Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tebow

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Sure. But there's nothing illegal about not liking someone, even if the reason is ridiculous. Discrimination in most cases is illegal.
    Right.
    Great moments are born from great opportunities.
    ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Caught this on someone's facebook page, got a good laugh out of it. Jimmy Fallon doing a parody of David Bowie's Space Oddity concerning Tim Tebow.

Don't know why the video is mirror, suppose someone did a poor job of re-ripping to youtube.
      "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

I care about Tim Tebow and his opinion off the field as much as I care about any other QB in the NFL and their opinions off the field, not one bit. Tebow is a below average NFL QB, no logical person would argue otherwise. That said, the entertainment based media (yes ESPN is entertainment based not news based) is all about the emotion and drama of sport. So, they run with stories like this because they generate interest and form opinions that lead to debates that some of us consider ridiculous while others are entertained. If I'm a diehard Broncos fan who has some knowledge I recognize that Tebow is not likely to be the answer to long-term or sustained success at this level. So, what are the other options? Not for me to figure out.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          I care about Tim Tebow and his opinion off the field as much as I care about any other QB in the NFL and their opinions off the field, not one bit. Tebow is a below average NFL QB, no logical person would argue otherwise. That said, the entertainment based media (yes ESPN is entertainment based not news based) is all about the emotion and drama of sport. So, they run with stories like this because they generate interest and form opinions that lead to debates that some of us consider ridiculous while others are entertained. If I'm a diehard Broncos fan who has some knowledge I recognize that Tebow is not likely to be the answer to long-term or sustained success at this level. So, what are the other options? Not for me to figure out.

Not only are you the professor of jackrabbitude, I think you're the professor of everythingtude.
          Great moments are born from great opportunities.
          ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Not to be argumentative, but a logical person with no emotional investment would say Tim Tebow is an above average NFL quarterback.

7-4 as a starter this season (his second season in the league)
            Playoff appearance (his second season in the league)
            Playoff win (his second season in the league)
            Pro Bowl alternate (his second season in the league)

Sounds at least average to me.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              Not to be argumentative, but a logical person with no emotional investment would say Tim Tebow is an above average NFL quarterback.

7-4 as a starter this season (his second season in the league)
              Playoff appearance (his second season in the league)
              Playoff win (his second season in the league)
              Pro Bowl alternate (his second season in the league)

Sounds at least average to me.
              I suppose that depends upon whether or not you are evaluating the proper parameters. Analyze the wrong data and you come up with wrong conclusions. Tebow didn't win those games, the Broncos did. Pro Bowl selection is largely based on popularity. I'm not arguing with you just pointing out the flaws in the logic that use these variables as support of his individual ability to perform as an NFL QB when compared to other NFL QB's. He is below average as are most young and inexperienced guys.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I suppose that depends upon whether or not you are evaluating the proper parameters. Analyze the wrong data and you come up with wrong conclusions. Tebow didn't win those games, the Broncos did. Pro Bowl selection is largely based on popularity. I'm not arguing with you just pointing out the flaws in the logic that use these variables as support of his individual ability to perform as an NFL QB when compared to other NFL QB's. He is below average as are most young and inexperienced guys.
                That correct the entire team should take credit for the wins. The wide receiver no 88, cant recall his name but he had some real wheels and brought in a perfectly thrown pass and crossed the goal line.

Comment

I'd say,you could claim, about a third of NFL QB'S are below avg NFL QB'S .NFL QB'S are a very elite group of players,and there's only one Tom Brady.

Comment

You're right that the data is subjective, but I'm not sure what the proper parameters are. Usually in these circumstances, each side of the argument chooses the data which supports their stance. But in the sports world, success is determined by wins and losses, and this season Tim Tebow was successful.

For what its worth, pro bowl voting is only 1/3 fan vote (popularity), the other 2/3 comes from players and coaches. I don't think its fair to say he is a pro bowl alternate "largely based on popularity." He seems to have garnered the respect of his teammates and opponents, yet the talking heads and arm-chair quarterbacks continue to express their expertise.

