Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sioux Falls Development

Originally posted by jackmd
    No way Sioux Falls hosts a men's NCAA regiona or even the opening round games.  Just not enough population base around here.  I have attended the regional and final four in Minneapolis and had no trouble getting tickets the day of the games.  Pleny of seats are empty at many of the opening round games even in much larger metro areas than Sioux Falls will ever become.  As for the women's NCAA, different story and probably more likely.

Omaha will be hosting the first two rounds of next years Men's NCAA tourney.  I would go but there is just so much going on around that time I'm not sure I want to miss other potential events.

Sioux Falls will build a new arena, its just a matter of money.
    I have to disagree with you on the fact SF never hosts an NCAA tournament game. I think the folks of SD need to think big. It probably won't happen because people in SD don't want it to happen. Omaha isn't that much larger and neither is Boise (a common host for 1st and 2nd round games). Keep an open mind. Who knows how much more Sioux Falls will grow?
    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by gatewayrabbit
      [quote author=jackmd link=1173962272/0#14 date=1174437255]No way Sioux Falls hosts a men's NCAA regiona or even the opening round games. Just not enough population base around here. I have attended the regional and final four in Minneapolis and had no trouble getting tickets the day of the games. Pleny of seats are empty at many of the opening round games even in much larger metro areas than Sioux Falls will ever become. As for the women's NCAA, different story and probably more likely.

Omaha will be hosting the first two rounds of next years Men's NCAA tourney. I would go but there is just so much going on around that time I'm not sure I want to miss other potential events.

I have to disagree with you on the fact SF never hosts an NCAA tournament game. I think the folks of SD need to think big. It probably won't happen because people in SD don't want it to happen. Omaha isn't that much larger and neither is Boise (a common host for 1st and 2nd round games). Keep an open mind. Who knows how much more Sioux Falls will grow?
      [/quote]

I think the "small/backwater" feeling is starting to fade away in this state. The reality, however, is that SF isn't yet up to the size that would make hosting a men's tourney likely. Is SF gets a new arena, then the next steps can start to occur. Hosting Mid-Con tourneys successfully will help draw a WBB regional. Doing those successfully would likely open the door to SF potentially hosting the opening rounds for the Big Dance. Doing all that is probably a process that would take at least 20 years......

Comment

I agree, but it is something we need to think of. If and when a new arena gets built and other things get developed we need to make sure they are adequate for future needs. For example if a new arena is built it needs to be big enough. With SDSU and NDSUs fan base, hard core fans or other schools and local casual basketball fans the Mid-Con could get a very good draw for a conference tournament. This would like NightHawk pointed out would get the ball rolling to ultimately getting NCAA tournament games in SF.
        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          No way Sioux Falls hosts a men's NCAA regiona or even the opening round games.  Just not enough population base around here.  I have attended the regional and final four in Minneapolis and had no trouble getting tickets the day of the games.  Pleny of seats are empty at many of the opening round games even in much larger metro areas than Sioux Falls will ever become.  As for the women's NCAA, different story and probably more likely.

Omaha will be hosting the first two rounds of next years Men's NCAA tourney.  I would go but there is just so much going on around that time I'm not sure I want to miss other potential events.

I suspect CBS has played tricks on us when they do the opening rounds of the Big Dance. I always got the impression that these places were packed, but I have never attended a regional. Perhaps a women' regional is more in reach for SF than a men's. Maybe too, I am getting carried away with the WNIT fever in suggesting a regional for SF. Since no new arena is even close to being built, its likely a long ways off. The Sioux Falls electorate is not all sports crazy and they did show that in the last bond issue election. This may take some time to get the plans off the drawing board.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
            From what I am learning about the big dance and still know little, it appears that all the games are played on a neutral venue. If a large facility in Sioux Falls is built and its large enough to bid on a NCAA regional, I suspect that SDSU would not appear in that particular regional even with a selection at large or winning the Mid Con. I do wonder if tickets would be available to SF and surrounding area fans or would they be held back for all the participating team followers? I know tickets have been hard to come by when the Twin Cities hosted regionals in the past.
            As jackmd has posted, the men's regional comes to Omaha next year. It's already sold out, and that's caused quite a bit of angst, or at least the process has. Each NCAA event has a host school. Obviously, Creighton is the host for next year's Omaha regional. Current Creighton season-ticket holders received the first shot at pre ordering tickets. They could buy more than the number of season tickets they hold. Then some received a second chance to buy even more. Basically, Creighton season-ticket holders bought up all available tickets. Non-Creighton season ticket holders are a little chapped. The Qwest Center was sold to the taxpaying public as a way to bring major events, such as NCAA bball regionals, to Omaha. No one mentioned that you'd have to be a Creighton season-ticket holder to get in. At least the scalpers will have fists full of tickets, and Creighton season-ticket holders will probably have their season tickets covered for years to come. I'm glad we spanked their baseball team.

