Al Neuharth, 1924-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Neuharth, 1924-2013

An article well worth reading in today's Argus Leader on the passing of Al Neuharth: http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...shed-S-D-roots

One of USD's best all-time supporters, Neuharth considered every South Dakota a friend and there are stories about how well he treated SDSU people too.

I have a journalism degree and followed closely the startup and growth of USA Today. I was one of the legion who thought "there's a dumb idea". (More proof of "what the heck do I know?) It's my habit when out of town to pick up the local paper. Soon I was picking up two papers: the local product and something familiar: USAToday. I liked looking at the big weather map where Eureka, South Dakota was one of the reported temps.

Must see stops in Vermillion (please don't start smacking in response...I am serious): (1) The Neuharth Media Center -- if you haven't been there but you've been to any of the Smithsonian museums in Washington DC, you'll know the quality of the presentations and displays but on a smaller scale --very impressive; (2) the Shrine to Music - you'll see musical instruments that exist no where else in the world; and, of course (3) Carey's Bar.

Here's the story of his death in HIS paper, the USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...at-89/2097995/

Re: Al Neuharth, 1924-2013

Met Al Neuharth at the reception for the SDSU "Pride of the Dakotas" before the 1st Clinton inauguration. He had arranged use of the USA Today top level suite for the Reception.

Loss for South Dakota, and loss of a strong work ethic newspaper man.

Comment

I remember going to Ray's Drug in 1953 and 1954 in Brookings and paying for a copy of SODAK Sports. This is one of his ventures that failed, but he had the best sports coverage in high school sports. Like Ross Case at KWAT and his Sunday Afternoon sports shows, he was way ahead of his time in sports coverage. Both covered each conference in the state, and all the little schools whose doors have long closed got mention and praise when they deserve it. Neuharth apparently could not keep his peach colored weekly paper going. Not enough advertizing or his rates were too low. It was a great paper as was USA Today is still today. Sad news, Al was a good friend to USD and SDSU, I expect to hear more about additional gifts more to USD than SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        I remember going to Ray's Drug in 1953 and 1954 in Brookings and paying for a copy of SODAK Sports. This is one of his ventures that failed, but he had the best sports coverage in high school sports. Like Ross Case at KWAT and his Sunday Afternoon sports shows, he was way ahead of his time in sports coverage. Both covered each conference in the state, and all the little schools whose doors have long closed got mention and praise when they deserve it. Neuharth apparently could not keep his peach colored weekly paper going. Not enough advertizing or his rates were too low. It was a great paper as was USA Today is still today. Sad news, Al was a good friend to USD and SDSU, I expect to hear more about additional gifts more to USD than SDSU.
        I should qualify my post by saying that Ross Case's radio show was more of a regional show and covered the KWAT listening area which was large in the days before KBRK and KJJQ. In the Argus article, it mentions Neuharth covered as many as four games in one night, so he put a bunch of miles on his car, and though a failure, it turned out to be the best for Neuharth. I wished I had saved the copies of his paper. Whether East River or West River, BB and other sports got covered.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X