Madison Shooting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madison Shooting...

Needless to say, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Spent most of the night monitoring the police scanner at work and doing updates.

Then again, not a lot of other folks in Madison got much sleep either.

http://www.amazingmadison.com/Vehicl...eleas/12153974

http://www.amazingmadison.com/Madiso...ion-d/12156065

http://www.amazingmadison.com/DSU-re...-inci/12157728

http://www.amazingmadison.com/Author...re-in/12158994

My thoughts and prayers to the family of the man killed... and to the law enforcement officials who have been going on coffee and adrenaline trying to find the killer.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: Madison Shooting...

Am I correct that as of right now, the suspect is still at large? If so, everybody be careful and watchful out there. Don't take chances, don't be stupid, do look out for yourself and those around you.
    Law enforcement officials in Madison, SD are investigating a shooting death which occurred in the city of Madison on the evening of 1-31-12. Law enforcement is asking for the public's assistance with information regarding identifying a vehicle seen in the area. The vehicle is believed to be a maroon 4 door sedan driven by a white male, 50 to 60 years old, 5'8" to 6' tall, medium build, possibly wearing glasses and a ball cap. Subject is considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with information call the Madison Police Dept, 605-256-7531.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

As far as I know, the suspect is still at large. Our news director should have more information after 5:30 tonight. Needless to say, a lot of evening activities have been cancelled around Madison tonight.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Do you know, is the victim related to the college? I don't recognize the name, but someone told me he was a retired teacher. (THIS IS A TOTAL RUMOR AT THIS POINT, JUST TRYING TO VERIFY, PLEASE DON'T SOURCE ME ON THIS COMMENT)

Comment

From what I gathered, he was a teacher at the High School. I've only lived in Madison for about six years, and I think he had retired well before I moved here.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Official release from the Madison Police Department....

The Madison City Police Department and the Division of Criminal Investigation confirm that Norman Johnson, 72, of Madison, was the victim in the shooting incident in Madison at approximately 7:35pm last evening in the 200 block of NW 5th Street. No arrests have been made at this time, but law enforcement continues to follow up leads as the investigation continues. Law enforcement does not believe that there is an ongoing threat to the public at this time.

Law enforcement is again asking for the public’s assistance with information regarding identifying a vehicle seen in the area. The vehicle is believed to be a red 4 door sedan driven by a white male, 50 to 70 years old, 5’8” to 6’ tall, medium build, possibly wearing glasses and a ball cap.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Madison Police Department at 256-7531.
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120201/ARGUS911/120201028/Argus-911-Suspect-arrested-in-Madison-shooting?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|Home

Comment

This is really sad. Some one 73 shooting a guy 71. Both are just a couple of years older than myself. Waiting for details. Like did the shootist know his victim?

Comment

Apparently the guy arrested and charged claims a Watertown residence but he's not in the phone book and no one I've talked to knows the guy.

Comment

My buddy is a cop in watertown, see if i can get any inside info.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Sounds like they were high school classmates. I feel this is going to be a very wierd and unfortunate ordeal. No one deserves to die with 2 shots to the head. Except maybe that Roberts and Berget in sioux falls for murdering the penn guard. this is very sad indeed.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

A 50 year grudge. sounds like he has threated people before.

Comment

Here is the lastest from the Argus. States there was a 50 year grudge.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

Comment

Since a 50 year grudge, maybe a 60 year grudge, was mentioned, I will share a tid bit of recall from that era for you.

Back in 1957. Brookings High School had a coach named Norman "Nig" Johnson who I faintly recall speaking at pep rally just before we played Madison who at that time was in the ESD. What I recall was said was that Madison had a player with the same name as Coach Nig. And I dont recall exactly what he said, he commented on the coincidence of having the same name as one of the Madison players. To think some 50 years later this player is apparently the victim of murder. Life is strange and to have it end in this manner is very tragic.

Dont ask me how Coach Johnson got the nickname Nig. All I know is that he was a preacher's kid from Sinai SD and excelled at sports at Augustana. Nothing racial was ever intended by this nickname as far as I know. Coach Nig was a great phy ed teacher and coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Since a 50 year grudge, maybe a 60 year grudge, was mentioned, I will share a tid bit of recall from that era for you.

Back in 1957. Brookings High School had a coach named Norman "Nig" Johnson who I faintly recall speaking at pep rally just before we played Madison who at that time was in the ESD. What I recall was said was that Madison had a player with the same name as Coach Nig. And I dont recall exactly what he said, he commented on the coincidence of having the same name as one of the Madison players. To think some 50 years later this player is apparently the victim of murder. Life is strange and to have it end in this manner is very tragic.

Dont ask me how Coach Johnson got the nickname Nig. All I know is that he was a preacher's kid from Sinai SD and excelled at sports at Augustana. Nothing racial was ever intended by this nickname as far as I know. Coach Nig was a great phy ed teacher and coach.
                              My buddy has family from the area. Said the victims nick name was stormin norman.

Comment

Working...
                              X