Bob Nielson to Kent State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bob Nielson to Kent State?

It will be very interesting to see how USD fares post-Streveler.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

I was told that SDSU offered Nagy $400K when he left for Wright State.
      Am I the only one that's not really disappointed Nagy left that money on the table? I'm not sure we'd have had the run we had last year with Nagy at the helm.*

*And for the record I was/am a Nagy fan. I think he did an outstanding job at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Am I the only one that's not really disappointed Nagy left that money on the table? I'm not sure we'd have had the run we had last year with Nagy at the helm.*

*And for the record I was/am a Nagy fan. I think he did an outstanding job at SDSU.
        I am in complete agreement with all of this. It was time for a new voice with different relationships

Comment

With Nagy people act like he didn't bring in good players to field a good team. Marshall and Parks are 2 who were not traditional freshman recruits. If he knew there was a chance he was leaving it might look like the cupboard was bare, but IMHO if he would have stayed he would have been able to field a competitive team like he usually did.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I know this isn't a Nagy thread but just wanted to respond. My recollection of the conference tournament and subsequent Maryland game was of us putting Daum down low and forcing the issue over and over again. It took Marshall, Parks and Bittle to take over at the end of games and pull it out for us, or close in the Maryland game. I'm fairly confident that he would have started last year the same as TJ with Daum on the inside. Much to TJ's credit he made the change to put Daum outside and the rest is history. It would be interesting to know if Nagy would have figured it out sooner, later or not at all.

I also am a huge Nagy fan.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              With Nagy people act like he didn't bring in good players to field a good team. Marshall and Parks are 2 who were not traditional freshman recruits. If he knew there was a chance he was leaving it might look like the cupboard was bare, but IMHO if he would have stayed he would have been able to field a competitive team like he usually did.
              I have always been of the opinion that Nagy knew he would be leaving at the end of that season. He knew that it would be a year or two, if ever, before he was able to get good guard play again and he was going to strike while the iron was hot.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Re: Bob Nielson to Kent State

I think Bob seems like a good coach. I don't know much about him so I can't say what he is like as a person. I haven't heard anything real bad about him so he seems fine to me.
                I do find it interesting that he quit Western Illinois but wouldn't sign with USD until he got a multiyear contract. I wonder what would of happened if he didn't get several years? Now this is going on. You can't say that he doesn't make things interesting.
                Can you blame a guy for trying to leverage as much as he can as long as he can?

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  I have always been of the opinion that Nagy knew he would be leaving at the end of that season. He knew that it would be a year or two, if ever, before he was able to get good guard play again and he was going to strike while the iron was hot.
                  He was absolutely leaving given the opportunity. Had wanted to get out for a few years

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    ...before he was able to get good guard play again and he was going to strike while the iron was hot.
                    Guard Cole Gentry made the trip with Nagy to Wright State and becomes eligible second semester, this season. I wonder how he'll do at Wright State.

Comment

This thread needs retitling: such as Why Nagy Left? Or guards who played for Nagy. Did he leave money on the table?

Comment

It seems only appropriate that a thread based on rumors about USD's football coach should continue to be nothing more than nonsense.

Someone run to Baker's Square and order pie.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                          If Stig lobbied for any $ at all it would be for his Assistants, that would be my guess. I think we can comfortably say he is here for the duration.
                          One of multiple reasons I'm firmly entrenched in the pro-Stig camp.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            It seems only appropriate that a thread based on rumors about USD's football coach should continue to be nothing more than nonsense.

Someone run to Baker's Square and order pie.
                            Good idea. Cherry or apple would be my preference. BTW is Bob staying or moving on? I am lost.

Comment

I'll go on record as saying Nielson is a good coach. And he'll continue to do good things down south.

Their offense will lose a little with Steveler graduating, but the game he sat out most of with the injury... the backup (Simmons?) performed well. And their young defense will be better. He's doing a really solid job. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just looking though Jackrabbit colored glasses.

If he has another good season at USD, maybe a win or two more than this season... he'll be a "hot" candidate for a bigger school, I'm sure. (regardless of the new contract)

He runs the "uptempo" no huddle style, that is all the rage and he's had success at every stop. Seems like he's a good recruiter. He's going to be attractive to someone, if he continues to improve the Coyotes program.

This will just make it more expensive to lure him away.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nidaros;323780]Good idea. Cherry or apple would be my preference. BTW is Bob staying or moving on? I am lost.[/QUOTE

He is staying...but as one person reminded me this is eerily similar to how he left Western...until Kent St has a guy in place they won't rest easy.

I'll also add that the MVFC is better when the yotes are competitive...

Comment

Working...
                                X