As to the future, I would not bet that Tebow will be in the hall of fame, win a super bowl, or even be in the league in 5 years. But, at least at this point, I won't bet against it. He is what he is, a second year quarter back who didn't screw it up, made some amazing individual plays, and has room for improvement.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      I'd say,you could claim, about a third of NFL QB'S are below avg NFL QB'S .NFL QB'S are a very elite group of players,and there's only one Tom Brady.
                      “Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!” - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        You're right that the data is subjective, but I'm not sure what the proper parameters are. Usually in these circumstances, each side of the argument chooses the data which supports their stance. But in the sports world, success is determined by wins and losses, and this season Tim Tebow was successful.

For what its worth, pro bowl voting is only 1/3 fan vote (popularity), the other 2/3 comes from players and coaches. I don't think its fair to say he is a pro bowl alternate "largely based on popularity." He seems to have garnered the respect of his teammates and opponents, yet the talking heads and arm-chair quarterbacks continue to express their expertise.

As to the future, I would not bet that Tebow will be in the hall of fame, win a super bowl, or even be in the league in 5 years. But, at least at this point, I won't bet against it. He is what he is, a second year quarter back who didn't screw it up, made some amazing individual plays, and has room for improvement.
                        I agree, I think atleast give him the chance to be the starter going into the season with an offense that is designed to play with his style. he has only been in the league 2 years and not even a starter for a whole season. He helped this team do somethings that I dont think Orton or another QB could have done. He had a great game passing against a good D in the playoffs, set some records. Frankly I am impressed with the guy, espcially with all the wise epsn talking heads rail on him saying he isnt a QB doesnt deserve it etc. He has proven to be a winner at every level of football. I have no doubt he will transition to the NFL and still be a win. I am not a broncos fans, I disliked him while he was in florida because I dont like florida or SEC football, but once he got to the NFL and learned more about him and he wins in the chances he is given.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Tebow's problem is that he has never shown any indication that he has the capability to be accurate on short throws.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            That correct the entire team should take credit for the wins. The wide receiver no 88, cant recall his name but he had some real wheels and brought in a perfectly thrown pass and crossed the goal line.
                            Except for the entire Indi. Colts team can't take credit for all the wins the last 10+ years, only Peyton Manning can. With him out, the team can only take credit for 2 wins.

Just stirring the pot.
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

What I'd like to know is: how does the "all he does is win" mantra apply now that Tebow lost 4 of his last 5 games? IF he is a starter next year and if he wins a game, the Tebow-diehards will be saying that again.

How much were those big wins over the non-playoff Jets, Vikings, Bears, Dolphins, Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers really worth? What are the odds of getting such a lousy set of opponents for a stretch of 7 of 8 weeks? That's amazing in itself! The only playoff team they played during Tebow's "hot streak" was Detroit (35 point loss). I know, a win is a win.... but you have to admit that stretch of schedule was unusually friendly.

There was an interesting article in the Star Tribune last week comparing Tebow's completion percentage to all-time-low Viking QB Spergon Wynn (2001). Guess who completed a higher percentage of passes? That says a lot.

One win in his last 5 games and a completion percentage lower than Spergon Wynn. I'm not getting too excited about his long-term prospects as a QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                                What I'd like to know is: how does the "all he does is win" mantra apply now that Tebow lost 4 of his last 5 games? IF he is a starter next year and if he wins a game, the Tebow-diehards will be saying that again.

How much were those big wins over the non-playoff Jets, Vikings, Bears, Dolphins, Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers really worth? What are the odds of getting such a lousy set of opponents for a stretch of 7 of 8 weeks? That's amazing in itself! The only playoff team they played during Tebow's "hot streak" was Detroit (35 point loss). I know, a win is a win.... but you have to admit that stretch of schedule was unusually friendly.

There was an interesting article in the Star Tribune last week comparing Tebow's completion percentage to all-time-low Viking QB Spergon Wynn (2001). Guess who completed a higher percentage of passes? That says a lot.

One win in his last 5 games and a completion percentage lower than Spergon Wynn. I'm not getting too excited about his long-term prospects as a QB.
                                And he still completed under 50% of his passes and needed OT to win a couple of the games.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X