SDSU Fan gets jail for grope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Fan gets jail for grope

Terry Vandrovec picked up this story and mentioned it on his Twitter account (according to my source -- I don't do Twitter):

From the Lincoln JournalStar.com, posted 3/25/11:

A judge Friday sent a South Dakota State University fan to jail for 30 days for groping a woman outside a Lincoln bar after his team's loss last September.
    Matthew Everson, 24, who gave a Mitchell, S.D., address but is a graduate student at the University of Minnesota, is appealing the sentence and is out of jail on bond.
    A 22-year-old woman said...

STORY LINK

Re: SDSU Fan get jail for grope

Some forms of idiocy are in fact criminal.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re: SDSU Fan get jail for grope

Apparently wasn't the same Nebraskan who wanted my son's Jackrabbit T-Shirt so she took her's off and traded -- right there on the street.

Comment

Re: SDSU Fan gets jail for grope

I know Matt, he wrestled at the U of M. His brothers have gone to SDSU and so did his dad. He isnt a bad person, except like many, they arent so good when theyre drunk. The comment section of the article was interesting. Many didnt think he deserved jail time.

Comment

Not sure what his appeal is based on. One account indicated he pleaded no contest -- doesn't leave much to appeal. But, I do not know the actual facts.

Comment

I don't know the whole situation, but from reading the article, if everything like that was prosecuted a lot of people would be going to jail. Just think of some of the things yourself or your friends have done while drunk at the bar. Seems like one of those things where he did it to the wrong person. Not condoning it whatsoever but it happens a lot is prosecuted little.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Not sure what his appeal is based on. One account indicated he pleaded no contest -- doesn't leave much to appeal. But, I do not know the actual facts.
              sounds like maybe he had a deal with the prosecution but the judge didn't go along with it. just speculating

Comment

I know Matt and his family. Friends and I were with Matt a little earlier that evening and I talked to Matt as he was being questioned by police that night. Although what happened could be characterized as rude and boorish behavior on the part of Matt and by the definition of the statute or ordinance maybe a "third degree assault," actual jail time imposed by the Judge is silly and makes no sense. This, especially given Matt's impressive background and lack of a prior record. I also do not believe for a second that Matt is not remorseful.

Why this landed in the paper as a "SDSU Football Fan" story is questionable as well. Matt is/was a student at the University of Minnesota. He has never been a student at SDSU. As I recall he went to Lincoln that weekend and stayed with a friend who is a Nebraska student or alum and watched the game from a Nebraska fan or student section wearing a borrowed red shirt. He was there for the event, not to cheer on the Jackrabbits. I expect, however, that he favored the Jacks over the Huskers, just like most others not from Nebraska or without some tie to UNL.

I do not make excuses for Matt but based upon what I know firsthand, this got terribly blown out of proportion. I feel empathy for the young lady but I'm also sorry it all had to come to this.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU82 View Post
                  I know Matt and his family. Friends and I were with Matt a little earlier that evening and I talked to Matt as he was being questioned by police that night. Although what happened could be characterized as rude and boorish behavior on the part of Matt and by the definition of the statute or ordinance maybe a "third degree assault," actual jail time imposed by the Judge is silly and makes no sense. This, especially given Matt's impressive background and lack of a prior record. I also do not believe for a second that Matt is not remorseful.

Why this landed in the paper as a "SDSU Football Fan" story is questionable as well. Matt is/was a student at the University of Minnesota. He has never been a student at SDSU. As I recall he went to Lincoln that weekend and stayed with a friend who is a Nebraska student or alum and watched the game from a Nebraska fan or student section wearing a borrowed red shirt. He was there for the event, not to cheer on the Jackrabbits. I expect, however, that he favored the Jacks over the Huskers, just like most others not from Nebraska or without some tie to UNL.

I do not make excuses for Matt but based upon what I know firsthand, this got terribly blown out of proportion. I feel empathy for the young lady but I'm also sorry it all had to come to this.

Why couldn't they call him a San Diego State fan?! I feel as though we are owed this!!

Great info. Thanks.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

A judge Friday sent a South Dakota State University fan to jail for 30 days for groping a woman outside a Lincoln bar after his team's loss last September.
                    The first paragraph of this story kind of upsets me. It seems like the writer is offering up information that is secondary and totally unrelated to the crime. Can she confirm that he was there to cheer for SDSU? And why mention that "his team" lost. Why does the outcome of the came even matter. What a bitch.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      The first paragraph of this story kind of upsets me. It seems like the writer is offering up information that is secondary and totally unrelated to the crime. Can she confirm that he was there to cheer for SDSU? And why mention that "his team" lost. Why does the outcome of the came even matter. What a bitch.
                      The newspaper business is on hard times and so some, to get more readership, seem to be sensationalizing (is that a word) the news. Not dissimilar to what is seen on all national news TV. Factual reporting at times appears to be a secondary object. It is a sad and lamentable thing.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                      X