Gopher Football Game!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gopher Football Game!!!!!!!

I just heard on WNAX this morning that SDSU and Minnesota have agreed on a game in 2009. I think the anounced date was November 14, somebody please correct me if that is the wrong date.

Re: Gopher Football Game!!!!!!!

I heard the story a second time and the game is set for November 14 2009.

Comment

That is great news! 8-)

Go State!

Comment

Brad and Scottie talked aboput it on the Sportsshow also.

Comment

I would love to see us get into a 2 year rotation with the Huskers and the Gophers. They both would be great moneymaking ventures as travel costs would be limited.

Comment

I imagine we're getting a good payday out of this, and I hope we put a scare (or worse!) into the Gophs.

That date is towards (or at?) the end of the season. That's great, too -- I'd rather play a Big 10 school late rather than early--you know that it will be an awfully physical game. You'd rather get beat up in November than in early September. And, maybe some of those big farm boys in yellow and blue will do some beating up of their own. 8-)
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

No excuses, everyone plan ahead. Gophs should have a new stadium by then and we need to represent. Stig and his team of coaches can now tell recruits they will have a chance to play against MAJOR DI college players and show their stuff. Great news.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Nice to see the U of M really working with the 'SU's. With the short distance for both schools, this could be a gateway rivalry with an established DI. I also hope we play in Lincoln in the next 3-8 years.

As for the timing of the game, there are some negatives to the late date. For SDSU, correct me if I'm wrong, will be playoff eligible. If that is the case, injuries later in the season will have less time to heal.

Also, later in the year, more of our starters will have injuries and we have less scholarship backups that the Gopers do.

Small points in such a great game.

Comment

Novemeber 19th would put the game at the end of Minnesota's season, more than likely the last game. The only problem will be the fact that the week before they will get beaten by Iowa and be looking to make a name for a bowl game.
                  Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                  -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

My point was that you're more likely to get players dinged up playing a major conference I-A school than you are playing in I-AA. If you accept that premise, then you'd rather play a Big 10 team at the end of the season rather than at the beginning of the season, when it could cost you a game or two you'd otherwise win if you weren't nicked up by the I-A squad.

Plus it seems to me that there will just be more interest in the game later in the season than earlier, when it would be seen as a pre-season warmup for the Gophers.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba
                      Novemeber 19th would put the game at the end of Minnesota's season, more than likely the last game. The only problem will be the fact that the week before they will get beaten by Iowa and be looking to make a name for a bowl game.
                      Three seasons-plus is quite some time away to project how good any team will be. However, our game is scheduled for Nov. 14th, following home games against Michigan State and Illinois and a week before the season finale against Iowa. The Golden Gophs could easier overlook this game, especially if they continue to struggle in their annual fight for ol' Floyd of Rosedale.

http://www.gophersports.com/sportsNe...port_id=mfball

On another note, this game is solid evidence that SDSU will reach the 60ish scholarship level (two-year average of 57 is required to be a counter for a 1-A school) for football in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                        My point was that you're more likely to get players dinged up playing a major conference I-A school than you are playing in I-AA.  If you accept that premise, then you'd rather play a Big 10 team at the end of the season rather than at the beginning of the season, when it could cost you a game or two you'd otherwise win if you weren't nicked up by the I-A squad.

Plus it seems to me that there will just be more interest in the game later in the season than earlier, when it would be seen as a pre-season warmup for the Gophers.
                        I undertand what you are saying. I guess it would be better to have them healthy to at least make the playoffs, than be healthy in the playoffs. Anyway, it doesn't matter at this point the game is huge no matter when it is.

I agree that having it later will provide more exposure depending on the records of either team at that point. They definetly will have the tendency to look past this game.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                          [quote author=JimmieTuba link=1144848211/0#8 date=1144864188]Novemeber 19th would put the game at the end of Minnesota's season, more than likely the last game. The only problem will be the fact that the week before they will get beaten by Iowa and be looking to make a name for a bowl game.
                          Three seasons-plus is quite some time away to project how good any team will be. However, our game is scheduled for Nov. 14th, following home games against Michigan State and Illinois and a week before the season finale against Iowa. The Golden Gophs could easier overlook this game, especially if they continue to struggle in their annual fight for ol' Floyd of Rosedale.

http://www.gophersports.com/sportsNe...port_id=mfball

On another note, this game is solid evidence that SDSU will reach the 60ish scholarship level (two-year average of 57 is required to be a counter for a 1-A school) for football in the near future.
                          [/quote]

Eh I took a stab, and guessed it would be their last game. Don't get me wrong this is a HUGE game for the Jacks. Win or lose it will be great across the board. The Metrodome will be half filled with Rabbits following their team so it is a win for Minnesota too. Would be great to see the Pride get invited to join the team. That would be awesome.
                          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

So i'm assuming that Minnesota got there I-AA rotation set with NDSU in '07 Montana State in '08 and SDSU in '09, then I would look for NDSU again in '10 and so forth...

I hope that Minnesota gets their on campus stadium done for the '09 season, and I hope that the Pride gets to go!
                            Go State! Go State!

Comment

The Pride there in '09 would make it double worth the trip!

Comment

Working...
                              X