According to Terry on Twitter.......

http://twitter.com/TerryVandrovec

Ryan Crawford.

Can't say I saw that one coming.

Wow.

Re: Starting QB

Also on Terry's Twitter...

"And Thomas O'Brien is No. 2 on the depth chart for SDSU."

I'd assume this means that Whittier will be red-shirting this year?

Comment

Interesting. I didn't see many (any) predictions with that as the outcome.

Comment

I can honestly say that I thought there was no way that Ryan would be the starting QB. I thought his injury would never have allowed him to be 100% by the opening game but I stand corrected.

I don't care who starts as long as we win.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I support any of the four, but with this decision it is obvious we are going to be a ball controlled running team with a dink-n-dunk passing game heavily relying on our defense to win games.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I know this will be VERY unpopular, but here goes... If nobody obviously stood out (and, by all accounts, nobody did), you have to go with a younger kid. Sorry. No, I am not a coach. I don't know as much as coaches. I haven't seen practices. None of that. I know nothing. I am not saying I do. It's just my philosophy...nothing more. I just don't agree with the "giving it to the senior because he's a senior" approach. And I can't get away from the fact that that's what happened. This should not be taken as a lack of support or anything. Just my two-bit opinion, nothing more. So shout me down, if you must. But understand that I already realize what I think makes no difference. And this board would be pretty quiet if dopes like me couldn't sound off on occasion. End transmission.
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
              I know this will be VERY unpopular, but here goes... If nobody obviously stood out (and, by all accounts, nobody did), you have to go with a younger kid. Sorry. No, I am not a coach. I don't know as much as coaches. I haven't seen practices. None of that. I know nothing. I am not saying I do. It's just my philosophy...nothing more. I just don't agree with the "giving it to the senior because he's a senior" approach. And I can't get away from the fact that that's what happened. This should not be taken as a lack of support or anything. Just my two-bit opinion, nothing more. So shout me down, if you must. But understand that I already realize what I think makes no difference. And this board would be pretty quiet if dopes like me couldn't sound off on occasion. End transmission.
              I totally understand where you are coming from...but on the other hand some may say that if nobody stood out go with the most experienced guy you have. I don't know which is right but I trust in the coaching staff.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Well Crawford has a huge advantage of knowing the offense better than any of the other three. In fact he has 4 years working in this offense and the other three have 1 year combined.

With O'Brien being the backup, I assume he will run the scout team and will gain valuable experience. I would rather be on the cautious side and allow the Freshmen to groom their way onto the field. Nothing worse than throwing someone to the dogs and having the moment be bigger than they are. You can ruin a kids confidence quickly and at this stage in their careers, that is something you don't want to do.

As a general rule, coaches don't like to play freshmen. They tend to make mistakes or at least make them more frequent than a senior would. The freshmen may be more talented, but their day will come.

Go State!!!
                Go Jacks!!!
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Stig's also a loyal guy who rewards people who pay their dues. I'm happy for Ryan Crawford. He worked really hard to come back from a really bad injury.

Regarding O'Brien. He's a RS Freshman. He'll have three years to prove himself, or if Ryan struggles he'll get his chance this year. In other words, plenty of opportunities for him. For Ryan it's now or never.

Anyway, this is Kyle Minett's year to carry the team. So we don't necessarily need a Ryan Berry-type year from the QB.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

did anyone see practice today? how does crawford's arm look these days are far as throw distance and precession?

Comment

My 2 cents:

Pros: Crawford has the familiarity with the offense and brings in senior leadership. Allows O'Brien & Whittier another year to develop. Crawford isn't a dynamic type passer but should be able to manage the game and put the brunt of the load on Minett and the defense. Was rushed alot vs. NDSU and took the sack each time instead of forcing a bad pass.

Cons: Crawford has always had a weird throwing motion where he kind of brings the ball behind his helmet. He recently admitted to not having the same amount of snap on this passes as before the injury. He didn't play particularly well against NDSU. Seemed like he only was able to complete 5 yard passes to Minett or was taking too long and getting sacked.

In the end I trust the coaching staffs decision. They wouldn't have named Crawford the starter unless he gave this team the best chance to win.

12 DAYS TIL GEORGIA SOUTHERN!!

Comment

now I will admit I have no clue and have never seen any of them play.... but if you are going to run a ball control, run the ball, short passes and so on, why not go with O'Brien and just have him slowly get into the system? Its just with Crawford you are basically cutting out half of the play book..... Does naming O'Brien the #2 send a point that Crawford will be given little to no leeway?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          if you are going to run a ball control, run the ball, short passes and so on, why not go with O'Brien and just have him slowly get into the system?
                          Because he's a senior and brings all those intangible factors that only experience gives you. The good thing for O'Brien is he'll get some extensive reps in mop-up duty. That'll pay off in the future.

I trust the coaches on this. They've developed some pretty darned good QBs over the years.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'm surprised by the selection, too, but I'm not going to criticize it. Four prior years of working with the Jacks' offense gives Crawford valuable experience. He may not have a bombs-away arm, but he can throw. If the competition was a dead heat, Crawford deserved the nod. The other three guys had an opportunity to stand out and take the job away from him but obviously couldn't do it.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

I don't know... Leadership only goes so far, you still need to be able to throw the ball down the field when the time calls..... I guess the one "problem" or "concern" I have is that Stig has always made it known he prefers the senior and I am worried that he passed on freshman that were better because he trust the senior more.... but until the game is played I can't say anything.... I hope Crawford runs with it and leads the team to the playoffs....

Comment

Working...
                              X