Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDHSAA Considering More Football Classes - 11AAA

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    And what is the general thought in ND regarding how many FB classes you have? Just right, too many or not enough?
    For football there are zero complaints, everyone seems to like it.

Comment

Read the article. I'm going to propose two possible solutions:

1. Everyone who signs up for football gets a state participation medal and AD's play a Yahtzee tournament to decide state champs. Don't actually play the season and save the $$$ for the school budgets.

Or

2. Build a better program so you can beat the big schools. It appears that O'Gorman would stay in 11AA, which doesn't seem to solve any problems because aren't they one of the traditional powers anyway?

I'll say this again, the school I coach at lost the state title game to a school with 1,500 more students in 9-12 this fall. You know what the coaches complained about...NOTHING. They got beat but thought they had a chance going in and weren't even concerned about the enrollment disparity. BUILD A BETTER PROGRAM from the early grades up if you want to compete.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post

1. Everyone who signs up for football gets a state participation medal and AD's play a Yahtzee tournament to decide state champs. Don't actually play the season and save the $$$ for the school budgets.

Or

2. Build a better program so you can beat the big schools. It appears that O'Gorman would stay in 11AA, which doesn't seem to solve any problems because aren't they one of the traditional powers anyway?

I'll say this again, the school I coach at lost the state title game to a school with 1,500 more students in 9-12 this fall. You know what the coaches complained about...NOTHING. They got beat but thought they had a chance going in and weren't even concerned about the enrollment disparity. BUILD A BETTER PROGRAM from the early grades up if you want to compete.
        or they could play bingo until everyone wins.

Comment

If this passes (which I hope it doesn't), O'Gorman has the ability to petition to play up a division.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            If this passes (which I hope it doesn't), O'Gorman has the ability to petition to play up a division.
            I saw that. Interesting that they can do that. If I was them I'd stay down and just keep racking up the titles.

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            or they could play bingo until everyone wins.
            Too funny.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I saw that. Interesting that they can do that. If I was them I'd stay down and just keep racking up the titles.
              I think there was a time where they could have played as an "A" school based on their enrollment for their other sports but they petitioned to play in the "AA" ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                I think there was a time where they could have played as an "A" school based on their enrollment for their other sports but they petitioned to play in the "AA" ranks.
                That is true. At one time in the early aughts they could have been in the same basketball district as Chester, since Chester had a bunch of open-enrollees. I often use that as an example of the wide disparity of our enrollment issues in South Dakota.

Comment

Talk all you want about building a better program, but schools like Roosevelt, OG, Washington, and Lincoln (and Brandon Valley to an extent) have so many resources available that building a consistent challenger in this day and age is not very realistic, IMO.

IMO Sioux Falls Schools will likely dominate the AA ranks for a long time. Will Brookings, Yankton, Watertown win a title every once in a while? Of course. But from what I've seen the last 10 years, Sioux Falls will take 4 out of every 5.

The fact that athletic directors and coaches are bringing this up is the biggest measure of validity. These are competitive people by nature, and would likely be the first to say "build a better program." The problem is that the smaller schools just don't have the student numbers, facilities, and off-season opportunities that the Sioux Falls schools have.

For the record, a Sioux Falls area school has won 13 of the last 15 class 11A championships. This year, all 4 semi-finalists were Sioux Falls area schools. But that's just because the other schools don't want to build a better program.

It would actually be funny if this reclassification happened and O'Gorman was forced to play in the smaller division. I could see them easily winning half or more of the state championships.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

The fact that athletic directors and coaches are bringing this up is the biggest measure of validity. These are competitive people by nature, and would likely be the first to say "build a better program." The problem is that the smaller schools just don't have the student numbers, facilities, and off-season opportunities that the Sioux Falls schools have.
                    I remember hearing some of this talk when I was in high school in the northern part of the state. Needless to say we beat the Sioux Falls area schools and won 3 straight state championships. So, it can be done. The key, a program established by dedicated coaches beginning at least at the 7th grade level and a commitment from the student athletes to that program. Oh yeah, it helps to have some talented kids and a bunch of them but that is not the key. Not in my opinion. Right now, Yankton has the program and coaches in place but I don't see any dedication from the kids. Too many opportunities elsewhere, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You don't have to attend a high school where the sports programs win state titles to get a good education.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      I remember hearing some of this talk when I was in high school in the northern part of the state. Needless to say we beat the Sioux Falls area schools and won 3 straight state championships. So, it can be done. The key, a program established by dedicated coaches beginning at least at the 7th grade level and a commitment from the student athletes to that program. Oh yeah, it helps to have some talented kids and a bunch of them but that is not the key. Not in my opinion. Right now, Yankton has the program and coaches in place but I don't see any dedication from the kids. Too many opportunities elsewhere, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You don't have to attend a high school where the sports programs win state titles to get a good education.
                      Agreed. Although I would point out that high school sports have changed quite a bit in the last 10 years, especially in Sioux Falls. The off season training regimens in Sioux Falls are difficult to duplicate in Yankton or Brookings.

The reality is that Sioux Falls schools hold distinct advantages over the smaller AA schools, just like the smaller AA schools hold distinct advantages over the A schools. That isn't going to change anytime soon. Can those advantages be overcome, of course. But it will take a special coach, a special group of kids, and a special season to do it.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Parity is something all sports leagues try to achieve, (even NASCAR) but no one ever manages to attain it. Some teams have advantages because of economics, geography, facilities, or tradition, and it will always be that way. .

Parity is like the G-spot, it doesn't exist, except in concept only. You will never find it!
                        Last edited by 2002jack; 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM. Reason: Fixed the poor grammar
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Is your use of the word "parody" intended to be a parody? Then your post is on parity with amusement. (Just having fun with your spell checker.)

Comment

People need to suck it up. When I was in high school running track and cross country my school of about 900 raced against Wayzata, Burnsville, Eden Prairie, etc. These schools are at least 3000 and are getting bigger. Size isn't everything and life isn't always "fair".

Comment

Originally posted by jacksdistance View Post
                              People need to suck it up. When I was in high school running track and cross country my school of about 900 raced against Wayzata, Burnsville, Eden Prairie, etc. These schools are at least 3000 and are getting bigger. Size isn't everything and life isn't always "fair".
                              Size of school matters a lot more for football than it does for cross country.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I think they should increase the enrollment for 11AA to 550+ (right now it's at 450+), this would put Huron, Douglas & Spearfish into 11A.

And than like most, I think 9-Man should move to 2 divisions instead of 3.

In general, I think more schools in South Dakota need to consolidate. There are way too many small schools that have tiny enrollments. Unless there are no other schools within 30 miles, public schools with enrollment of 50 or less should consolidate with another schools district. That would make for 35 schools in South Dakota.
                                http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Working...
                                X