New Arena for Sioux Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Arena for Sioux Falls

I believe the first referendum was during the April or May City/County elections. Turnout is like 10% and the average voting age is 90.

They need to motivate the 75% of people who understand the need for a new arena to go vote.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
      I believe the first referendum was during the April or May City/County elections.  Turnout is like 10% and the average voting age is 90.  

They need to motivate the 75% of people who understand the need for a new arena to go vote.
      I think you are exaggerating the average voting in the last election. 90? I do agree that the turnout was low and probably more senior and retired people voted than those who are working. Given the way SD is set up for taxation namely sales tax and real property tax, new expensive projects make older people nervous. I not saying they are right or wrong, but they take the time to vote. The voters speak with their ballot.

The progressive people need to work on getting the vote out and as others have suggested and pointed out in detail, there needs to be a single plan that can be sold to the electorate.

The arguements for a new arena are strong and I would like to see it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
        [quote author=2002jack link=1182984804/15#15 date=1183051651]I believe the first referendum was during the April or May City/County elections.  Turnout is like 10% and the average voting age is 90.  

I think you are exaggerating the average voting in the last election. 90?  I do agree that the turnout was low and probably more senior and retired people voted than those who are working. Given the way SD is set up for taxation namely sales tax and real property tax, new expensive projects make older people nervous. I not saying they are right or wrong, but they take the time to vote.  The voters speak with their ballot.

The  progressive people need to work on getting the vote out and as others have suggested and pointed out in detail, there needs to be a single plan that can be sold to the electorate.

The arguements for a new arena are strong and I would like to see it happen.[/quote]

Alright, Alright, I'm not sure what the average age is. I'm guessing more than half of them were older than you Haldersham, and that is pretty darn old. ;D
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

When it comes to a new arena, we can't seem to come to a consensus here on the board as to where it should be located. That is just another reason for people to vote "no". If you think it should be downtown, you vote "no" if the location is going to be on the edge of town, and vice-versa.

There are also issues as to the size, what all it will include (rec center?), how it is paid for, who will manage it, who will have priority and what the cost to rent the facility will be. I am not at all optomistic that this is going to get done anytime soon.

With that said, I am in favor of locating the facility as close to the intersection of I-90 and I-29 as possible to make access easy to as many people as possible. I also believe that there will be plenty of developers that will follow this project wherever they put it, and soon it would generate actual new jobs at new retail and service locations. The current arena is not getting it done now, let alone being worthwhile in future years!

Comment

Location is an interesting point. Locating it at the I-90 and I-29 intersection would be just to the North of the land of University center (USDSU). I'm not sure how many people would be comfortable putting a sports arena there after the long conversations about having USDSU not be the state's 7th university. Not saying it would or wouldn't I"m just making an observation.

Comment

I also would like the I-90/29 intersection, but any interstate would work for me. I had never thought of the idea that people might think that it was the next step in setting up the 7th university. I personally think that won't happen even if it is located there. Another spot that I think would offer some potential is I-90/229 intersection, but both of these have an additional cost that I-29/229 site does not have, being the offer of the land donated.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

As usual there is a wide variety of opinions of if where and how big a new arena should be. There was a consensus among the committee who studied the various locations etc and deemed the dowtown site on the river was the best place. I'm in the camp of wanting the new arena to be the centerpiece of the new development downtown. The vote should be do we fund the arena or not. So far the folks in Pierre have refused to approve another penny entertainment tax to help fund it. I understand Mitchell, Watertown and maybe Huron our looking to fund their new event centers in a similiar fashion. Rapid City is building a second arena.

