Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
    Augie sits in the biggest city (by far) in the state! If they get SF buy in they will be golden. IMO most negative comments are based on fear or jealousy. Get some donors lined up and give it a whirl. If they could get 10% of SF to attend a basketball game your only problem would be you don't have an arena big enough to hold them! Most of our home games are actually somewhat of an away game for fans as they must travel a distance. Its much easier to take your event to the people versus expecting them to come to you.
    Who would buy into augustana basketball in the summit league who isn’t already a fan ?

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
      Who would buy into augustana basketball in the summit league who isn’t already a fan ?
      Yeah, didn't realize we were having trouble selling out the Denny for the SLT.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        Augie to the Summit is fine and would probably be a good thing for the Summit. However, can we stop talking about Augie to the MVFC? That is not even a consideration. IF they go D1, they will be non-scholly football and probably join the Pioneer League with Drake.
        Why are we so worried about them in the MVFC ? (Which I don't believe they will be). Let them in and pound the crap out of them and show em they don't belong or........deal with with them. I can't believe your scared of them Cappin? We already play teams just as bad as they could be (which we pay for by the way). Every conference has a top and a bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
          You don't think Augie would increase attendance at the SLT? To my knowledge we have never sold out the Denny?

Comment

Can’t argue with this statement. If you are sitting in the chair of President Herseth-Sandlin, you have to be wondering do you wager all the academic programs and goals against a four of five times increase in the Athletic budget. Even dropping football will most likely lighten the load but will still require a ton of corporate sponsorships. It’s up to the SF business community to come forward. Will that happen? We will soon see.

Comment

Why are we so worried about them in the MVFC ? (Which I don't believe they will be). Let them in and pound the crap out of them and show em they don't belong or........deal with with them. I can't believe your scared of them Cappin? We already play teams just as bad as they could be (which we pay for by the way). Every conference has a top and a bottom.
              You’re quite possibly so far out in left field on this that you’re not even on the field anymore. It’s not a consideration because there is NO WAY IN HELL THEY GET ADDED BY THE MVFC. Period. They will have no support to do so. By anybody. In the entire conference. That and they will struggle for the finances without adding the financial burden of a FCS program. They’re not getting invited to the MVFC. That’s why it’s not a consideration. Cappin isn’t afraid of diddly. He’s stating there’s a 0% chance of it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

What? How did you get "I'm scared of them" out of my post? I was merely stating that they won't be in the MVFC, so we can stop talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  You’re quite possibly so far out in left field on this that you’re not even on the field anymore. It’s not a consideration because there is NO WAY IN HELL THEY GET ADDED BY THE MVFC. Period. They will have no support to do so. By anybody. In the entire conference. That and they will struggle for the finances without adding the financial burden of a FCS program. They’re not getting invited to the MVFC. That’s why it’s not a consideration. Cappin isn’t afraid of diddly. He’s stating there’s a 0% chance of it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I'm guarding the line. There are a lot of pull ball hitters on here.

Comment

I agree with this from the Summit League front because really, could Augie be really any worse than Omaha, IPFW, etc? I wouldn't be shocked if their MBB/WBB programs were middle of the pack day 1. Probably good for the Summit on that front.

However, they have no business being in the football business if they move up. Like I said earlier, I suspect that the MVC is wanting to add Murray State, which means bringing their FB program into the MVFC (gross...). So that puts us at 12 teams. Do we really want a 13th team that I suspect right now wouldn't be competitive at all? Yes we sucked when we made the move up, but we had the benefit of being the only D1 show in town (or state in this case) and were able to quickly build a talent base by offering local players the D1 experience. Augie would be coming up 3rd in line in a small state, so think they would find it much more difficult.

So I guess I'm ok with Augie moving up assuming that their FB program either goes the way of the Pioneer league or they cut it all together (like Omaha). I hate the idea of adding them to the MVFC though.
                    Are we only talking about Football, MBB and WBB?

I think when you said, "Yes we sucked when we made the move up", you were talking about football. Our football team was 6-5, 7-4, 7-4, 7-5, 8-4 when they moved up.
                    NDSU's football team struggled when they moved up. Look at them now.
                    For SDSU, it was their MBB team that sucked. They had that hugh senior class and then players like Andy Mueller (?) transferred out. The cupboard was bare.
                    Our WBB team recruits locally but our MBB team will only have 2 players from SD after this season (counting Beau Brown). Our football team has a few players from SD but it's not like the DII days.

Comment

You don't think Augie would increase attendance at the SLT? To my knowledge we have never sold out the Denny?
                      It didn't sell out for the first-ever men's SDSU/USD tournament game (a huge deal) and failed to this year for the USD/SDSU final (an even bigger deal). Our home attendance has stayed flat even with the likes of Daum, Wolters and a nice pile of NCAA tournament appearances. I'm just fine with Augie joining the Summit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Can’t argue with this statement. If you are sitting in the chair of President Herseth-Sandlin, you have to be wondering do you wager all the academic programs and goals against a four of five times increase in the Athletic budget. Even dropping football will most likely lighten the load but will still require a ton of corporate sponsorships. It’s up to the SF business community to come forward. Will that happen? We will soon see.
                        I probably wouldn’t. nsic is a strong d2 conference that houses all their sports right? The summit is unstable and a bottom level d1. Football would have no where to go other than pioneer. That would suck for them. What about wrestling?

The only point im making is that from the summits perspective it’s got to be a no brainer. As an Sdsu fan I could care less.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          I live in SF and love SF. I wouldn't live anywhere else in South Dakota, honestly.

0 Sioux Falls hate from me with Augie's move. I don't want them to be D1 because I think 3 D1 Universities in SD is ridiculous, and I think it further moves SDSU from being associated with teams like UNI and moves us closer to being associated with schools like USF.
                          Put me in this camp as well (Sioux Falls resident as well).

Comment

I probably wouldn’t. nsic is a strong d2 conference that houses all their sports right? The summit is unstable and a bottom level d1. Football would have no where to go other than pioneer. That would suck for them. What about wrestling?

The only point im making is that from the summits perspective it’s got to be a no brainer. As an Sdsu fan I could care less.
                            Personally I think the move is not a good idea, but what I think does not matter to the movers and shakers in SF. I agree the NCIS is a good fit for all of Augustana sports. A move to be successful for Augustana is going to be very expensive. SDSU budget for scholarships this year is 4.1 million dollars. That of course includes 63 football and I don’t how many equestrian scholarships. The 4.1 figure is from Jackrabbit Club brochure. The brochure stated about 40k for each full ride. I have no idea what full costs would be at a private school but no doubt much more and a Cracker Jack fund raiser is badly needed to make up extra costs through corporate sponsorships.

Comment

Part of the problem in my opinion is many Jack's fans only show interest in basketball when the Summit League Tournament is in Sioux Falls. It's an event not to be missed. That's great, but meanwhile regular season home games in Brookings are sparsely attended. Maybe more would attend to see a familiar team like Augie rather than ORU or IFPW.

Comment

It is very likely that I would be an Augie basketball season ticket holder if they were in the Summit.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X