Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol sales at sporting events

http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...ales/74462356/

interesting topic of allowing beer and wine sales at certain on campus facilities.

Re: Alcohol sales at sporting events

I think it is pretty clear where Sell wants this to end up. A quote from the article:

“We’ve all got bills to pay,” Sell said. “What’s always been interesting to me is we set up public safety and security to manage the issue, but we make no money to pay those people with sales. I’m a realist. I say let’s sit down and look at this. Is it an option, and does it make sense?”

Comment

Re: Alcohol sales at sporting events

As some one who has not touched spirited beverages in over 40 years, I recognize that AD Sells does have bills to pay. Its a legitimate concern. I can not have a single beer as it would lead to another and another. Its a poison to me, but does everyone have this problem? Most of you don't and would be classified social drinkers, and you are the target for these beverages sales. I do think, these laws governing state assisted schools need to be reviewed and updated. I grew up in Brookings that during my student days 1959-65 ,Brookings was a pure 3.2 beer town with a city owned liquor store. I read in one of the history books of SDSU, authored by Howard Kramer that the Lutheran Church in the 1920's had a big influence on law makers and hoards wanted no liquor and for God's sake no dancing on campus. I think some of the hangover from that thinking still lingers today. I don't suppose morally, dancing is a problem for current students, they just don't have formally on campus dances like we did at the Union in the 1960's. Hobo Day dances apparently have disappeared completely due to lack of interest. At least that is my guess.

I recall a Union conversation in the 1960's about how they served beer at the Union in Madison Wisconsin. I just could not picture that at SDSU, given all the people who opposed drinking, but most of these folks have long departed and we seem to have a different outlook in general about personal morals.

If everyone acts responsible manner and is answerable for their actions, then I say go for it. And what the President said about the party room, I think is an issue that needs to be resolved if this room is used for wedding receptions and other socials that require the serving of spirited beverages.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 10-25-2015, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X