Comment

I think there is too many problems with downtown...
                  #1 Parking
                  #2 roads to and from
                  #3 future expansion (no room if on edge of town you can later add a second arena, a rec center a convention center if downtown you limit yourself to future expansion)

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                    I think there is too many problems with downtown...
                    #1 Parking
                    #2 roads to and from
                    #3 future expansion (no room if on edge of town you can later add a second arena, a rec center a convention center if downtown you limit yourself to future expansion)
                    I'm not sure why people keep bringing these items up. I agree the road situation isn't ideal, but with 6th and 10th to Cliff and Minesota as well as Phillips Avenue, there are plenty of ways for people to get out of downtown and to the interstates.

This new arena will hold ballpark 10,000-15,000 people and the majority of the events will be held either on weekends or in the evening. If downtown streets and parking are able to handle Hot Harley Nights which brings in 50,000+ people (guess here, think it may actually be higher) why wouldn't they be able to handle 15,000?

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente
                      Location is an interesting point. Locating it at the I-90 and I-29 intersection would be just to the North of the land of University center (USDSU). I'm not sure how many people would be comfortable putting a sports arena there after the long conversations about having USDSU not be the state's 7th university. Not saying it would or wouldn't I"m just making an observation.

Interesting observation.

IMO, here is what the average SF resident will have to say about a new arena now: "Why do we need a new arena when the one we have is obviously good enough. Just look, the Summit League is having their conference tournament here."
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

50,000 for Hot Harley Nights? Not saying it is wrong, just don't recall hearing those numbers.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

50,000 for Hot Harley Nights is right. That is, according to police estimates. They have also said that over 100,000 attend the Sidewalk Arts Festival. Keep in mind that all of those people are coming and going at different times.

JACKGUY II: A committee appointed by the Mayor that wants a downtown location decided that a downtown location would be best. I am a little leary of that "consensus".

As far as the 29/90 location adding to the "7th University" , it seems to me the only folks that ever think in terms of that phrase are people in Brookings, Vermillion, and Madison, or people with very strong ties to the institutions in those towns.

Comment

The best location is certainly a multifacted debate.  For people from out of town, an interstate location is certainly more convenient.  For benefits to the city a downtown location makes very good sense and is consistant with the a major effort to continue and enhance the redevelopment and stabilizing/revitalizing of that area.  All things consisdered I tend to feel that the downtown location is of the most benefit to Sioux Falls.  I doubt that such a location would prevent anyone from attending an event and the benefits of perhaps encouraging more overnighters and thus enhancement in opportunities to pay for the facility would probably offset any inconvenience.

In any case I would just like to see a geat facility built, whatever the location.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74
                              The best location is certainly a multifacted debate.  For people from out of town, an interstate location is certainly more convenient.  For benefits to the city a downtown location makes very good sense and is consistant with the a major effort to continue and enhance the redevelopment and stabilizing/revitalizing of that area.  All things consisdered I tend to feel that the downtown location is of the most benefit to Sioux Falls.  I doubt that such a location would prevent anyone from attending an event and the benefits of perhaps encouraging more overnighters and thus enhancement in opportunities to pay for the facility would probably offset any inconvenience.

In any case I would just like to see a geat facility built, whatever the location.
                              These are my sentiments exactly. I understand why out of towners prefer the interstate locations, but my feeling is the dowtown location has a broader economic benefit for Sioux Falls. I have heard they have numerous contingency plans to make the drive in and out of the downtown area seemless with making certain roads one ways rather than two ways on event nights. As has been referenced there are much bigger events held in the dowtown area that have been held with no major inconvience.

Comment

For a location yes putting it downtown will bring money there but alot of that money is already Sioux Falls spent. If I lived in Sioux Falls ya I would make an afternoon of it but if I am the average guy with a wife and 2 kids from out of town I am not going to make an afternoon of going downtown I would rather hit the mall and McDonalds and go to the arena and as soon as the event is over I would want to get out of town.

If you put an arena on the south side near the interstate you would drawl more from Tea, Harrisburg, Hartford, and Lennox. By doing that you bring OUT OF TOWN DOLLARS into town. Which benifits the whole town not just one part.

Comment

Working...
                                X