Testimony to the Jacks move to DI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testimony to the Jacks move to DI

Before SDSU announced the decision to move up to DI, I was a casual Jackrabbit fan at best. Living 300 miles away and with a busy schedule, I only thought about SDSU athletics each Saturday during the fall (and only until hunting season started) and then again on Friday and Saturday nights during the winter months (except for that period when NCC games were played during the week).

More significantly, I only cut 2 checks a year, 1 to the Dept of Microbiology and 1 to the SDSU Foundation (not large checks either). Now, I am proud member of the Jackrabbit Club and I find myself checking this website and many others several times a day!! Not a day goes by that I don't think about SDSU, the Jackrabbits, and the excitment surrounding the move to DI.

More concerning, I considered naming my second daughter A.J. and I now have a tatoo of a rabbit on one butt cheek and I am entertaining suggestions for the other.

I believe any press/news is good news and even though the majority may not support this move, the minority who do support it will continue to support it with all their available assets. There is a bright future for SDSU, the alumni, and the state of S.D.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Testimony to the Jacks move to DI

I concur with all of the above. While I have always had an interest in SDSU athletics my enthusiasm has gone to another level along with my contributions. The excitement of the transition to DI athleitc has even given me one more reason to consider moving back into South Dakota. I was the one who originally asked Tony on Bisonville if he could create a site specifically for SDSU and I'm appreciative to him for building it and seeing the number of Members grow and share their thoughts about SDSU. I only wish more would join and those who have and come around to see what has been written would contribute. If your taking the time to visit the site you must have an interest and we would love to hear your thoughts. I also wouldn't mind hearing from those SDSU supporters who are opposed
    to our move to DI and why so we can debate it as almost all on this site support it. I know there are some who care very much about SDSU and yet feel we shouldn't leave the NCC and we need to hear from you and in my opinion share why we feel you need to get on board.

Comment

Me three.  ;D  I always cared about Jackrabbit athletics, haven't missed a Hobo Day since I started going (to games) back in '78, but I have gone to a new level.  I am also a brand new member of the Jackrabbit club, I find myself listening to almost all of the games on the internet, instead of just looking for the score the next day.  For me the move to D-I has upped the excitemment levle and my personal commitment to SDSU.

Go State!

Comment

There has been so much negative press regarding the move to DI that it was refreshing to read the excitement and commitment of the three previous writers. Everyone should be a member of the Jackrabbit Club...at any level. For a successful move to DI, SDSU will need that kind of excitment and financial commitment. If you aren't a current Jackrabbit Club member, join today! The stainless steel mugs are great!

I would also like to hear from SDSU supporters who are opposed to the DI move and their reasons why.

Comment

Stainless steel mug?

I didn't get a stainless steel mug!

I want a stainless steel mug!!!!!
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
            Stainless steel mug?

I didn't get a stainless steel mug!

I want a stainless steel mug!!!!!
            Its very cool, you need to make a phone call.

Comment

I couldn't agree more with the attitude expressed here. It's a nice little pep rally. The problem is that it's in response to a dark time in this process. We have a serious road block ahead in that the main engineer in this process is hanging by a thread professionally, if not personally. The enthusiasm for this move has been generated primarily by one person. Anybody who thinks otherwise is absolutely not in-tune with how it came about. That's not to say -- and I stress this -- that the move can't go on without Fred Oien. All I'm saying is that it's absolute uninformed folly to think that he didn't bring it about. The challenge will be pushing it along without him. Is it realistic to think that Oien can continue to be the figurehead for this process? I think not. I also think the more efficiently the school begins to look for alternative ways to keep the trains running on time, the better. I've been a huge -- and kind of stupid, it turns out -- defender of a person who is going to have some severe challenges ahead. I wish the best for the ultimate end of Oien's situation, but it's idiotic to think his problems will not make the move to DI more difficult for the rest of the folks entrusted with bringing it about.

