Moving Day:  Major cold-feet attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Day:  Major cold-feet attack

Sorry, folks, I think I seriously jumped the gun on my announcement of the August 1 migration date to the new board.

After I spammed all of the boards here with the August 1 announcement, I had a major, major, major cold-feet attack. Actually, a good way to describe it would be a minor panic attack. No cold sweats or anything, but it definitely told me I really wasn't ready to pull the trigger on a migration from the old board to the new one.

Here's my problem: I'm not sure I like the "new forum" enough to actually pull the trigger. I've been in contact with the author of the new forum's software and he's willing to be hired to help out, at least to move userid's and posts from the old to the new. But I'm still not sure I want to go down that road.

When your subconscious screams loudly enough that you shouldn't do something, you probably shouldn't do it. So I'm going to put the migration on hold indefinitely whilst I think about it some more.

The good news is that I've got signoff from my CFO (i.e. my wife Snookums) to spend some money on the project, either to migrate the board and/or to lease commercial forum software (such as the software Tony migrated Bisonville to).

But right now, I'm kind of vapor-locked and not sure which way I should go.

The New Board will stay up and running--if nothing else as a backup board for the next time that the Old Board melts down under the load (and it will happen--count on it).

--filbert
Working...
X