Taking SDMines Private?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking SDMines Private?

At the end of the week in Pierre, House Republican Leader David Lust of Rapid City, said he was going to propose a bill during this session which would allow -- not force -- the School of Mines to go private.

STORY IN THE RAPID CITY JOURNAL.

Sounds like a non-starter to me but what do I know....
    Is Representative Lust just grabbing a little limelight (in recent times, Ron Volesky of Huron [SDSU MS Journalism '77] was pretty clever about throwing a wild idea out there to generate some discussion, and publicity)?

The head of the Board of Regents points out the notion may conflict with the State's Constitution: the State is required to provide training for mining engineers. Hey, there's an idea: maybe SDSU should say that it's ready to step up and add mining engineering if Mines goes private so that the Constitutional mandate is met. Of course, money that had been paid by the State to Mines would be redistributed...Mines would be on its own for support...and the added program would get its funding from funds that had been sent to Mines.

I have to assume Lust didn't just make this up in a vacuum...he had to have talked to someone from Mines and some Mines alums. I wonder what's behind this announcement? [Maybe the Mines alumni-affairs office has just dreamed up a nice, low-cost method for getting alums to kick in more money to preserve the school?]

Re: Taking SDMines Private?

With Homestake now Sanford Labs it would only make sense for it to be Sanford School of Mines and Technology.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
      With Homestake now Sanford Labs it would only make sense for it to be Sanford School of Mines and Technology.
      Ugh.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

To the youngins, ever heard of Huron College or Yankton College, both private from day one and had very noble orgins, and did a good job while the resources were available. When their resources were gone so was the institution. The same could happen at SDMines if a change to the constitution would permit a private takeover.

To take a public institution private is wishful thinking. Thank goodness our state constitution is written in the manner it is. Privatizing is a bad idea that seems to embraced by younger idealists who believe so strongly in the free hand of the market. I do believe in the market system, but it comes with imprefections, the invisible hand sometimes rewards the wrong people contrary to the values of hard work etc.

I think to privatize this institution is just crazy. Our state assisted system is working just fine and does not need messing around by privators who have greedy ends in mind.

Comment

For the size and populationof South Dakota we have way too many public univeristies and dupliation of majors offered.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            For the size and populationof South Dakota we have way too many public univeristies and dupliation of majors offered.
            Its about equal access to opportunity. We could use a few more institutions. We do need to review the entire system and make updates where needed. But is Aberdeen going to allow NSU to go by the wayside in order to save tax dollars? How about Madison and DSU? Or Spearfish and BHSU? I think you would have a big fight on your hands if you made substantial changes to any of their offering of majors.
            All offer majors in English and English lit. Does that qualify as duplication in your definition? Seems like each institution needs a major in this field, the language of the land so to speak.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              To the youngins, ever heard of Huron College or Yankton College, both private from day one and had very noble orgins, and did a good job while the resources were available. When their resources were gone so was the institution. The same could happen at SDMines if a change to the constitution would permit a private takeover.

To take a public institution private is wishful thinking. Thank goodness our state constitution is written in the manner it is. Privatizing is a bad idea that seems to embraced by younger idealists who believe so strongly in the free hand of the market. I do believe in the market system, but it comes with imprefections, the invisible hand sometimes rewards the wrong people contrary to the values of hard work etc.

I think to privatize this institution is just crazy. Our state assisted system is working just fine and does not need messing around by privators who have greedy ends in mind.
              So we don't pay for mines... and it disappears..? IMO no great loss.. other than the history, but as times change we must change to reflect the times. I am of the opinion that this state could lose 2 of the 6. combine BHSU and mines. and make DSU a satellite campus for SDSU...

I know others disagree.. and I can appreciate that, but at some point in time the economics will drive this discussion further. Or we could just raise taxes...

Comment

Back around the time I was in HS I heard about a plan that would combine Mines and BH into a single liberal arts school for the western part of SD. That plan included closing Southern and Dakota St (or attacing them to USD & SDSU). And I believe it took Northern back to Normal School roots or Jr. College status.

Perhaps there are current discussions resurecting some part of that plan. Privatization talk may be a response.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                  So we don't pay for mines... and it disappears..? IMO no great loss.. other than the history, but as times change we must change to reflect the times. I am of the opinion that this state could lose 2 of the 6. combine BHSU and mines. and make DSU a satellite campus for SDSU...

I know others disagree.. and I can appreciate that, but at some point in time the economics will drive this discussion further. Or we could just raise taxes...
                  My understanding that SDMines is not just about mining engineering. I believe it has branch out in other areas of engineering. Its an excellent school that should not be messed with. Some greedy investor sees this as an opportunity. I don't have a clue who that might be but someone is looking for ownership of a institution that belongs to all of us.

Comment

Working...
                  X