Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colorado State

Originally posted by goon View Post
    not to rehash old threads but Stig is going to be here till he decides to retire. our a couple of horrible seasons with bad records not making the playoffs. I doubt we have to worry about him wanting to stick around another 20 years.

I think if you find the right coach and get the right pay, I could see people like bono or Otz staying. Like mark Few at Gonzaga, long way till we get there clearly. but being a top mid major isn't a bad gig at all. depends on what the coach wants, but keep the pay increasing to be competitive and we might have some coaches stick around away.
    I wasn't trying to stir up the Stig pot. My post was more regarding the person that replaces him, whenever that is...

I think the pay thing will be very interesting to see where that goes. It isn't like SDSU has a money tree out back to pay the coaches with...do you think there will come a time where they have to choose which sports to put a majority of the salary into?
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

It takes the right coach and situation for a great mid major coach to stick around for a long time. Salary wise the largest schools will always be able to spend much more in order to get the top coaches. The good side of being a mid major coach is the stability if the fan base likes you and can endure a few more "tough" seasons compared to the large schools where you get pushed out (with a huge buyout). I almost think where someone is from makes a difference if they would stay or not. SD is a great community feel but many who are from large cities do not care if they only use it as a stepping stone. I know a lot of people who wouldn't mind bringing home a good mid major salary a year and knowing they and their kids can live in a stable environment over a large salary and the unknown of the future. There will always be those who want to go for the greener pastures.

Comment

I think if we want our coaches to stick around we should probably be looking at D2 or D3 coaches and mid major assistants from here on out. When you've been to the top, nothing replaces that level of competition. Budgets are bigger, which means less busy work outside of coaching and more luxurious travel. Much more of a chance that people coming from P5 schools use us as a stepping stone in my opinion.

Would you rather eat at Ruth's Chris or Texas Roadhouse?

Comment

We will always be a stepping stone place and for me that's ok. Do you really think a D2 or D3 coach is going to be able to recruit the Jenkins Jr type player? I think not. You need a coach with connections. Enjoy the ride while it lasts and then start over. Opportunities knock and money talks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
            I think if we want our coaches to stick around we should probably be looking at D2 or D3 coaches and mid major assistants from here on out. When you've been to the top, nothing replaces that level of competition. Budgets are bigger, which means less busy work outside of coaching and more luxurious travel. Much more of a chance that people coming from P5 schools use us as a stepping stone in my opinion.

Would you rather eat at Ruth's Chris or Texas Roadhouse?
            I am familiar with Texas Roadhouse which has good prime and steaks, but Ruth Chris? Never heard of the joint? Does the fish taste fishy?

Thanks to Google Ruth Chris is an excellent steak house, question answered, Thanks google.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
              We will always be a stepping stone place and for me that's ok. Do you really think a D2 or D3 coach is going to be able to recruit the Jenkins Jr type player? I think not. You need a coach with connections. Enjoy the ride while it lasts and then start over. Opportunities knock and money talks!
              I can answer your question in one word NO, but if Otz gets a better deal somewhere else, there will be plenty of candidates. Our NCAA appearances will help draw good candidates. I would agree that recruiting networks are very important.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                I am familiar with Texas Roadhouse which has good prime and steaks, but Ruth Chris? Never heard of the joint? Does the fish taste fishy?
                Ruth's Chris, https://www.ruthschris.com/menu/dinner/...absolutely the best...heck, the hash browns are worth the trip alone. Nidaros, there is one DT Minneapolis, that is your best bet.

As for Otz and any other coaches...I think this program will always be seen as a great stepping stone for those looking to get the P5 job. Great community, support, Administration and tradition. Add in the facility upgrades and this should continue to be one of the more appealing mid major stops. Money speaks a lot but remember the dollar goes much further out here than other places...whether it be taxes or cost of living alone. Quality of life is also a plus...so be it an AJ who's solidified his life here or a young coach looking to make that initial next step Brookings and SDSU should generally have an upperhand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                  Ruth's Chris, https://www.ruthschris.com/menu/dinner/...absolutely the best...heck, the hash browns are worth the trip alone. Nidaros, there is one DT Minneapolis, that is your best bet.

