X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Sky

Originally posted by usdfbalum View Post
    Believe it.

USD MVFC in 2012. USD has some capacity constraints currently, but what is your prediction on attendance for the first game if at CAS?
    I imagine it depends on the time of year and how the teams are doing in 2012 but chances are the record set against NDSU a few years ago could be in jeapordy.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
      I know something you don't and can't say here... but... keep your eye out on the P&D's website for breaking news tonight... www.yankton.net
      Fantastic...I'm glad I checked back in so that I now know that the incumbents won their races in the County elections near Yankton and that the new Lt. Governor addressed a Republican crowd.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I think the big problem wit getting over that number would be logistics, I watched that game and it looked packed. and that was without the dykehouse center

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          I think the big problem wit getting over that number would be logistics, I watched that game and it looked packed. and that was without the dykehouse center
          Good point, it may not be broken till about 2015 when we open the new stadium

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            I was at that SDSU / NDSU game too. I do not remember - how many people were seated and or standing where your facility is now located?

I would anticipate USD bringing at least 8-10 k to Brookings if I were to guess. Add in 15-17 SDSU fans - no way the stadium would handle it.

Think you could charge 30-50 per to that game and still break the record.

Comment

Ok, we can't run with it, because even though our first source is VERY good... we wanted a second to confirm and no one is taking calls. Sorry about the tease...not that you don't know what is coming...

Comment

Argus is saying that USD is joining the MVFC and staying in the Summit.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                  Argus is saying that USD is joining the MVFC and staying in the Summit.
                  I'll give full marks to USD . . . they played this one about as well as could possibly be imagined if the reports are accurate and they wind up in SL/MVFC alongside SDSU.

Well managed, USD!
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here is a summary of the events of the past few days put together from a combination of sources without being personally on the inside. I posted essentially the same on USD's board. All things considered, USD's administration deserves a pat on the back for doing some due diligence and carefully considering what was best for USD.

By Monday, USD joining the Big Sky was a done deal. USD was planning a press conference for Thursday or Friday of this week. The paperwork hadn’t been signed but it was in Pres. Abbot’s office, ready to be signed.

There were still a couple of nagging issues. First was whether Montana and Montana State would stay in the Big Sky. That seemed to be put to bed last week when Big Sky Commissioner Fullerton basically told everyone that Montana and Montana State were staying. Turns out that was an overstatement. We know now that Fullerton was interviewed early this week and he said his statements were more "hopeful" than factual. Source: go to Terry Vandrovec's twitter page and see his link to the interview. Fullerton was back-tracking.

By Tuesday, the MVFC coaches went to bat for inclusion of USD...the MVFC Athletic Directors joined in.

By today, the MVFC Presidents agreed and the offer was made to USD to join the MVFC starting with the 2012 season. Also today USD's administration had information from Montana which indicated Montana staying in the Big Sky was not set in stone. So that uncertainty that Fullerton tried to spin away last week, remained.

I think it's accepted as fact that travel costs for USD will be less in a Summit / MVFC combination compared to the Big Sky. Throw into the mix the time zone issues etc. and I think the decision became an easy one: by late today the MVFC offer was accepted.

Perhaps more detail will be provided at tomorrow's press conference. I think this is a great decision by USD and obviously the coaches, athletic directors and Presidents of the MVFC institutions think it is good for the conference members.

Comment

I was at that SDSU / NDSU game too. I do not remember - how many people were seated and or standing where your facility is now located?

I would anticipate USD bringing at least 8-10 k to Brookings if I were to guess. Add in 15-17 SDSU fans - no way the stadium would handle it.

Think you could charge 30-50 per to that game and still break the record.
                      I disagree with USD bringing 8-10 K. I just don't see them bringing that many. Or even having access to that many tickets, they'd get their allotted package but if SDSU can get 12,000+ most games I don't see them getting any more

The way I'd look at it is 6K plus student body would be a good guess.
                      another 8K alum
                      then throw in the locals who show up because they have nothing else to do, and you are already at 15+ before you mention what USD is bringing.

And my numbers are very conservative. The problem I see is when they play at USD, I've been to USD games and the student section is full for the first 20-30 minutes then it exits like a fire alarm has went off. Don't know if it would happen, but I did see it at the UND game a few years ago. Just wondering what alum of both universities would think if they saw an empty student section and weren't allowed to get tickets to the game

I don't know about charging 30-50 and breaking the record but what do I know.