Comment

luvthoseJacks:

I disagree with you about most of what you said. Particulary the infrerence that  one person( Fred Oien) was driving the D1 efforts.

I was at the NDSU game last night and purchase seats in the NDSU reserve section.  Who do you suppose was the guest of NDSU President Chapman? These guests were there for both games and appeared to be enjoying conversation and the games.  Just who were these guests?  Well the guests were President Peggy Miller and the first man on campus Bob Miller.  So run Fred's character into the ground as much as you like, its not going to reverse anything that has been done so far.

Its amazing how people like to pile on when some one is down.  I dont condone the allegations against Fred, but by God he deserves his day in court.  Why is it necessary to tear a person apart, with his personal life when they can not do it in other ways.  The people who have opposed D1 can not give reasons to stay D2.

These people are ones who think they are the most loyal fans by simply buying a game ticket and complain about everything else that goes wrong during the game be rest rooms, concessions, officiating and other fans.

These are the people who threaten to withhold their Jackrabbit club Donations, when in reality they were to damn tight to give one dime to the Jackrabbit club in the first place. How can SDSU Foundation miss something they never had?  

These are the people who signed a D1 opposition petition, that was sponsored by the sister in law of USD women's basketball coach Chad Lavin. In case you for got her name, it was Lorna Jost. If Lorna had been a Federal employee, she would have been fired for lobbying activities.

Love those jacks and if you truely love the Jacks put your money where your mouth is.  I have many times and will continue to do so and dont knock the others who are loyal with their $$$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by luvthosejacks
                  I  couldn't agree more with the attitude expressed here. It's a nice little pep rally.  The problem is that it's in response to a dark time in this process. We have a serious road block ahead in that the main engineer in this process is hanging by a thread professionally, if not personally. The enthusiasm for this move has been generated primarily by one person. Anybody who thinks otherwise is absolutely not in-tune with how it came about. That's not to say -- and I stress this -- that the move can't go on without Fred Oien. All I'm saying is that it's absolute uninformed folly to think that he didn't bring it about. The challenge will be pushing it along without him. Is it realistic to think that Oien can continue to be the figurehead for this process? I think not. I also think the more efficiently the school begins to look for alternative ways to keep the trains running on time, the better. I've been a huge -- and kind of stupid, it turns out -- defender of a person who is going to have some severe challenges ahead. I wish the best for the ultimate end of Oien's situation, but it's idiotic to think his problems will not make the move to DI more difficult for the rest of the folks entrusted with bringing it about.
                  Luv,

I hate to do this but I am going to have to call you out.  Let me start by saying I encourage everyone to speak their minds on the board.  It makes this forum a more lively and diverse community when everyone does so.  However insulting other member's intelligence is bad form.  It is doubly so when you are a new to the community of posters and don't "know" the other members well.

My next bone of contention is your polluting of this thread with the only issue you seem to care about, or have ever posted about.  As you are very well aware (since you started it) there is a thread dedicated to Dr. Oien and the unfortunate personal incident that he and his family are going through.  What next, are you going to go to the "NDSU game in Fargo" thread and say that our wins last night and being in 1st place in the NCC is tainted because of Dr. Oien?  It is important to stay on topic.

I must say I did take offense to your line about this being a "nice little pep ralley".   I was able to pick up on your oh so subtle dig on your fellow posters.  You went on to state that it was "absolute uninformed folly" to believe that Dr. Oien didn't bring this move to D-I about.  In another post you yourself wrote "The DI movement will survive, but  let's not kid ourselves. it never would have come about without Fred and Dr. Miller!"  acknowledging the role that President Miller has played.  Call me "absolutely not-in-tune" but I believe that Dr. Miller has been the driving force to move our athletic programs up to the level of our academics, D-I, much to the chagrin of Coyote, Viking and Sioux Fans everywhere.  That being said the goal to have a truly first rate University in every way, is now an institutional goal and will be accomplished.

Let me end by saying once again I applaud and encorage people to speak their minds.  However please do so with class and in appropriate ways and places.