As for Otz and any other coaches...I think this program will always be seen as a great stepping stone for those looking to get the P5 job. Great community, support, Administration and tradition. Add in the facility upgrades and this should continue to be one of the more appealing mid major stops. Money speaks a lot but remember the dollar goes much further out here than other places...whether it be taxes or cost of living alone. Quality of life is also a plus...so be it an AJ who's solidified his life here or a young coach looking to make that initial next step Brookings and SDSU should generally have an upperhand.
                  I answered my own question with a google inquiry, and a edit of the prior post. No doubt, Ruth does not serve seafood, and its been a while since I been in MLPS, for any thing. Not a big Vikings fans so dont make trips for that. Yes, I agree Brookings does have a lot to offer a coach with a growing family and yes we are a stepping stone. We don't have to explore the D2 or D3 candidates unless they got an NBA background or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                    I think it's a good thing if our coaches have higher ambitions. They won't achieve them if they don't succeed in Brookings. If our coaches are so successful that upper level schools want them, then that is a good problem to have. If we aim at lower level coaches in the hopes of keeping that longer, that seems dumb.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Everyone has had great comments about what coach Otz might do. I don't have much of anything to add except this... He is supposed to be a great recruiter. So far he seems like a really good head coach. Besides Jenkins, he has 4 new players who haven't been in a college game yet plus 3 more this fall. Is he a 'job jumper' before he tests these recruits? I'm thinking only his wife has heard him say anything about this if at all. I'm guessing he's not a job jumper or absolutely so money-hungry that he quits the 'SD State race' soon after he starts. Guess we will see!

Comment

Great discussion about Otz.

But what about Bono. He's taken the wrestling program to heights I don't think anyone envisioned. I couldn't find an attendance for the Oregon St dual, but the other five duals have an average attendance of 2,118. I'm guessing very few programs in the country have support like that.

How many programs are there that will be truly better than what he has here? There is no reason SDSU can't become a national power in wrestling and if Bono would stay here he'd be a legend. Some might say money talks, but in wrestling are we really that far behind when it comes to coaching salaries? I couldn't find any info with a quick Google search, but have to think the money difference between SDSU and the powerhouses isn't what it is in basketball and football.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          Great discussion about Otz.

But what about Bono. He's taken the wrestling program to heights I don't think anyone envisioned. I couldn't find an attendance for the Oregon St dual, but the other five duals have an average attendance of 2,118. I'm guessing very few programs in the country have support like that.

How many programs are there that will be truly better than what he has here? There is no reason SDSU can't become a national power in wrestling and if Bono would stay here he'd be a legend. Some might say money talks, but in wrestling are we really that far behind when it comes to coaching salaries? I couldn't find any info with a quick Google search, but have to think the money difference between SDSU and the powerhouses isn't what it is in basketball and football.

ITs probably enough like several hundred thousand which is nothing to turn your nose at. couldn't imagine a lot of wresting programs paying coaches the million dollar range. As long as the pay is competitive and great recruiting area its not bad job by any means, and can be that national power. I actually thought wrestling was going to be one of the sports that did better during the transition but boy was I wrong. Bono proved it has the ability to thrive here.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Dresser at Iowa State:
                            "Pollard and Dresser agreed to a seven-year deal worth a total of $2.25 million in guaranteed salary plus incentives. His base salary for next year is $300,000. Similar to other high profile personnel announcements at Iowa State, the hiring is pending a university background check."

It was reported last year that Pittsburgh was offering Bono double what he was making at SDSU.

Comment

Bono makes $130k at SDSU.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                Bono makes $130k at SDSU.
                                Is he on a multi year contract?
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X