Fall 2011 Public Universitiy Enrollments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall 2011 Public Universitiy Enrollments

There is a press release on the BOR web site that the numbers will be released at 2 PM tomorrow.

I don't recall any chatter on the board this year about campus numbers.

Re: Fall 2011 Public Universitiy Enrollments

My guess: 13,193
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I will go with Elwood P Dowd's aka West River Jack's numbers and deduct 100 total of SDSU 13093

A very neat signature btw. I am trying to be pleasant.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 09-27-2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I don't remember last year but I guess 12955
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Comment

Put me down for 12,975.

Comment

When President Chicoine spoke at the event in California he hinted that we would be just shy of 13,000 but expected that SDSU would surpass 14,000 within 5 years. At least that is what I understood.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I wasn't expecting this. We are down 91 students to 12,725. USD is down 181 to 9970.
                http://tinyurl.com/3bgu6ar

I'm not worried about it being a trend though. The dorms are full and they need to build another one to increase the capacity of freshman on campus. Mix that with the programs eliminated due to budget cuts and you lose a few hundred students.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
                  I wasn't expecting this. We are down 91 students to 12,725. USD is down 181 to 9970.
                  http://tinyurl.com/3bgu6ar

I'm not worried about it being a trend though. The dorms are full and they need to build another one to increase the capacity of freshman on campus. Mix that with the programs eliminated due to budget cuts and you lose a few hundred students.
                  Guess my count was high. Didnt see us going down but not surprised.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/...t_8704037.html

Comment

Perhaps the chronic shortage of rooms in the dorms is finally hurting enrollment? Perhaps not. I didn't see the numbers yet but I do understand that FTE's are up.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Not really surprised that enrollment went down. I can't help but wonder what the total impact in terms of student numbers are a result of the programs that were cut. What % of the students enrolled in those programs transferred out vs enrolling in another program. How many transferred due to the cut backs/ threats of cutbacks in other departments.

I'm not necessarily being critical of the programs being cut, since it was obvious that something needed to be done. We will see both short term & long term ramifications of those decisions however, and total enrollment was impacted, but I don't know how much.

Comment

Took a look at the numbers. Overall the system headcount is down 0.92% FTEs is up 0.35%. This is essentially flat overall. SDSU head count is down 0.71% with FTEs down 0.87% again essentially flat. The suprise is BHSU headcount is down 6.5% with FTEs down only 3.29% which tells me they have lost part time students (non trads?). DSU mirrors that with headcoutn uop 0.03% and FTEs up 2.23%.

NSU bucks that trend with heacount up 8.62% and FTEs up only 5% (more people taking fewer credits). That may be due to distance education. Never did understand why USD didn't have a fit when that was moved north. Isn't USD supposed to be the flagship university in education? The BOR hasn't necessarily been kind to USD in the past decade.
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

How many years since we had a decline in headcount? 10+ years or more?

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              How many years since we had a decline in headcount? 10+ years or more?
                              The Brookings Register printed enrollments back to 2000 and all were gains over the previous years. I know there were down turns in the 1970's 1980's and I think in the 1990's, but were temporary declines. Going back to the good old days in 1959 I faintly recall the enrollment was maybe shy of 3500 and that was a decline from prior years. In 1964 my senior year, enrollment set a record of 4200, so the growth pattern has been very steady over the years. The 10 per cent budget cuts have had there impact no doubt, but I think its a temporary set back. The Parks and Rec Management major comes to mind in that it was eliminated completely. Where did all these people go?

Comment

Working...
                              X