Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blake Treinen

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    Not sure I would put a period there yet. WashPo says this morning he made a case for the post-season with last night's performance, albeit still a long shot. His right-handedness is obviously against him; long shot, yes, but to state it that flatly is overstating it, IMHO.
    If they had to chose now, I would agree that he is not in the plans.

The thing is, if they need a starter, he's probably the choice, if they need a bp arm, he could also be the choice.

When we get to this part of the year, arms get tired, guys lose it, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      If they had to chose now, I would agree that he is not in the plans.

The thing is, if they need a starter, he's probably the choice, if they need a bp arm, he could also be the choice.

When we get to this part of the year, arms get tired, guys lose it, etc.
      They don't need a starter. They have an abundance of starters.

Treinen gets one more start, a week from tonight, I think, and if he pitches well then he will at least keep himself in the mix; Post describes him on the playoff "periphery" and the prime example of just how deep the Nationals' pitching is. At some point the logjam in the organization is going to create problems for the Nats, and kids like Treinen are going to get antsy and maybe look to pitch in the Bigs elsewhere. The Nats are loaded in the system behind him and committed for a couple of years to the core starters they have now; they have their closer of the future in Storen, who is an absolute beast right now. Good news is that Treinen has surpassed a lot of kids his age in the organization, and he has both starter and closer potential. My feeling watching this team all year is that his best bet would be to develop in to a closer. He has dominant closer stuff - definitely, and from a fan's distance, at least, seems to have the even-keel makeup for a closer. His biggest problem in his last start was keeping his two-seam fastball, which concurrently sinks like crazy and moves laterally in on righties, in the strike zone. Good problem to have. He's starting to throw a changeup that was taught him at Syracuse. If he develops that into a big league out pitch, with his serviceable breaking stuff, he could be something to watch. Every time he pitches the Nats announcers go nuts on the movement of his hard stuff. Honestly, I think it's the best on the staff; he just needs to get more refined. A sub-2 E.R.A. over 50 innings in the bigs is a helluva start.

Comment

At some point the logjam in the organization is going to create problems for the Nats, and kids like Treinen are going to get antsy and maybe look to pitch in the Bigs elsewhere.
        Doesn't matter one bit what those kids want. Organization has full control for 3+ years of big league time. I like the rest of your point though. I can see how Blake could make the roster, his stuff plays in every situation. Soriano has been awful, who knows what the plans for him are. Blake could be another young starter that makes the playoff roster in relief based on stuff, ie David Price and Justin Masterson

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
          Doesn't matter one bit what those kids want. Organization has full control for 3+ years of big league time. I like the rest of your point though. I can see how Blake could make the roster, his stuff plays in every situation. Soriano has been awful, who knows what the plans for him are. Blake could be another young starter that makes the playoff roster in relief based on stuff, ie David Price and Justin Masterson
          He would have to leapfrog the current fifth starter for that, as well as Stammen and Barrett.

Sometimes it does matter. Tommy Milone asked to be moved by the A's a month ago after he realized he was going to be stuck behind some newly acquired starters. A's traded him to the Twins.

Comment

He would have to leapfrog the current fifth starter for that, as well as Stammen and Barrett.

Sometimes it does matter. Tommy Milone asked to be moved by the A's a month ago after he realized he was going to be stuck behind some newly acquired starters. A's traded him to the Twins.
            Kind of a different situation in that Milone will be arbitration eligible this offseason, and will be due a substantial raise based on his career so far. He knew a trade was possible and just wanted to go somewhere he could start if it did happen. The organization could have told him to just deal with being stuck in AAA, but they chose to move him. I'm sure the A's didn't want to pay an 86mph lefty ~$3.5M either.

I agree Blake has some people blocking him, I'm just holding onto this sliver of hope!

Comment

Treinen will start Game 1 of the Nats v. Mets tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                Treinen will start Game 1 of the Nats v. Mets tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                evrything was up and he probably had his worst outing as a Nat. Just hope it didn't leave a lasting impression on team. Still, finished with a 2.45 ERA over about 55 innings

Comment

Treinen may have gotten a big break today. Nats traded away Tyler Clippard, and this is what MLB.com is saying:

With Clippard gone, either Aaron Barrett or Blake Treinen could become the eighth-inning setup man. Although Treinen is known as a starter, the Nationals see him as a late-inning reliever. Barrett had a productive rookie season in 2014, posting a 2.66 ERA in 50 games. He was often used in the middle to late innings.

Comment

Following on the Nats' trade of Clippard and the impact on Blake, the great Tom Boswell writes in today's Washington Post: "The Clippard-Escobar trade has a cogent rationale. The Nats have lots of strong young arms, such as Blake Treinen with his 95-98-mph sinker, to fill out the bullpen."

Comment

I will have to spend the money budgeted for Milwaukee Bucks gear on new Nationals gear.

Thanks, NoVaJack, for keeping us posted on Blake

Comment

Treinen has been lights out in two appearances so far this year, and the Nats TV broadcasters are going on and on. "Real deal" and "bright future" two lines used tonight. Busted two bats in one inning.

Comment

Found this interesting article about Blake. It would be fun to see him pitch, his stuff sounds impressive, it would be fun to see him get it figured out and be a dominant MLB pitcher. The ability is certainly there.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...7721/?page=all
                          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

not able to post on here but ESPN mlb coverage has had 2 articles talking about Blake. 1 one he was driving cross country for spring traning with his bulldog. The other was he was apart of a jeopardy question.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              not able to post on here but ESPN mlb coverage has had 2 articles talking about Blake. 1 one he was driving cross country for spring traning with his bulldog. The other was he was apart of a jeopardy question.
                              How was he a part of a Jeopardy question???

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                                How was he a part of a Jeopardy question???
                                The Jeopardy "answer" was "The Nationals' Blake Treinen has hit 100mph with this pitch that gets its name from its downward motion."

Comment

Working...
                                X