As far as USD making the move, I think that NDSU, SDSU, UNI and SIU all having problems filling the last date on their schedule this year may be a reason they thought expansion was needed.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        Here is a summary of the events of the past few days put together from a combination of sources without being personally on the inside. I posted essentially the same on USD's board. All things considered, USD's administration deserves a pat on the back for doing some due diligence and carefully considering what was best for USD.

By Monday, USD joining the Big Sky was a done deal. USD was planning a press conference for Thursday or Friday of this week. The paperwork hadn’t been signed but it was in Pres. Abbot’s office, ready to be signed.

There were still a couple of nagging issues. First was whether Montana and Montana State would stay in the Big Sky. That seemed to be put to bed last week when Big Sky Commissioner Fullerton basically told everyone that Montana and Montana State were staying. Turns out that was an overstatement. We know now that Fullerton was interviewed early this week and he said his statements were more "hopeful" than factual. Source: go to Terry Vandrovec's twitter page and see his link to the interview. Fullerton was back-tracking.

By Tuesday, the MVFC coaches went to bat for inclusion of USD...the MVFC Athletic Directors joined in.

By today, the MVFC Presidents agreed and the offer was made to USD to join the MVFC starting with the 2012 season. Also today USD's administration had information from Montana which indicated Montana staying in the Big Sky was not set in stone. So that uncertainty that Fullerton tried to spin away last week, remained.

I think it's accepted as fact that travel costs for USD will be less in a Summit / MVFC combination compared to the Big Sky. Throw into the mix the time zone issues etc. and I think the decision became an easy one: by late today the MVFC offer was accepted.

Perhaps more detail will be provided at tomorrow's press conference. I think this is a great decision by USD and obviously the coaches, athletic directors and Presidents of the MVFC institutions think it is good for the conference members.
                        Excellent analysis. A Coyote poster on their board said something to the effect that an SDSU larger donor had acted as a tail that wagged the dog on this whole issue. If true, it goes to show we do care about USD. The travel costs would have been a budget buster. I listened to AD Sayler a week ago on KWSN and he was rather indifferent to the challanges of increased costs for travel, but given the circumstances a week ago, it might have been the best spin he could put on the BSC option. He was being interviewed by the SF Media who sounded rather hostile to the BSC option. USD has a very good AD IMO.

Mark Farley's comments yesterday at the MVFC teleconfernce should have given us a clue. Per TV, he made a pitch for USD to be in the MVFC.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                          Meh this is a conspiracy concocted between USD and the Big Sky to move the Summit and MVFC to speed up and let the U into the MVFC conference. The Big Sky really doesn't want USD and USD really doesn't want to go into the Big Sky. But pressure by way of saying they have a contract in hand is being used to force the hand of the MV.
                          Jesse Ventura has been working on this story since the beginning and will soon have the complete, unedited story ready to broadcast on a cable channel that most people don't get unless you have the Premium Package.

Did Jesse Ventura call it or what

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Excellent analysis. A Coyote poster on their board said something to the effect that an SDSU larger donor had acted as a tail that wagged the dog on this whole issue. If true, it goes to show we do care about USD. The travel costs would have been a budget buster. I listened to AD Sayler a week ago on KWSN and he was rather indifferent to the challanges of increased costs for travel, but given the circumstances a week ago, it might have been the best spin he could put on the BSC option. He was being interviewed by the SF Media who sounded rather hostile to the BSC option. USD has a very good AD IMO.

Mark Farley's comments yesterday at the MVFC teleconfernce should have given us a clue. Per TV, he made a pitch for USD to be in the MVFC.
                            Sayler has been a very solid hire at AD. I think we are dealing with a very shrewd guy that has found a way to give USD the best opportunity possible. Look forward to watching USD grow as a program in the MVFC. Hope our fans can kick it up several notches with this announcement. The team is way ahead of the support IMO.

The time away from the SDSU/USD game was healthy - think we are all adult enough to handle it now? Hope so. If this game is handled correctly it could be one of the best intra-state games at the FCS. (Not to mention a real moment of pride for the Universities and the State. Handled poorly though and people will be turned off.

I will be at the UND/SDSU game scouting out the scene now for sure.

Comment

In the words of Chevy Chase..."I wouldn't have been more suprised if I had woke up this morning with my head sewn to the carpet".

Comment

Believe it.

USD MVFC in 2012. USD has some capacity constraints currently, but what is your prediction on attendance for the first game if at CAS?
                                First game could just as easily be in Vermillion as Brookings and that will be one tough ticket.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X