Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centenary, at Shreveport

A Conference At LAST!

And, a conference where the team picked second-to-last in the league goes to Lubbock and beats Bobby Knight's team. That's the team that the Jackrabbits draw for their first ever Summit League game. Could it be a better beginning of the Summit League era for the Jackrabbits?

Centenary's media guide.
    Centenary season stats.

About Centenary:
    Their season so far (5-3)
    W 72-69 vs. Lipscomb (at Ames, IA)
    L 57-67 at Iowa State
    W 101-81 home vs. Texas College
    W 93-77 at SMU
    L 64-72 at UALR
    L 62-85 at Baylor
    W 105-90 home vs. Northwestern State
    W 70-66 home (kinda) vs. Texas Tech

Their starters vs. Texas Tech:
    G Tyrone Hamilton, 6'0" Jr.
    G Nick Stallings, 6'1" Jr.
    G Chase Adams, 5'10" So.
    F Anthony Gatlin, 6'8" Fr.
    F Lance Hill, 6'7" Jr.

From the bench:
    F Justin Glenn, 6'9" Fr.
    G Matt Cortez, 5'9" Fr.
    F Jerrald Bonham, 6'8" So.
    each played over 14 minutes. Additionally,

G/F Marcus Martin (6'7" Fr.) saw 4 minutes vs. the Red Raiders.

Stallings and Hamilton lead the Gents in scoring with 18.4 and 17.9 ppg each. Hill is averaging 11.0 ppg.

Stallings and Hamilton also lead the team in rebounds with 5 per game, followed by Bonham with 4.8 and Martin with 4.3 per game.

The Gents as a team average .457 from the field and .412 from 3-point range, and are shooting .758 from the fre throw line, and average 78 ppg while giving up 75.8 ppg. They're getting out-rebounded by their opponents 33.8-37.4 per game.

The Gents entered this season 56-11 in their home arena, the Gold Dome, a cozy little 3,000-seat facility built in 1970.

Gents games are broadcast in Shreveport on KSCL-FM 91.3.

I'll be in the Gold Dome on Thursday night. In the immortal words of John Belushi . . . who's with me???

Bring on the Gents!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Centenary, at Shreveport

ESPN Story on the Gents win over Texas Tech yesterday (12/1/07). Note, Coach Knight brought his team to Shreveport to play Centenary...a point he made to taunting fans as he left the arena in the first half due to illness.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273352113

Comment

looks like we match up pretty well size wise against them.... should be a good game

Comment

Centenary is (one of) the smallest D1 schools with an enrollment of 910ish is it not?

How does that work?

Anyway, should be a good game, I hope we continue our lights out shooting from the UWGB game, and hopefully get a few (dozen) more boards.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Yeah, 910 students. Hard to imagine a school that small (many of the posters on this board went to high schools much larger). Looking through the Centenary Media Guide (filbert provided the link), reminded me the NBA's Robert Parish was a Gent. They have a good basketball tradition and the media guide is fun to page through.

Comment

First episode of The Scott Nagy Show will be posted sometime today.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by rodrawks View Post
              Centenary is (one of) the smallest D1 schools with an enrollment of 910ish is it not?

How does that work?

Anyway, should be a good game, I hope we continue our lights out shooting from the UWGB game, and hopefully get a few (dozen) more boards.
              How does that work?
              Thats a great question that has often crossed MY mind, but I suspect they dont spend money they don't have for things they can not afford. The tuition no doubt covers faculty, but I would guess you would not find any bloated staff's at Centenary. What I noticed about their athlete website that they offer no more than the minimum required of D1 members. Also the deal with the large complex in Shreveport for basketball draws good crowds no doubt and that must cash flow positively for them. It would be fun to audit this university as you probably find a very fiscal and responsible budget in place with a number of good controls.
              Quite a contrast to what is going on at ORU in terms of finances.

The bean counter in me tells me that.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 12-04-2007, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                A Conference At LAST!

Their starters vs. Texas Tech:
                G Tyrone Hamilton, 6'0" Jr.
                G Nick Stallings, 6'1" Jr.
                G Chase Adams, 5'10" So.
                F Anthony Gatlin, 6'8" Fr.
                F Lance Hill, 6'7" Jr.

From the bench:
                F Justin Glenn, 6'9" Fr.
                G Matt Cortez, 5'9" Fr.
                F Jerrald Bonham, 6'8" So.

No seniors on the squad and they have already beat The Red Raiders, so it looks like The Gents may be the team to beat next year in the Summitt league

Comment

Welcome to the board astat!!
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

No blog from "el bloggo" for the mens or womens games at Centenary.

http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sports/category/sdsu/

/cry
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Thought this would be the best place to post this:

From Terry at the Argus:

SDSU men get started on Summit experience
                      Jacks play Centenary in conference opener

By Terry Vandrovec
                      tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                      Comment Print Email PUBLISHED: December 6, 2007

BROOKINGS - Ben Beran knows what it's like.

He remembers the competitiveness that is bred through shared affiliation. He remembers the challenges - and the benefits - that come along with facing the same players, the same schemes, the same officials. He remembers the rhythm that's created by playing on the same nights of the week in the same cities and staying in the same hotels.

The fifth-year forward appeared in South Dakota State's last game as a member of the North Central Conference in 2004 - the only active player that can say that - and tonight he'll be a part of the first Summit League contest in program history.

Those were 44 long months of conference homelessness. Independent ball just wasn't the same.

"It's a battle, but I think it's better because you know what's coming," Beran said of conference play. In three seasons as an NCAA Division I Independent, "there wasn't much consistency in who we were playing. It was just games and games and games."

(read more)
                      And an injury update that is included in the print version of the Argus but I can't find a link online. This is from Terry as well:

SDSU INJURY UPDATE

The SDSU men lost two players this week, while the women could regain two. Jacks men’s coach Scott Nagy said scholarship freshman Josh Cassaday and walk-on Payton Tivis are likely out for the season with knee injuries. The 6-foot-6 Cassaday played in three games, while Tivis didn’t appear in any. Both are candidates for medical hard*ships, meaning they shouldn’t lose a season of eligibility.

Meanwhile, SDSU women’s coach Aaron Johnston said junior forward Jenn Warkenthien – the team’s top returning scorer and rebounder – and sophomore center Laura Nielsen have been practic*ing and might play this weekend. Both have been out since the preseason with foot injuries. Also, Johnston said that junior forward Stacie Oistad and sopho*more Ketty Cornemann – the team’s top two scorers this season – are not likely to return until after the new year because of foot injuries.

– Terry Vandrovec

Comment

I'm thinking of giving the Summit TV a chance tonight. I have this funny feeling that my chances of being disappointed are in the 90th percentile range.

Considering Terry can't even blog from The Gent's gym, I can't for the life of me figure how they are going to get a video-cast out of there.

I guess we'll see!

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

WHAT time is the game on local Brookings time ?

Comment

GoJacks has the game listed at 7pm
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Should be able to get lives stats here:

http://www.nmnathletics.com/liveStat...RIBER_CONTENT=

Comment

Working...
                              X