2017 regular season attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 regular season attendance

I agree that the students need to have the party atmosphere in tailgating, and that the policies the athletic department/UPD implemented last year have killed it. In a perfect world, you could have a student area separated off a little ways, and let it be that mosh pit/party scene and leave the rest of tailgating at "dull roar" levels. A big issue is the layout of our tailgating here.

The problem is, as long as the backyard is the place to be, that's where the kids will go. They aren't stupid. If you have all the rigs back there and all the corporate sponsors, they aren't going to go into a lot somewhere else that isn't already well attended. I know this will not be a popular opinion, but unless the backyard transforms and is no longer the epicenter of tailgating, kids aren't going to go for a different locale. They're too entrenched in that area, and coupled with the new crackdown on drinking/wristbands, I don't see the student atmosphere for tailgating changing for the better anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
      I agree that the students need to have the party atmosphere in tailgating, and that the policies the athletic department/UPD implemented last year have killed it. In a perfect world, you could have a student area separated off a little ways, and let it be that mosh pit/party scene and leave the rest of tailgating at "dull roar" levels. A big issue is the layout of our tailgating here.

The problem is, as long as the backyard is the place to be, that's where the kids will go. They aren't stupid. If you have all the rigs back there and all the corporate sponsors, they aren't going to go into a lot somewhere else that isn't already well attended. I know this will not be a popular opinion, but unless the backyard transforms and is no longer the epicenter of tailgating, kids aren't going to go for a different locale. They're too entrenched in that area, and coupled with the new crackdown on drinking/wristbands, I don't see the student atmosphere for tailgating changing for the better anytime soon.
      Any tailgating area with even a whiff of institutional support will necessarily "crack down on drinking/wristbands" for students. That's simply a given considering the social and legal environment today.

It would be nice to think that students could self-police but that simply isn't going to happen either, because students.

Ideally, it seems like it would be a good idea to set up some kind of festival area adjacent to the student entrance to the stadium (like CappinHard suggests), set up a stage of some kind for pre-game (and post-game!) music and entertainment. I'd even suggest as a part of the festival area an over-21-student beer-serving area, but don't allow beer out of that area and don't allow under-21's into the area. Maybe even a big tent, heated for the later-season games, and accessible to the students during halftime (A sort of Club 71 for the students?) to help keep the students there and not leave at halftime. (Heck, move the big heated tent over to the student entrance of Frost for basketball games!)

The other thing, I think, is that you'll have to police it heavily but with a light touch, if you know what I mean. Have an abundant and visible law enforcement presence but instruct them to only intervene if somebody is truly going off the rails and being stupid . . . swearing, getting really obnoxiously loud/aggressive, falling-down-drunk, that sort of thing.

Any sponsors out there willing to step up to the plate?
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

3-4 years ago there was an area devoted to pregame festivities for students. It did not draw real well. There was a DJ and roped area. However, I would expect that alcohol for all was not included. I would encourage anyone that is confident in keeping students under control with unlimited alcohol to step right up. It may be advisable to get an attorney or two on retainers just in case the decision turns bad. It is a wide open arena for those who endorse tailgating for minors to drink. There is likely room in The Backyard for you to rent. It could be under the Public Service Banner.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I'm not really going to add to the tailgating discussion and whatnot.

The biggest thing the program can do to draw fans, is continue to win. If they would happen to win a National Championship, I have no doubt that you'd see a big bump in attendance.

Fans and students show up and cheer for a winner. You can call it what you want, bandwagoning, fair weather, whatever...

The team has continued to improve and win, and the attendance has continued to rise. Comparing SDSU to NDSU is an exercise in frustration doomed to fail. They have won, and won big, for years... long before they were Division I. And they are located in ND's population center. The Jackrabbits fanbase will NEVER be what NDSU's is.

The product on the field is what people are coming to games for. That is the big draw, and that's really the only "for sure" way to increase the fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            The other thing, I think, is that you'll have to police it heavily but with a light touch, if you know what I mean. Have an abundant and visible law enforcement presence but instruct them to only intervene if somebody is truly going off the rails and being stupid . . . swearing, getting really obnoxiously loud/aggressive, falling-down-drunk, that sort of thing.
            I think this is the way to do it.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Also, I know this has been hashed over, but I will guarantee you that if the stadium was built with a roof, we would have seen that 40% increase within a few years. Obviously easier said than done and I love the stadium we have. Just basically pointing out the obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                I think this is the way to do it.
                Agreed. That's the way that it was when student tailgating and attendance was very successful.

Comment

Just don't wristband. Have a UPD presence but don't search out for problems. Example: the AGR spot is near mine. It appears that both actives and alumni use that spot (at least they have in the past). They were there for 1 game this year. They were playing music, sitting/standing around and talking, with some playing beer darts. Nothing crazy. It looked like most students had wrist bands but UPD still went through their spot and asked people for IDs. There is no need for that. After that, the group didn't come back.

