Ploof Steps Down with Post 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ploof Steps Down with Post 22

Dave Ploof is stepping down as manager of Post 22 baseball after 47 years at the helm. He will stay on as director of baseball operations for 3 more years.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/pos...cc4c03286.html

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports

I only lived in Rapid City for 5 years, but spending summer nights watching the hardhats compete against the best in baseball were always highlights of our 5 year stay. My son, like so many boys, dreamed of playing for Post 22 as much as playing for a major league team. That legacy is as impressive as the 2,483 wins he tabulated. One national championship, several other appearances in the World Series and a plethora of state tournament championships are all very impressive. His teams averaged nearly 53 wins per season. It is rare for a legion team anywhere to win 53 games in a season, much less average that many wins over a 47 year career.

Hard'hats' off to Dave Ploof and his wife Patty as they get to enjoy a little bit more life of living in the paradise of the Black Hills!

Re: Ploof Steps Down with Post 22

He will be missed. Some people thinks he was too tough. No baggy pants, no long hair, no facial hair. I loved to watch his teams play with class win or lose. He could be my kids coach any day. South Dakota baseball Legend. Reggie C and Ritchie P told me that there was no baseball program in America like Post 22.

Comment

I have not read much about Dave Ploof until his retirement, but was aware of Post 22. Going D1 and having scholarship money has helped SDSU in baseball. I suspect Mark Ecklund was a former player, but had a hard time recruiting his own home town at the D2 level. I doubt Dave Ploof stood in the way, but he seems like the guy who would want the best for his players and if another D1 offered more money, well I would assume Ploof advised that kid to take that offer over D2 SDSU who often had little or nothing to offer.

Comment

Ploof is a great coach and you can't take anything away. But the whole system of Post 22 is setup in a way that will make them one heck of a program no matter who is at the helm. That however makes it more impressive (imo) that he has been there so long. When you have a setup like they do 1 or 2 down years means that they are looking at the next coach, and they never did with him.

Post 22 isn't your average program, most of the players sign contracts that they will not play high school ball (Though they have leaned a bit on this in recent years), you won't have a job, and you will make the 60-70 games a year they play. Many times you are required to pay a fee to play for them as well.

I know a handful of guys who played for Ploof and like all coaches I heard different stories. 1 of my friends had nothing but good things to say and the next one had nothing but bad things to say. I think overall he was a great coach in a great system. I hope that the new coach has a good relationship with SDSU and helps with the sending of future Jacks

Comment

Per the following article from Inside Dakota Sports (a great website covering sports in the Rapid City area) there is a real power struggle going on with Post 22 http://insidedakotasports.com/power-...st-22-baseball
          USD Fan

Comment

I grew up going to Post 22 games. The players were household names around town. Summer plans always began by checking to see if Post was in town. If so, all the elementary/junior high/high schoolers met at their designated spot and hung out...everyone! They always compete hard and made the town proud. That all goes back to Coach Ploof. My Uncle couldn't have spoken higher of the guy as a father figure. Some people rag on him about his tactics, but he wanted kids who were committed to the team. He did without some studs because of it, but managed to get the most out of the kids that came out.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
              Per the following article from Inside Dakota Sports (a great website covering sports in the Rapid City area) there is a real power struggle going on with Post 22 http://insidedakotasports.com/power-...st-22-baseball
              I played baseball this weekend with two guys from Rapid City and from what they told me it's a huge power struggle. They said Ploof was not leaving without a fight. We'll see who wins.

Comment

Sorry, but when I see the managment group for Post 22 baseball is called "Baseball Parents, Inc." I get the heebie-jeebies.... I guess I put up with too much crap from soccer moms and little league dads, I guess.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                  Sorry, but when I see the managment group for Post 22 baseball is called "Baseball Parents, Inc." I get the heebie-jeebies.... I guess I put up with too much crap from soccer moms and little league dads, I guess.
                  To win as many state titles as Post 22, you have to have more than the average athletic officer from the post who usually is overweight, loves his beer and war stories. It takes supportive parents but I do see much that does not look right. Its more than Joe Veteran the Athletic Officer can handle. The American Legion is a great organization and the National Baseball program began here in SD at Milbank I believe. If these parents who are grabbing the power are not veterans THEN they need to change their name and form their own tournament and competion. They arey most likely putting their son's career ahead of a great tradition that was built on veteran efforts and volunteer time.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                    I played baseball this weekend with two guys from Rapid City and from what they told me it's a huge power struggle. They said Ploof was not leaving without a fight. We'll see who wins.
                    Politics = it's the kids that lose. 320 and 22 sibling rivalry gone bad, means nothing good for RC baseball and everything good for the rest of the state of SD.

Years ago (1998?) Brookings hosted the State Legion tournament and I managed a hotel in Brookings that Post 22 stayed at. I have never seen grown men act as respectfully and professionally as that crew did that summer. Needless to say, it was a top down approach to the game (and life) that ran that program like a well oiled machine.

It is VERY unlikely that we will see someone with the record that Coach Ploof assembled in his years at the helm. It's sad to see an end to a very storied era, but sometimes people don't know when it's time to move on. (see Joe Pa - State College of Pennsylvania)

Comment

Working...
                    X