Operation Overlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Overlord

Today is the 68th Anniversary of "Operation Overlord", the Allied invasion (and eventual liberation) of France.

We Americans know it better as "D-Day".

I thought you should know before you get too wrapped up in silly things today.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: Operation Overlord

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    Today is the 68th Anniversary of "Operation Overlord", the Allied invasion (and eventual liberation) of France.

We Americans know it better as "D-Day".

I thought you should know before you get too wrapped up in silly things today.
    They also unvieled a statue of Major Dick Winters from Band of Brothers. Great movie and books by the way. Also the pacific is top notch.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm not sure what I did on my 24th birthday, but I'm sure it had something to do with a bar and beer.

My great-uncle Tommy Wilson spent his 24th birthday landing on the beaches of Normandy to save Europe from the Nazis.

Something to think about.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

At one point about 10 years ago, World War II vets were dying across the U.S. at a rate of 1,000 per day. That rate has decreased the past few years, but then there's not as many vets around either.

Tom Brokaw called this group "The Greatest Generation". Surviving the Great Depression, fighting in a world war, and planting the seed for social change in the country... yeah, I can definitely see this group as "The Greatest Generation".
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Don't know that I can remember what I was doing on my 24th birthday. I know it wasn't relieving an occupation. Hard to even fathom how many lives those soldiers saved from the Nazis.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

June 6th is also famous for...you guessed it, the 78th anniversary of that old goat...Jacks#1Fan. Now you know! (You might call this post...Operation Overload! or More than you really want to Know!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              June 6th is also famous for...you guessed it, the 78th anniversary of that old goat...Jacks#1Fan. Now you know! (You might call this post...Operation Overload! or More than you really want to Know!)
              A Happy belated Birthday to Jack#1 Fan. Seems like you should have some recollections of this event being 13 or 14 years old at the time. What was going on in Lake Preston that day? Too early for Watermelon Day, that would have been held on Labor Day.

Comment

Actually, I was 10 and living in Houston at the time. When the end of the war came, my mother took me downtown and I sat on a curb and watched thousands of people flood the streets. It was a memorable day!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Actually, I was 10 and living in Houston at the time. When the end of the war came, my mother took me downtown and I sat on a curb and watched thousands of people flood the streets. It was a memorable day!
                  I would have been maybe 3 or 4, at the time. I do have a vague recollection of going with my parents to Old State Field, now Sexauer Field and watched kind of a welcome home event. Lots of soldiers marching and even some artillery cannons being fired. Thats about all I can recall. I want to say it was summer of 1945 or 46. I would assume your father was in the military at that time.

Comment

Working...
                  X