Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1230 KWSN commits gross journalistic malpractice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimmyJack
    replied
    Re: 1230 KWSN commits gross journalistic malpractice?

Filbert's right. Creating a pretend interview from a teleconference where many reporters asked questions would clearly be unethical journalism. If the end result is misleading the listeners about the nature of the interaction, that's not acceptable. It's also just plain pathetic that the "reporter" wanted so badly to be part of the story that he would manufacture something like that.

Leave a comment:

• EQguy
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    KWSN personality.
    That might be stretching it a bit.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I'd have to listen to it to get an actual understanding of it. Are they acting and passing the interview on as if they are giving it or are they just repeating the questions perbatum so you can understand them better? Its a very fine line, and can be interpreted very different by different people.
    Oh, no, they were pretending to actually talk to Nagy . . . calling him "Coach" and everything. You'd probably think it was a pretty decent interview - - - if you hadn't already heard the exact same answers from the conference call TV posted about three hours previous. And I don't recall that a single question on the call was actually asked by a KWSN personality.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

I'd have to listen to it to get an actual understanding of it. Are they acting and passing the interview on as if they are giving it or are they just repeating the questions perbatum so you can understand them better? Its a very fine line, and can be interpreted very different by different people.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
    So it was more like what Stewart and Colbert does? Without the premise of humor though of course.
    And, I think, the understanding that it isn't the actual person sitting across from them.

Leave a comment:

• jackrabit1
    replied

To be honest, it's not something I'd do. I remember doing a press conference with our DSU athletic director about the school becoming an independent. I did the conference with the sports editor from the local paper and I ran the whole presser as is on my Saturday sports show. I didn't dub over the newspaper's questions and make them my own.

The only time I would consider dubbing over questions is if during my interview, would be if it was during a phone interview and my audio quality was so lousy I needed to redub my questions.

To me, it's a point of professional courtesy.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    I asked two of those questions... so in other words, I was on KWSN today. LOL
    Do you feel good about your self?????

Leave a comment:

• jackrabit1
    replied

I asked two of those questions... so in other words, I was on KWSN today. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Prairiehaas
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    KWSN was taking the audio of answers from questions in a presser, and then having their host "ask" the questions as if they were the ones who originated the questions in the first place. That's the part I find really objectionable and kind of offensive. Seems to me to be a kind of plagiarism--of the questions, not of the answers.
    So it was more like what Stewart and Colbert does? Without the premise of humor though of course.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied
    Re: 1230 KWSN commits gross journalistic malpractice

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
    This. IMO 99.1 focuses a little too much on local high school sports but that's likely because I care very little about local high school sports. But, they are definitely not Craig and if nothing else they have that going for them.
    I typically listen to classical 88.1 when at work. Just love classical. But with the tourney coming up I listened most of the day when I wasn't on the phone. When tyler was on it seemed pretty decent. At least I didn't listen to colin cowturd.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Having worked in radio for 14 years this is unacceptable. Radio is all about having a relationship with your listeners and making them feel like you are apart of the family. No on-air personality should lie to their listener base like this. Use the audio the way that a press conference like it is meant to be used. It is a place for information to be gathered by reporters to be put into a story. Not to be pirated so that some no-talent hack can have a "one-on-one" interview. This takes away from all the real journalists that take the time to go through the correct channels and get real interviews.

Sorry, this kind of thing makes me angry. This type of irresponsibility is what sometimes gives radio a bad name.

Leave a comment:

• EQguy
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    99.1 epsn had tyler on and it was pretty decent.
    This. IMO 99.1 focuses a little too much on local high school sports but that's likely because I care very little about local high school sports. But, they are definitely not Craig and if nothing else they have that going for them.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Not at all surprised by this. My advice, don't listen to 1230 KWSN.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
    I was watching something and it was stated that the announcers for the game werent actually at the game.
    The Big Ten Network got caught doing this earlier this season. They made it seem like the announcers were live at the game site,while they were actually watching the game in studio and adding the commentary. They did not tell the audience that they were not actually at the game.

Leave a comment:

• FargoBison
    replied

You should say where you got the info from, it is ok to use something from a press conference but it isn't right to pass it off as some kind of live interview.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X