Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Janklow, 1939-2012

Bill Janklow has died

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120112/UPDATES/120112011/Former-Gov-Bill-Janklow-dead-72?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|Home

Re: Bill Janklow, 1939-2012

Love him or hate him, he was a doer. Rare thing in a politician. I had my share of run-ins with him in the early 80's, probably voted for him in 1980 election. Admirable for his accomplishments, and forth-right manners, but man didn't want to be the no, or alternative to his steamroller projects and interests. Colorful addition to the SD political arena. RIP Bill.

Comment

My condolences to his family. Bill was a brilliant man even though I did not agree with his politics. He was very direct, and people knew where he stood. Agreed he was a doer.

Comment

I covered him when I worked at the Argus. True story: My editor sent me to interview Janklow at the Minnehaha Country Club. I waited at the gate. Janklow drove up in his town car, rolled down the window and said something to the effect of "what do you want, mother***er. Then he drove in, leaving me standing there. When I got back to the office my editor told me I should have stood in front of Janklow's car to force him to answer questions or run me over. My editor also called me a mother***er.

Janklow called me names many times, but I understood he was just playing a role. Once you let him chew you out, he'd answer your questions. Anyone who knows anything about the guy knows that he had a big heart and really wanted to do the right thing. I didn't agree with him much, but I still respected him. My thoughts go out to his family today.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

A politician once said of Janklow that working with him was like inviting him over to your house for dinner, him knocking you out with a shovel, then coming to in a fancy French restaurant. That said, he was a very strong character and he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. But at the same time he did a lot of good for the state. I don't think we'll see someone of his stature in our lifetimes ever again.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

He's the guy who ran stop sign and killed a guy on a motorcycle about 10 years ago, and only spent about 100 days in jail, right?
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
              He's the guy who ran stop sign and killed a guy on a motorcycle about 10 years ago, and only spent about 100 days in jail, right?
              Rowdy - I respect your right to your opinion and political views, (and your right to share it with us) but to say that Governor Janklow's life is defined by the biggest regret in his life is rather shortsighted and callous. (and tasteless - I think you are better than that)

I'm engaged in supporting my Mother through a current fight for her life versus cancer and I hope you never have to endure that (or someone making fancy with a family member's death). My hopes are that Jackrabbit fans are a little classier than that.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                I'm engaged in supporting my Mother through a current fight for her life versus cancer and I hope you never have to endure that (or someone making fancy with a family member's death). My hopes are that Jackrabbit fans are a little classier than that.
                Strangely enough I had an uncle die of none other than brain cancer back in 2007, after an 11 year, on and off battle with it.

Also have a mother who is diabetic and can almost guarantee if she ran a red light and killed someone, she would spend more than 100 days in jail.

All that being said...I probably was a little harsh on him. He did have quite the political career, that is for sure. I'm almost positive I would have voted for him had I been old enough his first three terms or in the state for his fourth.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I thought he could give a good speech. Got to talk with him while the marching band was in tha capital for some of the war monument dedications. I personally like a lot of his views. He was never a guy who would stab you in the back. You always knew where he stood.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Rowdy don't be so certain. There's been a number of cases in SD when a traffic violation resulted in a death and the driver received less than 100 days. Including a case in Aberdeen in the early 80's where a man purposly ran over someone, was found guilty and released with time served.

Gov. Janklow made a terrible mistake, served time, lost his political career and a significant portion of his reputation for it. Now he has passed and should be allowed to rest in peace.
                    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                      Rowdy - I respect your right to your opinion and political views, (and your right to share it with us) but to say that Governor Janklow's life is defined by the biggest regret in his life is rather shortsighted and callous. (and tasteless - I think you are better than that)

Agreed. Nobody should be judged based only on their worst moment. I didn't agree with Janklow. But he was a very important figure in this state for a very long time. And, like his politics or not, a pretty decent and interesting guy, too.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

First met him when I was 10 years old at the dedication of the amateur baseball hall of fame in Lake Norden. As time went on I rarely agreed with his political positions and felt that he had many character flaws, some that lead to extremely poor decisions and cost Bill and others dearly. He was a very good politician and from what I understand a decent lawyer. I can't judge him any further than that. Condolences to the family and may he rest in peace.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The former Mayor of Sinai is married to my niece. I once took a poke at Janklow while visiting his home. I was very quickly dressed down for my comment. The former mayor defended him to the end as he was mayor when a wind storm whipped through tiny Sinai maybe 6 or 7 years ago and done a great deal of damage. My Niece's husband had the Governor's telephone number at his tips in case of an emergency of this nature. He called Governor Janklow and immediately things started to happen. The National Guard show up within an hour, and he told the Mayor, that he would be there within an hour and he was there with all his minions barking out orders and trying to restore order to the community. If my nieces husband could not convince me that Janklow had a heart and took his job seriously, then no one could. The community survived and is still ther minus many trees, but we can thank the late Governor for his help.

Comment

I'm not sure how accurate, but my perception has always been, regardless of his political party and his methods used, he loved the state of South Dakota and did what he thought was best for the state. As a Governor you couldn't ask for more than that!

Comment

Here is the story on the KELOLAND Website.

I was able to watch all of his son's Russ tributes and those from Sen Daschle and Bishop Vollmer. Everyone had great things to say about him.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail61...end/?Id=126389
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 01-18-2012, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X