Athletic Report released from Regents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletic Report released from Regents

The December packet was released this morning including our annual athletic report for fiscal year 2011 that ended last summer:

http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda...cCommB/I_E.pdf

Just reading it now. For comparison purposes for the statistical nerds like me, here is the 2010 fiscal year report.

http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda...I-Grevised.pdf

Edit, could a moderator fix the thread title to add a "d" to release. I just realized I typed "release" instead of "released"

Re: Athletic Report release from Regents

I thought we hosted athletic camps? but it shows no revenue there.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      Are those coaches camps or athletic department camps?

Comment

Interesting....I find it funny that the people who said certain sports shouldn't be cut, because "we didn't really spend that much money on them anyway". Only to find out that wrestling, tennis, golf, and swimming all add up to roughly $1.2 million dollars. I guess if that's nothing to us, then keep 'em. To me that $1.2 mill would look awfully good applied to the other budgets and paying for the new stipends(I believe Sell said something like $400,000 a year would be needed).
        But that's me....as long as we continue to get 2nd, 3rd and 3th, with the occasional 1st, we'll win the commissioner's cup! wow....color me impressed.
        Where are they on the stipends right now? Has the Summit voted on it?

As far as camps go...I'm not sure if that is counted as revenue or goes to the coaches directly for running the camps or what kind of deal is worked out there.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Our gate revenue is over double that of the other 5 schools combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            Interesting....I find it funny that the people who said certain sports shouldn't be cut, because "we didn't really spend that much money on them anyway". Only to find out that wrestling, tennis, golf, and swimming all add up to roughly $1.2 million dollars. I guess if that's nothing to us, then keep 'em. To me that $1.2 mill would look awfully good applied to the other budgets and paying for the new stipends(I believe Sell said something like $400,000 a year would be needed).
            But that's me....as long as we continue to get 2nd, 3rd and 3th, with the occasional 1st, we'll win the commissioner's cup! wow....color me impressed.
            Where are they on the stipends right now? Has the Summit voted on it?

As far as camps go...I'm not sure if that is counted as revenue or goes to the coaches directly for running the camps or what kind of deal is worked out there.
            I do not agree dropping wrestling would be a wise move. You may not follow wrestling, but don't kid yourself, it's huge in the midwest. It's been hard getting traction, but this is a sport where SDSU can on a fairly consistent basis compete for individual national championships. With only 9.9 scholarships allowed, the big dogs (Iowa, Minnesota, etc) can't get all the talent. SDSU has a chance to pick up some very talented wrestlers. Winning or placing kids at the national tournament would be great for SDSU.

An argument could be made to drop golf based on our location. Hard to consistently be good at golf with the limited amount of outdoor practice time.

Having a high number of sports helps immensely in the Commioners Cup.

Comment

I like the comparability with USD. I guess its a coincidental that they are side by side alphabetical order. I noticed USD spent more on football than SDSU by a few thousand, but again we really made out like a bandit in concessions. Keep buying those 5 buck hot dogs and popcorn.

I notice USD is woefully low in that line item. I have not been to the Dome for a few years, but the last time there they ran out of hotdogs and apparently its a local vendor.

They might be wise to get Aramark involved plus local vendors comparable to Nicks if such an establishment exists in Vermillion. Let them sell at a premuim and let the athletic department take their cut. ie, Nicks costs 2 bucks apiece at CAS, and a buck six eight any day of the week in the down town location. So SDSU is making 32 cents for each Nicks burger sold at CAS. I assume it works that way with the other vendors too.

Interesting report, I must say.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                Interesting....I find it funny that the people who said certain sports shouldn't be cut, because "we didn't really spend that much money on them anyway"
                Wrestling: 24 participants
                Swim/Dive: 22 men, 28 women
                Tennis: 7 men, 9 women
                Golf: 9 men, 9 women

To simplify the math for you: SDSU spends 10.5% of its budget on 18.3% of its athletes.

So, no, SDSU doesn't spend that much on those sports.

Comment

No doubt SDSU leads the way in our fine state for fan attendance/revenue. I congratulate you on that however, looking at a single number on a balance sheet from one school and comparing it to another can and typically is faulty. I have a hard time believing that UNI which has attendance figures (yes they could possibly be inflated) that are larger in football, men's basketball (2x), women's volleyball (3x) can have gate receipts that are only 60% of SDSU. Again, SDSU is the leader and I don't question that I just have a hard time believing anyone's, not just SDSU, gate receipt numbers.
                  Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

I don't know about other sports or how things will be with new coaches but I believe in the past that baseball camps were run by the GA's as a way to make some money since they are not paid.
                    Originally posted by slosho View Post

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                      No doubt SDSU leads the way in our fine state for fan attendance/revenue. I congratulate you on that however, looking at a single number on a balance sheet from one school and comparing it to another can and typically is faulty. I have a hard time believing that UNI which has attendance figures (yes they could possibly be inflated) that are larger in football, men's basketball (2x), women's volleyball (3x) can have gate receipts that are only 60% of SDSU. Again, SDSU is the leader and I don't question that I just have a hard time believing anyone's, not just SDSU, gate receipt numbers.
                      Joey, just doing some math here, and maybe I am doing it wrong, but figure $15 a ticket that is a total head count of 65,000. 5 football games with 7000 tickets and 20 basketball games with 1500 tickets sold would get you there. Keep in mind our attendance is butts in the seats, not tickets sold. I think the season tickets are in that number.
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                        You're right that the report doesn't really provide much context for those numbers.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                          Keep in mind our attendance is butts in the seats, not tickets sold. I think the season tickets are in that number.
                          True for attendance, but not necessarily gate receipts (SDSU makes money on every ticket sold, not just the ones used...). Just sayin.

Comment

A big line item that jumps out at me is the NCAA/Conference fee. What is this fee for? MVFC/Summit conference fees?

SDSU paid just over $1M last year, USD paid $0. That's a big chunk of change not in the USD budget yet.

Comment

Originally posted by HadleyCoyote View Post
                              A big line item that jumps out at me is the NCAA/Conference fee. What is this fee for? MVFC/Summit conference fees?

SDSU paid just over $1M last year, USD paid $0. That's a big chunk of change not in the USD budget yet.
                              That wasn't a fee, that was income. Top half is income, bottom half is expenditures.

Comment

Working...
                              X