Also, Sioux Falls won't get a sniff at a men's regional unless they go bigger for their new arena, which doesn't seem feasible. Omaha had to add seats to get closer to 18,000 in order to be considered by the NCAA.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

That and Omaha has a far bigger population base than Sioux Falls...I'd be willing to bet Sioux Falls is 20+ years away from even thinking about hosting a NCAA first round game. Let's focus on hosting a Mid-Con tournament first...right now Sioux Falls probably wouldn't even be in the running for that.

Comment

According to Wikepedia

Omaha is the largest city in the U.S. state of Nebraska. It is the county seat of Douglas County.GR6 As of the 2000 census, the city had a population of 390,007. According to the 2005 census estimate, Omaha's population rose to 424,988 after annexing the smaller City of Elkhorn. Located on the eastern edge of Nebraska, it is on the Missouri River, about 20 miles (30 km) north of the mouth of the Platte River. Omaha is the anchor of the Omaha-Council Bluffs metropolitan area. Council Bluffs, Iowa lies directly across the Missouri River from Omaha. The city and its suburbs formed the 60th-largest metropolitan area in the United States in 2000, with a population of 819,246 (2006 [1]) residing in eight counties or about 1.2 million within a 50-mile (80 km) radius

Omaha's metro area has a larger population than our whole state.  1.2 million within 50 miles.  Our state population is less than 800k.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

The mid-west seems very possible for hosting tournaments.. if anybody knows much about mid-majors first of all there is alot of them in the midwest.. SDSU, NDSU, UNI, Drake, Creighton... I even consider Minnesota one... And like small town basketball in south dakota the mid-major colleges are supported by the community not just the alum and it would be easy to sell out a 15,000+ arena in the midwest.. I do remember 3 years ago when North Carolina played in Denver I had a friend go down there because the NCC tournament was down there and he was being recruited by accouple of them and he decided to stay for the opening rounds and said that the Pepsi Center was half-full.. even when Air Force played it wasn't full.

Sioux Falls needs to build a big arena.. 15,000.. SF needs one the S.F. arena is old and has an arched roof causing concerts not to come to town... Sioux Falls needs to think big it is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and Lincoln county..(south Sioux Falls) was the fastest growing county in the United States. The Skyforce are #1 in attendence averaging 3,800 p/game what will happen when the D-league gets alil more developed and bigger names start coming to town? The Storm are one of if not they best Indoor football franchise in any league except for the AFL.. and the Stampede have survived.. (I had doubts) and grown big in the comunity.. And the Arena clearly isn't ment for hockey...SDSU has shown that they can sell 6,000+ tickets in 4 hours for a WNIT game I don't think 15,000 would be the tuffest thing to sell out for the NCAA tournament..

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                    That and Omaha has a far bigger population base than Sioux Falls...I'd be willing to bet Sioux Falls is 20+ years away from even thinking about hosting a NCAA first round game.  Let's focus on hosting a Mid-Con tournament first...right now Sioux Falls probably wouldn't even be in the running for that.  
                    It better be in the running for the Mid-Cont in the near future as it's are only option as the hosts home arena is not an option. I realize the Arena is old, but still think it's a decent venue. Most of the seats are now chairback, new scoreboards on the ends, better and more concessions. The airport is close and the Sheraton next door. My understanding was the Mid-Cont officials were very impressed with the Sioux Falls facilities. The arena is not Frost, but it does has some redeeming qualities and the infrastructure in Sioux Falls is very adept at hosting big events. Bottom line is a new 15,000 seat arena is needed and my hope is it's downtown.

