Pick Your Poison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick Your Poison

The problem: If the WIU men win when hosting USD March 2, SDSU and WIU will share the regular-season conference championship title. If USD gets the win at Macomb, SDSU has the title outright. I think this problem will be on the minds of many so we may as well start a thread -- in smack, of course, because this one is sure to go there.
    USD? We then have sole possession of the SL title.
    69.44%
    WIU? We then share the title with the 'Necks.
    30.56%

The poll is expired.

Re: Pick Your Poison

I would love the outright title but can't bring myself to cheer on the Yotes. Someone else will have to do that for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      The problem: If the WIU men win when hosting USD March 2, SDSU and WIU will share the regular-season conference championship title. If USD gets the win at Macomb, SDSU has the title outright. I think this problem will be on the minds of many so we may as well start a thread -- in smack, of course, because this one is sure to go there.
      I would most definitely lean to the leathernecks since they have a team with some character and they have earned a place in the sun. I am not a big sharer in the sense of co-champions, but the yotes do not have talent worthy of a victory over the leathernecks. I also have a leatherneck t-shirt to wear to the conference tourney to cheer a victory over the yotes there as well. If you get into the discourse about the preference of playing one vs. the other, I would remind you of the most current streak the Jacks have against either of the teams in question. A solo regular season crown should be one that is earned through victory rather than the defeat of an equal in the race. We could have defeated the yotes or bison or grizz to have the crown at this point. The #1 seed is the tiebreaker we earned.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Sounds like the perfect game for the first ever basketball tie.

(I haven't voted yet, because I can't make up my mind.)

*edit - And upon seeing my signature after posting just now, I have now decided USD needs to win. (And I should probably update my signature...good grief that is old.)
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Western Illinois won the very first AMCU/Mid-Con/Summit conference regular season championship, and then have endured 29 straight years of disappointment. (Well, OK, they won the conference tournament championship the next year, so call it 28 straight years.)

I won't grumble very much if they share a conference regular season championship with us newbies. Sure, it would be cool to have it outright, but I really do actually like WIU. And we all know how much I hate IPFW, in contrast.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Go Yotes.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

It's a tough one. Winning the conference regular-season title is a big deal and I know no one disputes that.

I think there is a great deal of good will running from Brookings to Macomb. We like the coach. We like the players. But, do we want to share?

But geez, we're talking about a conference title -- by ourselves!

For conspiracy buffs: will the Coyotes will play tough but throw the game at the end just to be spoilers for the Jacks?????

Well, so far I come down on the selfish side: I do not want to share the conference title. I want all the marbles. (added later: it's a somewhat close call for me because I don't dislike Western Illinois...I won't be disappointed if we have to share. And one more point to consider: think of all the missed T-shirt sales that will occur if we share the title. No one buys a "co-champs" T-shirt. )

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                It's a tough one. Winning the conference regular-season title is a big deal and I know no one disputes that.

I think there is a great deal of good will running from Brookings to Macomb. We like the coach. We like the players. But, do we want to share?

But geez, we're talking about a conference title -- by ourselves!

For conspiracy buffs: will the Coyotes will play tough but throw the game at the end just to be spoilers for the Jacks?????

Well, so far I come down on the selfish side: I do not want to share the conference title. I want all the marbles. (added later: it's a somewhat close call for me because I don't dislike Western Illinois...I won't be disappointed if we have to share. And one more point to consider: think of all the missed T-shirt sales that will occur if we share the title. No one buys a "co-champs" T-shirt. )
                Actually Coyotes might be better off losing on Saturday as they would then likely face the Necks again in opening round in Sioux Falls. Yotes match up better with the Necks (with Parks out) than the Bison (with Braun back)
                USD Fan

Comment

To be clear, I have no actual rooting interest one way or another. Either result is satisfying, from a certain point of view.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I choose WIU not to win.

Comment

Poll needs a "Whatever . . . bring on the Summit League Tournament!" voting choice.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Poll needs a "Whatever . . . bring on the Summit League Tournament!" voting choice.
                        Disagree. Waffling is for the weak.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          Disagree. Waffling is for the weak.
                          Oh. I don't know about that . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This is like choosing between getting a purple nurple on my left or right nipple.

I'm just going to close my eyes and accept that there's going to be some swelling.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              This is like choosing between getting a purple nurple on my left or right nipple.

I'm just going to close my eyes and accept that there's going to be some swelling.
                              It's only 6:30 am and I've already read the funniest thing I'm going to read all day! Reps.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                              X