Go State!

Comment

The criticism of posting something about Oien in the wrong place is well-taken and it won't happen again.

As for saying things inappropriately, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Who did I attack inappropriately in my previous post? The harshest word I used was "stupid" and it was in reference to myself.

As for not mentioning Miller in the same sentence with Oien as I did earlier, I plead guilty as well, although I think it's nit-picking. My point was and is this: This new frontier that we're all looking forward to would never have come about without Oien's tireless campaigning. I think to this point Miller has smartly supported the move while Oien has done the serious leg-work -- as would be expected of two people in those respective positions. To this point, any president could pledge support, whereas Oien's leadership as athletic director has been distinctively ground-breaking on the D1 front. It is Oien's absence that would hurt the most at this juncture in the process.

Call me out any time you want, by the way. I had been reading this board a long time before I started contributing. During that time I've read lots and lots of irresponsible, not to mention implausible, criticisms of various people and institutions. I don't want to be part of that wing, regardless of the thread.

Comment

Hey, how about that D-I move that SDSU is making?

I know my interest has really been ignited by the D-I move, our National Champion women's BB team, and the fantastic season the men's BB team is having--ignited to the extent of upping my giving to the Jackrabbit club to four figures this year, and making the six-hour drive up to Brookings four times so far this year (last year I made it twice).

I've already taken off from work the week of the finals in Bakersfield, and plan to take another couple of days to go to the NCAA Regional in Brookings.  (We'll see what happens if by some mistake it goes somewhere else).

The Oien thing will work out, and it may or may not have serious repercussions.  But this big ol' thing ain't about Fred, it's about our alma mater (or at least the school we care the most about).

Go Rabbits!!!

Filbert
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thought I'd throw my two cents in here.

I'm a huge supporter of the DI move. I think the timing of it is right with the changing face of DII. I respect the NCC schools that are staying DII from the point that they are staying where they feel they are best served as we are making a move that we feel best serves us. I do think it will be a matter of time before the UND Fighting "Sue" make the move as well. Everyone knows DI hockey is their cash cow, but there's a lot of pride up in Grand Forks. The fans and alumni will only take so much of NDSU being at a different level before they make the move as well. As for USD, Augie, Mankato & St. Cloud, they are well suited for DII as they have wanted to cut scholarship limits to be more similar to the NSIC. Omaha, who knows what will happen there.

In response to some comments made earlier in this thread, I think I can shed a little more light on the DI transistion. Fred Oien has been a champion of our movement from the eye of the sports fan. But it is the university presidents who decide conference admittance, not the athletic directors. Pres. Miller has spent more time than most realize talking to and meeting with presidents of various conferences trying to gain admittance for SDSU's athletics. I don't know the nature of the formation of the new football conference, so I can't speak as to who (Fred or Peggy) has been the ring leader from SDSU's standpoint. Also, the transition affects the entire campus, not just the athletic department. President Miller is the leader of our campus and has had to answer to all of the faculty and staff at SDSU who have concerns over the change in NCAA affiliation. While I take no credit away from Fred for his role in the move, one cannot forget about the importance of President Miller. Without her support it wouldn't matter what direction Fred wanted to take, she made the call to pursue the move.

By the way, I hope we can get more people on here to spur on spirited discussion and to educate both sides as to the concerns and benefits of the move to DI.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll_Guy
                          Thought I'd throw my two cents in here.

By the way, I hope we can get more people on here to spur on spirited discussion and to educate both sides as to the concerns and benefits of the move to DI.

Go Jacks!
                          Excellent idea and the issue is not dead by any means.
                          Dont ask me what I am doing in North Dakota, but I heard on WDAY this morning that some of the North Dakota legislators are introducing legislation that would force the competition between NDSU-UND by law.

I thought there was just one Frank Klosucek and he lived at Scotland South Dakota. Something tells me Frank has friends in the North Dakota Legislature.

Comment

Working...
                          X