Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Athletic Report release from Regents

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    That wasn't a fee, that was income. Top half is income, bottom half is expenditures.
    Doh!

USD Business School.

Comment

Originally posted by HadleyCoyote View Post
      A big line item that jumps out at me is the NCAA/Conference fee. What is this fee for? MVFC/Summit conference fees?

SDSU paid just over $1M last year, USD paid $0. That's a big chunk of change not in the USD budget yet.
      Income, not an expense as stated above.

It's payment SDSU receives from the NCAA for the men's basketball tourney I believe. Each conference gets a share and that share is increased with each win by the conference rep(s) in the tourney. It's bigger in 2011 than 2010 because SDSU finally received a full share.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        I do not agree dropping wrestling would be a wise move. You may not follow wrestling, but don't kid yourself, it's huge in the midwest. It's been hard getting traction, but this is a sport where SDSU can on a fairly consistent basis compete for individual national championships. With only 9.9 scholarships allowed, the big dogs (Iowa, Minnesota, etc) can't get all the talent. SDSU has a chance to pick up some very talented wrestlers. Winning or placing kids at the national tournament would be great for SDSU.

An argument could be made to drop golf based on our location. Hard to consistently be good at golf with the limited amount of outdoor practice time.

Having a high number of sports helps immensely in the Commioners Cup.

1) I wrestled for 10 years. I'm from the midwest. I'm from Brookings. I'm also a realist. It's a dying sport, so kill it already.
        2) I don't give a rat's "whatsit" about the Commissioner's Cup, I'd trade that thing right now for a Football Playoff Berth or a trip to the Men's Big Dance. No one in America cares about the Cup, except us, because we happen to have won it last year.
        3) Golf nor tennis is even a reasonable sport to keep.
        Last edited by Theee Catrabbit; 12-09-2011, 11:59 AM.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          Wrestling: 24 participants
          Swim/Dive: 22 men, 28 women
          Tennis: 7 men, 9 women
          Golf: 9 men, 9 women

To simplify the math for you: SDSU spends 10.5% of its budget on 18.3% of its athletes.

So, no, SDSU doesn't spend that much on those sports.
          I don't care how many athletes it supports, it's still $1.2 million dollars, that math should be simple enough for you. Nice job disregarding that number. We're never going to agree on this. Of course it doesn't matter because we don't have a say in it, unless your last name happens to be Chicoine.

Comment

Originally posted by HadleyCoyote View Post
            Doh!

USD Business School.
            Remind me not to hire any USD accountants.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              I don't care how many athletes it supports, it's still $1.2 million dollars, that math should be simple enough for you. Nice job disregarding that number. We're never going to agree on this. Of course it doesn't matter because we don't have a say in it, unless your last name happens to be Chicoine.
              What's your proposal?

You pull those sports and you'll need to add roughly 16 men to another program somewhere else.

You'll have $700k to spend on men's sports, but say $200k will need to go to that new sport that you'll have to add to remain Title IX compliant, so that leaves you with $500k to add to the football budget.

Oh, you'll also have to spend $500k on women's sports without adding a single participant.

See how that works?

My last name isn't Chicoine, but, like Chicoine, I know how the BOR's Title IX policy works.

Comment

I hate it when people become the thread police, but I'm more interested in how we stack up against other schools in the athletic report then this other stuff. For the record, I'm with Catrabbit(to a point).

Moving on.

Is this stuff getting reported in the Argus Leader? How about Keloland or KDLT? This type of stuff is great for the SDSU programs and for the university's public relations.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I keep thinking about those folks who have set up scholarships for golf, wrestling, baseball and so forth. What do you do with that scholarship income when the sport no longer exists? Do you go ask them if they want to apply it to a football scholarship? I dont think so. They have a vested interest in continuing that sport and they might just tell you no. Let the money accumlate and rot.

If we had budget problems, then thee catrabbit would have a point of discussion, but until then there is not much more to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I keep thinking about those folks who have set up scholarships for golf, wrestling, baseball and so forth. What do you do with that scholarship income when the sport no longer exists? Do you go ask them if they want to apply it to a football scholarship? I dont think so. They have a vested interest in continuing that sport and they might just tell you no. Let the money accumlate and rot.

If we had budget problems, then thee catrabbit would have a point of discussion, but until then there is not much more to say.
                    I have agreed with you on this point before Nidaros concerning the endowments. Some perhaps would be interested in switching. it would be an unknown. I don't have all the answers, mostly I'm posing questions. No, we don't necessarily have a budget problem, except for the fact it lacks competitiveness with our peers(not just the Summit either, but Mid-majors as well. If someone just ponies up for the stipends when they come along, I'll let the entire subject drop(probably). I think the stipend money is a true concern in the near future.

SDSUAlum08, TV has done pieces in the past on it. Kind of surprised no one has really ran with it, it's not earth shattering maybe they are running a story later this week after they've had time to talk to some folks, who know? Seems like something Stu would not want to run for some reason........with it casting State in a positive manner......

Comment

Working...
                    X