I'd encourage anyone that thinks students aren't drinking on Saturdays to drive through the neighborhood between 8th and 6th St. south of campus. STUDENTS ARE STILL DRINKING. Except, in a much riskier manner; no supervision, hard alcohol, bongs, keg stands, etc.. Then instead of going to the game and sobering up, they are just staying at their house party and continuing to drink. This sure seems worse to me then having them in the backyard or in another somewhat supervised area around the stadium or in the backyard.

Ruining student tailgating is not stopping underage drinking on Saturdays.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                    Just don't wristband. Have a UPD presence but don't search out for problems. Example: the AGR spot is near mine. It appears that both actives and alumni use that spot (at least they have in the past). They were there for 1 game this year. They were playing music, sitting/standing around and talking, with some playing beer darts. Nothing crazy. It looked like most students had wrist bands but UPD still went through their spot and asked people for IDs. There is no need for that. After that, the group didn't come back.

I'd encourage anyone that thinks students aren't drinking on Saturdays to drive through the neighborhood between 8th and 6th St. south of campus. STUDENTS ARE STILL DRINKING. Except, in a much riskier manner; no supervision, hard alcohol, bongs, keg stands, etc.. Then instead of going to the game and sobering up, they are just staying at their house party and continuing to drink. This sure seems worse to me then having them in the backyard or in another somewhat supervised area around the stadium or in the backyard.

Ruining student tailgating is not stopping underage drinking on Saturdays.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      I'm not really going to add to the tailgating discussion and whatnot.

The biggest thing the program can do to draw fans, is continue to win. If they would happen to win a National Championship, I have no doubt that you'd see a big bump in attendance.

Fans and students show up and cheer for a winner. You can call it what you want, bandwagoning, fair weather, whatever...

The team has continued to improve and win, and the attendance has continued to rise. Comparing SDSU to NDSU is an exercise in frustration doomed to fail. They have won, and won big, for years... long before they were Division I. And they are located in ND's population center. The Jackrabbits fanbase will NEVER be what NDSU's is.

The product on the field is what people are coming to games for. That is the big draw, and that's really the only "for sure" way to increase the fanbase.
                      You have to grow the entire culture surrounding the football game . . . it doesn't just happen.

Winning regularly is a big piece of it. Not laying egregious eggs on Hobo Day (for instance) is a piece of it. Winning national championships are obviously a part of it.

Tailgating is a piece of it. Improving the student experience and finding ways to attract students on a regular basis, and keep them in the stadium after half time are all pieces of it.

Better advertising and promotion is a piece of it.

An actual, modern stadium is a part of it.

Putting a video board on the north end, either hanging from the SJAC or on top of the Dykhouse Student Athlete Center is a part of it.

Growing the city of Brookings is a part of it.

There aren't any magic bullets to increasing football attendance to Montana Griz levels. Just a lot of hard and usually not very glamorous work.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

One thing not mentioned in this otherwise puzzling thread (Why do you care if someone else YOU DON'T KNOW doesn't go to a game?) is to improve the connectivity in DJD. Social media posts of people having a great time, while they're having a great time, is huge. I cannot get calls, texts or tweets during games, on Verizon.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                          One thing not mentioned in this otherwise puzzling thread (Why do you care if someone else YOU DON'T KNOW doesn't go to a game?) is to improve the connectivity in DJD. Social media posts of people having a great time, while they're having a great time, is huge. I cannot get calls, texts or tweets during games, on Verizon.
                          This, very much this. I have AT&T and it's better, but still lacks when there are a lot of people around.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            Also, I know this has been hashed over, but I will guarantee you that if the stadium was built with a roof, we would have seen that 40% increase within a few years. Obviously easier said than done and I love the stadium we have. Just basically pointing out the obvious.
                            I think this nailed it. If fans knew that no matter what the weather was, the game was going to be at 70 degrees (with no precipitation concerns) we would see a huge increase in game day numbers. My wife for instance likes to tailgate, but goes home and listens to the game because she doesn't like cold weather. I personally prefer the outdoor feel of the game, but I certainly was very happy that the playoff game was indoors at Fargo last year when my thermometer on my truck read -12 the whole way up to Fargo. So the question is how we get people here to embrace the outdoor cold games like they do in Montana? Certainly some of that has to do with improving the tailgating/game day experience leading up to the game. Getting the UPD to stop acting like total D*$#s is probably a good start. Heck, even letting people go out at halftime or continue to tailgate during the game. It's not like people who wouldn't otherwise go to the game are going to decide to go in because they are kicked out of the tailgate area. Does anywhere else actually close the tailgate area before the game?

Comment

Why is it puzzling for a fan to want a full stadium? I bet the players would prefer to have a full stadium over a half-full one.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Insufficient telecommunications infrastructure seems to be a much bigger issue, campus-wide, than SDSU and perhaps the Regents care to admit. That can and should be fixed immediately. Also, Filbert makes a great point about the need for a video scoreboard on the north end of the stadium. Nearly everyone, except the students in the student sections, can see the scoreboard on the south end. Students make up an extremely important segment of the Jacks' current and future fan base, if not the most important one of all. They should treated accordingly.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X