Comment

Why downtown?? Im not from Sioux Falls but most SF residents support it being downtown.. I would either want it as part of the exsisiting facility or build it west of town.. nothing against downtown but if you build it on the edge of town you can then build around the arena, make adiquite parking and the proper roads to get in and out fast and safe, I don't believe you can do that downtown..

Comment

Originally posted by gatewayrabbit
                        I have to disagree with you on the fact SF never hosts an NCAA tournament game.  I think the folks of SD need to think big.  It probably won't happen because people in SD don't want it to happen.  Omaha isn't that much larger and neither is Boise (a common host for 1st and 2nd round games).  Keep an open mind.  Who knows how much more Sioux Falls will grow?
                        I believe the county in which Boise is located exceeds a population of 300,000. I could be wrong. I don't think the Sioux Falls m"metro" area is much bigger than 200,000. That said, I agree that thinking in that direction for the future is better than just assuming it won't ever happen. I thank you for your perspective.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I went an checked it out. Boise is only about twice as large as SF and the SF metro area. The Taco Bell Arena in Boise seats 12,000 for BB games. Perhaps a regional in SF is a possibility if they build a new arena large enough to host the event. I can see it now......Taco Johns Arena.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Its not so much the size of the city as it is the ability to host it and the attitude that the city has with it. I don't know what SF has for hotels but from what I hear they are great host for State events and are great host for there semi pro teams.

Comment

I do know that the Event Center, as it came to be known, was developed with the idea that it could host NCAA events. I believe it was not the only driving factor in the size, but the plan called for a certain size and it was more than the minimum required.

As for the site of the Event Center, I would say that it is definitely not settled. The bond for the proposal to put it downtown was defeated by a very large margin and one of the reasons often cited by people was the location. Many people in SF do not believe there is adequate parking or roads for a facility in 13,000 - 15,000 range at a downtown location. Other reasons was that the cost was too much, didn't trust the city gov't because of cost overruns on other projects, and some others that I cannot recall.

Personally, I think SF needs a new event center, but I have to believe a better site can be found than what was proposed downtown. Moving traffic to the west (Minnesota Ave is about 4 blocks) is going to be almost impossible because of the Sioux River and the buildings that are built up against the streets already. I don't think it would be wise to add the cost of having to relocate Raven Industries to get traffic out of the event center to the west on 6th, same situation on 8th. If you want traffic to leave going to the east, the closest major artery is Cliff Ave, and that is almost a full mile away. Moving traffic to the north could happen along Weber as it winds past Morrells. To go south, the river forces everything over to Cliff Ave. If you head west first and then try to go south, you basically need to get to Minnesota Ave.

I'm not sure if it is feasible, and probably isn't, but the current location is really my first choice. I don't know how they could tear down the current Arena and build another, because of the use it gets. Maybe if the built the new one in the parking lot to the north of the current Arena, and then tore down the old one. That site has all the infrastructure in place already and would have to bring the total cost of the facility down.

But, that is just my uninformed opinion and am sure that those involved in the actual planning will come up with a good plan.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                                Why downtown?? Im not from Sioux Falls but most SF residents support it being downtown.. I would either want it as part of the exsisiting facility or build it west of town.. nothing against downtown but if you build it on the edge of town you can then build around the arena, make adiquite parking and the proper roads to get in and out fast and safe, I don't believe you can do that downtown..

When the Rockies organization built Coors Field, they pretty much rebuilt the downtown of Denver (Lo-Do as they call it). Not that Sioux Falls is going to build Coors Field, but building the center down town will further enhance the quality of the area. Upgrades from restaurants to shops, etc. will all get better. You can look to expand to the west but I don't think downtown will be bad at all. I think it will be positive for the city either way. But who knows...I'm only a college student and I'm from MN.

Comment

Working...
                                X