Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU on TV

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/61128028
    South Dakota State associate athletic director Rob Peterson said Tuesday that the school is negotiating with Young Broadcasting Inc. and KELO to put as many as 25 Jackrabbit games – five football and 10 each in men’s and women’s basketball – on live television in 2007-08.

“It may indeed happen,” Peterson said. “I’ve got an agreement on my desk I’ve been going through, a legal contract, the same one we had last year. Issues need to be resolved first before we sign off on it. Every indication I’ve gotten so far is the market will bear this out.”

Gwen Kinsey, the president and general manager of KELO, confirmed that her station has been talking about a partnership with SDSU for some time, and said she
    wasn’t prepared to comment further.

According to Peterson, the parties attempted to put together an agreement last year, but a late start made the package a difficult sell to potential sponsors, who generally budget advertising dollars annually.

Re: SDSU on TV

Wow, this is great news. A true D1 move for the Jacks. Hope it gets signed now....

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

I'm surprised that it's KELO we're dealing with; I thought they were in love with USD and they didn't sponsor us last year (but, I don't think KDLT and KSFY are sponsoring us anymore-likely due to the KELO negotiations).

That said, KELO is the most popular TV station in SD and would be the best fit for showing SDSU athletic events. I'm also glad that their is a serious push to get women's basketball games televised since they tend to take a back seat to football and men's basketball.

I hope that this works out.......

Comment

I assume KELO will make its decision based on business and the bottom line.  But, if connections makes a difference, keep in mind KELO is owned by Young Broadcasting, Inc., a publicly-traded media company.  The President of the company is Deb (Kneip) McDermott, a Brookings native and 1976 SDSU journalism grad (Deb was also a Jackrabbit cheerleader).  Deb is a sharp businesswoman and if there's a way this can work, it doesn't hurt to have Deb's connections with SDSU.  I hope KELO and its parent company are willing to think creatively because this is a new idea around these parts...but I think it will work just like the move to D-1 generally is going quite well.  KELO covers most of SD and there are SDSU grads who cannot get to games but would love to reconnect with their alma mater.  I think this would be a particularly great idea for west river and the Rapid City area.  I've talked to buddies in Rapid City who would love to see SDSU in sporting events but it just doesn't work out for them.

Think of what this could do for strengthening recruiting for all students in Rapid City, Spearfish, Custer and the rest of the west side of the State.

Comment

This is good for us west river folks. KELO is the only one of the three that we get (no KDLT or KSFY). It will sure help spread the gospel of Jackrabbits around here!

Comment

My thought is that this would almost have to be a slam dunk if the athletic department released anything about it. They have been notoriously tight lipped about things, usually not letting out until they absolutely have to. This is great for SDSU.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
                My thought is that this would almost have to be a slam dunk if the athletic department released anything about it.  They have been notoriously tight lipped about things, usually not letting out until they absolutely have to.  This is great for SDSU.
                I think you're right, EQguy. The athletic dept has been very tight lipped and I think it's served them well. I've been impressed throughout the whole move to D-1 effort from the planning to the execution. We've seen some examples (Dr. Oien and Pres. Miller and those working with them) of excellent leadership...having a vision and the guts to stick with it through a lot of adversity and mean-spirited opposition. Keeping tight lips until things are ready to be formally announced has been a big part of that success (and gives the critics little to pick on).

Comment

This is great news and hope the contracts get signed. I was hoping with membership into the Midcon we would start to see some games televised.  

I am suprised by the number of games that might be televised.  Some might think this would hurt attendance, but as long as we can put quality teams on the floor/field this should only help to increase attendance in future years.  This is a great chance to show people that would not normally attend a game to experience what Frost and CAS have to offer.  As RLIV stated this gives our fans in the western part of the state an opportunity to see SDSU play other than one or two trips to Brookings each year.  This will also give people who can't attend in person do to health/medical issues a chance to watch SDSU.

Comment

This would be a large step forward for the program, and a huge step in increasing the casual fan base......
                    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack
                      This is great news and hope the contracts get signed. I was hoping with membership into the Midcon we would start to see some games televised.

I am suprised by the number of games that might be televised. Some might think this would hurt attendance, but as long as we can put quality teams on the floor/field this should only help to increase attendance in future years. This is a great chance to show people that would not normally attend a game to experience what Frost and CAS have to offer. As RLIV stated this gives our fans in the western part of the state an opportunity to see SDSU play other than one or two trips to Brookings each year. This will also give people who can't attend in person do to health/medical issues a chance to watch SDSU.
                      This change is probably made possible by a couple of things: Mid-Con membership (take a look at the locations of those schools... many in major metro areas where local broadcasters may already televise games) and the likely Gateway membership (again, more televised games in the Gateway). It looks like we're talking primarily about away games here, meaning KELO would not have to foot the bill for production, which is very expensive. I'm guessing that in most cases, they'd just have to arrange to pick up the feeds from somebody else, sell the ads, and clear the airtime.

One of the things that impresses me about our Athletic Department leadership, is that they have such high standards for the department's performance. Nothing is done halfway. If this doesn't make fiscal sense, they won't do it. If it does, they'll do it right. This is really a potentially great tool for SDSU. You boost interest in the program by televising away games, possibly make some money, and get more people interested in attending home games.

Comment

That good news fingers crossed

Comment

From the article:
                          "Among the details that would have to be worked out include revenue sharing – in the event that the broadcasts generate a profit – and making sure the agreement is in line with existing television contracts involving the Mid-Continent Conference and the Great West Football Conference, of which SDSU will be a member in 2007-08."

If I'm reading it right this will cost SDSU nothing and could actually generate revenue for the school, not to mention the great exposure it will cause.

Comment

Two words about this deal if it comes through: Awe. Some.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

If this comes true, I guess I'll finally have to invest in that Slingbox I've been looking at . . . unless the deal includes Internet streaming.

Hey, Athletic Department! Make Internet access to video streaming part of the season ticket package! (Sell season tickets! Sell season tickets!!!)
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X