money just because of their small school status. If they so choose to not consolidate then they better be prepared to pass local operating levies to come up with the extra dough they need. I believe in MN, I'm not exactly sure, that unless the district is in designated poverty area, they don't recieve any special monetary benefits. Local voters must pass their own referundums to pick up any costs the districts occur. Also, if any school district operates with a negative operating budget for more than three years in a row they risk being either shut down or taken over by the state. I do not see any problem with the fate of small districts being left to their own devices as long as they realize that they will need to pay for it themselves and not expect the state of SD to pick up the cost for their inefficencies.

Comment

Working...
          X