Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Arena for Sioux Falls

Originally posted by dakotakid View Post
    i don't care where it is located, but sioux falls is small in the scope of things and even downtown is not that hard to get to. I think we need to get a new arena where ever they build it.
    qft.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
      I agree. When was the last time you stayed away from an event because of location in a town the size of Sioux Falls. In my case that has never been the deciding factor if I wanted to go.
      I very seldom attend events at the Washington Pavillion for that very reason.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
        I very seldom attend events at the Washington Pavillion for that very reason.
        You don't attend events there because they are downtown? What is the reason for that? I'm not trying to be a jerk I am just curious. I've never lived in SF.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
          You don't attend events there because they are downtown? What is the reason for that? I'm not trying to be a jerk I am just curious. I've never lived in SF.
          First of all I want to say I love going downtown. On that note, there is absolutely no where to park. I'm not being "old man" about this. I've gone to big events and walked before, but to get to a big event downtown would be a haul to get there and worse to get out.

The thing about the events center is that there is nothing around the borders of SF. Its not like a big city where no matter where you build you will be amongst a population. If you build it near the intersection of I-90 and I-29 (or some other outer city limits site), you could design it however you wanted. Parking would be plentiful, two interstates going in all directions close by, and a town that will eventually grow around the event center. If you put it downtown, you have already congested traffic, no parking, and god forbid if there were something else going on. Maybe a parking ramp or something would help, but it seems like getting to and from would be an unneccesary hassel.

As someone said earlier, I would be ok with a downtown location if that were the difference in getting an events center. The Arena needs replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
            I know that there are a lot of exceptions so I expect to see some disagreement to the following statement. I believe that if Sioux Falls wants the events center mainly for the people of Sioux Falls, that a downtown location is a good idea, but if they want the events center as an attraction to bring a lot of people (AND THEIR MONEY) to Sioux Falls that it is better to build it on the edge of town with easy access and easy parking.
            Building an Events Center on the outskirts of Sioux Falls while maybe more accessible for out of town people offers virtually no economic impact to the city. The downtown location on the east bank of the river will have a parking ramp and will be in walking distance to a # of present/new restaurants and bars. If they can move 60,000 people in/out of downtown Sioux Falls for Hot Harley nights and some of the other special events I think they can handle 15,000-16,000. If Sioux Falls is ever going to have the kind of downtown that many currently invision IMHO it needs to start with a downtown Events Center.

Comment

From: http://www.freewebs.com/builditdownt...ingtraffic.htm

Within three blocks of the Zip Feed/Downtown site there are 4,294 available parking spaces and 5,008 within four blocks. Within three blocks of the Convention Center there are 4,297 spaces and 4,544 within four blocks. This means the statement ‘there is less parking downtown’ is simply not true. There are 464 more parking spaces downtown within four blocks of the proposed sites.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                First of all I want to say I love going downtown. On that note, there is absolutely no where to park. I'm not being "old man" about this. I've gone to big events and walked before, but to get to a big event downtown would be a haul to get there and worse to get out.

The thing about the events center is that there is nothing around the borders of SF. Its not like a big city where no matter where you build you will be amongst a population. If you build it near the intersection of I-90 and I-29 (or some other outer city limits site), you could design it however you wanted. Parking would be plentiful, two interstates going in all directions close by, and a town that will eventually grow around the event center. If you put it downtown, you have already congested traffic, no parking, and god forbid if there were something else going on. Maybe a parking ramp or something would help, but it seems like getting to and from would be an unneccesary hassel.

As someone said earlier, I would be ok with a downtown location if that were the difference in getting an events center. The Arena needs replacing.
                You may be able to build it how you want it, but you also have to keep in mind that you have to pay for everything you build. Do you realize how much 5,000 new parkings spaces would cost out in the middle of nowhere, not to mention all the storm sewer system/detention ponds/access roads you'd need to build as well? If you build it at its current location or at the downtown location you get to use all of the infrastructure already in place which will cut down on alot of construction costs.

Comment

That is the big question, will an event spur development. And if so, where will it create the most new development. I would rather have it where it created new development as opposed to shifting existing business to the new site.

I have yet to hear an explanation as to why it would create more new development at any site over others; just hear how it will help which ever site is being pushed by that group.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

Within three blocks of the Zip Feed/Downtown site there are 4,294 available parking spaces and 5,008 within four blocks. Within three blocks of the Convention Center there are 4,297 spaces and 4,544 within four blocks. This means the statement ‘there is less parking downtown’ is simply not true. There are 464 more parking spaces downtown within four blocks of the proposed sites.

The example I gave was using the Washington Pavillion. I've never attended an event at the Zip Feed Mill so I can't really comment on its accessability. If the Pavillion falls in the area you are mapping, then the map is garbage. It is impossible to find a spot for a big event despite the number of "available" spots.

Comment

There may be that many parking spots available, but those spots are spread out into smaller parking lots (50 spots here, 50 spots there) and it is sometimes hard to find an open spot when you are not familar with the area.

An example would be going to a baseball game in Minneapolis or going to a baseball game in Milwaukee. In Minneapolis you have to search for an parking spot at a bunch of different parking lots scattered throughout, whereas in Milwaukee all of the parking is at one spot (right next to the stadium). I prefer the parking of the Milwaukee Brewers over the parking of the Minnesota Twins.

I have no preference of either location for Sioux Falls; just would like to get something built.

Comment

How many of those "available" parking spots were actually available during the afternoon weekday sessions of the Summit Tournament?
                        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                          How many of those "available" parking spots were actually available during the afternoon weekday sessions of the Summit Tournament?
                          That's a good point, it would have sucked on those two days. How many big events a year do you think take place on a weekday afternoon? Should it not be built there because of a couple bad days a year?

Comment

I went to the tournament. Parking at the arena wasn't a big issue. The weather held down Tuesday's attendance to less than capacity, so parking spaces were plentiful. If a person was willing to walk a couple hundred yards, a parking spot could be found at any time on Saturday, when three XDSU teams played in the arena and a home show was going on in the convention center. There have been football games at Howard Wood and concerts that have attracted far more than 6,000 people, which is about the arena capacity for basketball. Obviously, additional parking in the neighborhood would have to be provided for a new events center capable of holding crowds of 14,000 or more. To my knowledge, the state and other cities in the region have no plans to contribute any money towards construction of the new center. So you can't blame Sioux Falls for locating the center for its economic betterment rather than for the traveling convenience of out-of-towners.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Stu weighs in: http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                                honestly, one of the better articles (blog post) stu has wrote..... It actually kinda made sense. I argue with him with having all state basketball tournaments in sioux falls because as long as Aberdeen sells out and Rapid gets pretty full they (SDHSAA) don't care but overal a pretty decent article......

Comment

Working...
                                X