Willie Mac Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willie Mac Hoops

Just wanted to drop a note in case anyone on the board is a youth coach.
    The 2011 Sophomore Willie Mac Tournament is scheduled for March 26-27 in Brookings
    The 2011 4th-9th Grade Tournament will be held April 2-3 in Brookings

Visit our website at https://secureonlinegiving.com/event...sp?eventID=483
    for easy online registration and for more information.

PM me if you have any questions! Looks like it should be another great year for the tournament!
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Re: Willie Mac Hoops

Hey all! Its not to late to get your team registered!
    Spots are limited in the Sophomore division and registration is open until the end of the week. Cost is now $200/team.

We are also still accepting teams for 4th-9th Grade. Cost is currently $150 for teams and after Friday it jumps to $175.

PM me if you have any questions!

Comment

We had a great couple of tournaments the past couple of weekends. 38 Sophomore Teams with Madison beating Clark/Willow Lake for the top division for males and on the female side the Cyclones (an All-Star team winning from East Central SD). The Summit girls won Div II and Herreid Selby won girls Div III.

This past weekend we had 88 teams from all across the state, Minnesota,and Iowa. Great games! One note is that Madison won 4 different boys divisions. Tony Fiegen's younger brothers played on the 5th and 9th grade champions I think. There are some very impressive young players in the 4th grade class from Sioux Falls. I know they are young, but I have never seen players that age have such a handle on the basketball.

A special thanks to all of the players and coaches (from many different sports) who helped out by reffing, running concessions, and to Tony Fiegen for coordinationg the Boys & Girls Club gym. It was a great tournament!

Comment

I hope Tony was able to see his brothers play. That's pretty cool that he was willing to help run the tournament, but I'm also not surprised. He's a good egg.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Tony Fiegen did see his brother play in the 5th grade division and Chad White was officiating at the wellness center. My son was on the team that won the Consolation 4th grade division and is the point guard while only a 3rd grader. They ended the year at 38-8 while going 13-5 loses to 5th grade teams. Btw, we beat that Madison 5th grade team earlier in the year. The top three 4th grade teams would have beaten all the teams in the 5th grade.

Coach Nagy was also there watching the finals in the 5th grade and 4th grade divisions. The kids loved it seeing White, Fiegen and Nagy.

Good tournament but spread out we played at 10:20am, 3pm Saturday and 3pm Sunday. I guess it makes people stay and spend money in Brookings.
          Last edited by RabbitNation; 04-21-2011, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Does anybody know the name of the 4th grade team from Sioux Falls that won the boys division? It sounds like WestSideRabbit was impressed.

Comment

Sioux Falls Swarm

Comment

Is that the same team that RabbitNation is referring to in his post?

Comment

Yeah. He was a parent of one of their players I believe.

Comment

Yes we saw the Sioux Falls Swarm play several times throughout the season and would say we were equally impressed. They proved they can be beat on occasion but they look like the best team their age down there. It will be interesting to see them develop and if they stay together as they grow. Is the coach a hired coach for that program? Does anyone know?

Comment

It seems like there are a ton of good athletes in the younger grades coming up though the systems.. is it because we are talking about it more? or because the programs are getting stronger?

I know I have been keeping my eye on the Yankton girls BB players since they were 4-5th graders (this years 6th-7th grade classes) because they were that good then and have only gotten better in the two years since. (this grade grouping includes another Cornemann sister btw)

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                        It seems like there are a ton of good athletes in the younger grades coming up though the systems.. is it because we are talking about it more? or because the programs are getting stronger?

I know I have been keeping my eye on the Yankton girls BB players since they were 4-5th graders (this years 6th-7th grade classes) because they were that good then and have only gotten better in the two years since. (this grade grouping includes another Cornemann sister btw)
                        This is a good question. I think they are getting better or stronger as parents are investing more in the future of their children by sending them to camps and what not at much earlier age. Fifty years ago, there was the YMCA tourney in SF and that was it.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                          Yeah. He was a parent of one of their players I believe.

My son played for the SF Chargers. We won consolation championship, got upset in first round, it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseplayer View Post
                            Yes we saw the Sioux Falls Swarm play several times throughout the season and would say we were equally impressed. They proved they can be beat on occasion but they look like the best team their age down there. It will be interesting to see them develop and if they stay together as they grow. Is the coach a hired coach for that program? Does anyone know?

The SF Swarm 4th grade were an excellent team lead by Nate Brecht (Amy Michelson"s kid Brookings Great) and Noah Friedel (Pat Freidel's Kid). The are coached by Ray Monahan (who is not paid) Tom Burchill but really gets those kids to play.

The Sioux Falls Surge 4th grade were coached by Dave Bruhn (O'Gorman) and were lead by Cole Bruhn and Sam Muston and Luke Ronsick (mom is Mary Jane Wingen from Howard)

All the players on these two team are Catholic School kids. Most would say that they are travel teams but they all attend the Catholic school system in Sioux Falls.

The Sioux Falls Chargers 4th grade had a winning record aganist the Surge and Swarm on the season. This team was coached by Greg Schipper (Mr. Basketball 1986 Dakota Christian State Champs 86) and myself. They were lead by Mitchell Goodbary (Dad played at Oklahoma St) and Gavin Schipper and a 3rd grader named Noah. All Sioux Falls Christian kids! Big, tall Dutch kids who parents have all migrated from Northwest Iowa.

What all these players have in common is that they will all most likely be 6'5 or taller except for probably the Noah's. and Luke and they are great ball handlers

Where they learn: Tibbs basketball Academy working in groups or one on one sessions with former college players. Several in the Summer go to a private gym once a week for 8 weeks and work on nothing but footwork, ball handling, drbbling and passing. www.tibbsbasketball.com and http://best-basketball.com

These players in Sioux Falls practice twice a week and play 15 tournaments a year accounting for about 50 games. None of these teams play YMCA ball or any other league. The coaches talk all the time to see where everyone is going and love to play the top competition.

There are so many tounaments to play in from November to April and than 3 on 3 tournaments during the summer (where kids really learn how to play).

Most important the kids have fun and "talk little in defeat and less in victory!"

Comment

I am sure you mean Amy Mickelson and when did the ronsiek kid play for that Surge team, His mom is Mary BETH Wigen not Mary Jane I believe. A coaching friend of mine from years back has a kid on the Swarm I and in talking to him they are all public school kids except one. I dont know about the Surge and the other team. Ill ask him when I see him next.

Comment

Working...
                              X