Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FearEd no more

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    What I don't understand about these types of slogans (outside of their gimmicky nature) is that they're risky. If the yotes come up to Brookings on 11/17 and get it handed to them, how silly will they look to all the casual fans in the state? It's the type of cocky statement that has to be backed up, or it'll backfire. I get that their "mission" with this slogan is broader than beating SDSU, but it's clearly focused on being the premier home state team, which means athletic superiority over the Jacks. And if they don't do that, what's next? Back to the drawing board, and another new campaign in 4 years? Slogans are dumb to begin with, but they're extra foolish when they are hitched to on the field outcomes. If they come up here and win in November, I guess it'll pay off when they can say "See! We ARE South Dakota (for the first time in 18 years). It just seems desperate and likely to backfire, just like the 605 campaign, the FearEd campaign, the Joe Glenn campaign, and whatever else they've concocted in marketing 101 down there. Obviously, all of the campaigns aren't working too well when their ticket sales have remained stagnant.

We are...the best in the Dakota's
    Good points.
    Don’t forget the “We are South Dakota’s team” slogan the USD athletic dept. had right at the tail end of their DII era. I thought they should have been sued for some sort of public fraud but, of course, that couldn’t be done: there were no damages caused to anyone. People just shook their heads and chuckled.

Enough of this nonsense. Back to thinking about kicking Bison butts.

Comment

This is really no big deal. Just like the series of cartoons that we all remember, know, and love, the coyote will keep trying all sorts of different things, but it never really affects the rabbit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc0oainzuaI
      Last edited by West-River_Jack; 07-22-2018, 09:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Good points.
        Don’t forget the “We are South Dakota’s team” slogan the USD athletic dept. had right at the tail end of their DII era. I thought they should have been sued for some sort of public fraud but, of course, that couldn’t be done: there were no damages caused to anyone. People just shook their heads and chuckled.

Enough of this nonsense. Back to thinking about kicking Bison butts.
        And the billboard that USD put up outside Brookings that was for a football game in Brookings.

Comment

The Derp is strong in Vermintown.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            On a serious note: a couple weeks ago I spent a week in Vermillion at the law school as an instructor in a course for lawyers. I made a point of driving around — lots of changes going on. Vermillion looks much better than it did a few years ago. Most notable is the available housing for students has dramatically improved with more apartments under construction.
            When I lived in Columbus Nebraska (1985-2005) and frequently drove to Brookings to take in SDSU events, I seldom drove through Vermillion, and often stopped at the coffee cup and left several dollars in the video poker machines, but since that time, I did make a trip to Vermillion one day. I dont recall exactly when, but I too was impressed with the campus building projects in progress To top the day off we drove a few miles west and had some Toby's chicken in Meckling. I suspect the projects down there have only increased since my trip. I had a brother who attended USD in 1951 who was in Prelaw and lasted one year mostly because he was in the wrong field and later transferred to SDSU. My brother used to complain about how small Vermillion was compared to Brookings. I personally have had a secret affection for USD since they had the only accounting major in SD when I was in the normal undergraduate age. I would loved to went to USD for accounting but that's a long story. Over the years their presidential leadership has never matched that at SDSU, and that is why they are playing catch up with SDSU. Jim Abbott leadership has been a good thing for USD. Look out if they add another progressive leader like Abbott.

Comment

Damn, it's sad to see USD catch the "Hey, we're the flagship, we're relevant!" virus. UND started doing that three or four years back. It was hilarious watching the term pop up again and again in every press release, news article, and interview. It's become a beloved inside joke for us NDSU fans, and now you guys get to have the same fun. To USD & UND: If you have to constantly remind people you're the flagship, you're not.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                Damn, it's sad to see USD catch the "Hey, we're the flagship, we're relevant!" virus. UND started doing that three or four years back. It was hilarious watching the term pop up again and again in every press release, news article, and interview. It's become a beloved inside joke for us NDSU fans, and now you guys get to have the same fun. To USD & UND: If you have to constantly remind people you're the flagship, you're not.
                Thanks for the interesting comparison, Hammer. It inspires another suggested plank for USD's campaign:

"We are ... Relevant! We matter! Yes, we do!"
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                  UND and USD are both the exact same University, just in different states.

Poorly run, poor vision and a terrible trajectory since becoming D1, with no end in sight.
                  2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

Ah, high school memories . . .

"WE'RE . . . A . . . FLAGSHIP! (Clap, clap) YES (Clapclap) WE ARE!!"
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      Thanks for the interesting comparison, Hammer. It inspires another suggested plank for USD's campaign:

"We are ... Relevant! We matter! Yes, we do!"
                      "We are good enough, we are smart enough, and doggone it, people like us."

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        "We are good enough, we are smart enough, and doggone it, people like us."
                        That sounds like something someone coming from Minnesota would say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IBleedYellow View Post
                          UND and USD are both the exact same University, just in different states.

Poorly run, poor vision and a terrible trajectory since becoming D1, with no end in sight.
                          They're the FHawkers without hockey and a nickname controversy.
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            They're the FHawkers without hockey and a nickname controversy.
                            So in this case, USeD comes out ahead.
                            2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

2er343.jpg

The real question that needs to be answered here.

sd.jpg
                              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]967[/ATTACH]
                                Someone needs to make this into a poster for the USD game.

Comment

Working...
                                X